Top Gun 2 early screenings, extremely positive first reactions.

One 48

2 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

He didn't have to put kids through college I guess? And he got into BitCoin early ...

Mav could have bought stock in Microsoft or Amazon. 

Then again, he could have invested in  Fannie Mae.  :D

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

I wonder if they remember to take the ejection seat detent wheel off this time in the cockpit shots.......the detent holds the seat to the ejection gun 

Given that a lot if not all cockpit shots in this movie were shot in F18s in flight. It's likely. 

In the original  movie neither Cruise or any of the actors flew in actual F14s. Just mock ups. The US Navy wasn't having that at the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

I wonder if they remember to take the ejection seat detent wheel off this time in the cockpit shots.......the detent holds the seat to the ejection gun 

Let us hope so - from what Ward Carroll has said they have tried to be more authentic  this time let's wait and see

Colin 

Edited by ColinChipmunkfan

I watched it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're looking for a documentary on the Super Hornet then this isn't it, I won't post details or spoilers but I recommend that you just go to the biggest screen you can see it on, don't think too much and ENJOY it. It's a movie after all.

Just got back from the cinema.  Great film and great entertainment.  It’s superbly done and even my wife ( who didn’t like the first one) loved it!

I was fortunate enough to go and see it for the first time yesterday - Cineworld IMAX at Crawley.

I will reserve comment so you can all enjoy without my opinion other than  I will say that it made a 47 year old big kid and my 8 year old little kid very happy together. Only warning I would make if you are taking little ears with you is that there is one F bomb, which you don’t see coming!!! 
Now I just need to find another willing subject to go with, so I can see it again !!

• Like 4

I’m on my way now for a 1530 screening. Suspect the will be a happy 62 year old by 1800hrs, then the Crazy World of Arthur Brown this evening - did he ever have more than one hit song?

SD

• Like 1

Same here, just out of the movie theater, very enjoyable on all accounts and for once a movie you can go to with your kids without risk of inappropriate content, either violence or sex

Arnaud

• Like 2

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I want to see the movie in theatre, but after all the trailer teasers I feel I saw it already.

Oh no you most definitely have not!!! But no spoilers here!  It will take a long time to wipe this silly grin off my face!

SD

• Like 3

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I want to see the movie in theatre, but after all the trailer teasers I feel I saw it already.

Like @Swamp Donkey said... despite all that was shown in the trailers, the movie still delivers so much more. 

My "Very Simple, Spoiler Free Review": (I've copy/pasted this same review elsewhere... it's all I'm committing to write about the movie until Monday so there's no chance I spoilt it for people)

Totally worth watching!!

Just remember what they say on the Fighter Pilot Podcast, "It's a movie, not a documentary."

If you loved TOPGUN, TG:M has plenty of Easter eggs, call-backs, fan service... (call it what you will). On that end, the movie delivered. 

However, it also totally stands on it's own! My son - 21 year old who isn't an avgeek of any kind - tagged along mostly because I invited him. Without ever having watched the first one, he still came out of the theatre buzzing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

TG:M has plenty of Easter eggs, call-backs, fan service... (call it what you will). On that end, the movie delivered. 

Now I'm excited 😃 as long as it involves Jennifer Connelly, and not Tom Cruise playing volleyball again...

11 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Now I'm excited 😃 as long as it involves Jennifer Connelly, and not Tom Cruise playing volleyball again...

LOL I was referring to "fan service" in the non-cheeky context...

But there's a shirtless beach football scene that will surely please those that like that sort of thing. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

But there's a shirtless beach football scene that will surely please those that like that sort of thing. 

I refer you to my previous reply 😂

Just like the movie Fury,should be fun,just want to be entertained,it's only a hollywood movie.Im looking forward to it.

But hey,it can't be a total disaster like say Pearl Harbor,or I will be out on it quickly.

5 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

But hey,it can't be a total disaster like say Pearl Harbor

I can tell you it isn't one, I liked it at least as much as I liked the original in 1986! Missed Charlie's seamed stockings, though!

• Like 1

I saw it lastnight and quite liked it.

It still has enough "Switch your brain off and suspend your disbelief" moments to be good cinema fun, while at the same time being rather more respectful of the realities of a fighter pilot's world than the original was. The pilots in the sequel are still the dominant "type A" personalities that fighter pilots are known to be and we saw in the original, but this new batch (for the most part) also know when to shut up and take notes.

The comedic moments feel mostly genuine and unforced and the romance scenes are much more believable than what was seen in the first one.

It also comes with a positive message about letting go of grudges.

How they worked Val Kilmer and his recent health problems into it in his "Iceman" role was very well handled and quite respectful to both the actor and his character.

I loved the original Top Gun when I was a teen, but couldn't sit thought it as an adult without a lot of cringing and fast forwarding through stuff. I don't think I'll have the same problem if I watch the sequel again ten years from now, it's definitely the better of the two.

Edited by upnorth