Top Gun 2 early screenings, extremely positive first reactions.

One 48

Should be worth a watch, was a bit indifferent about original film, but know its a cult classic, we do not get many films of this genre so will definitely go to support my local cinema on the 25th May and if its as good as they say will buy the Blu Ray when it comes out.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/top-gun-maverick-release-date-tom-cruise-b2068196.html

• Like 1

Let's hope the ridiculous, Hollywood "wish-fulfillment" of the first movie has been left behind. In the original's final scene, the F-14 pilots could have very easily brought about WW3, but that is entirely glossed over, of course.  Billions of people dying, in return for a load of fighter-jocks having their "moment in the sun"? Doesn't seem like a fair trade to me. 

Still, Tinseltown and reality have never been close buddies, have they?

Chris.

• Like 3

Heh, with movies like this I just wear my blockbuster "popcorn and large coke" head and forget about aviation realism :) As Scale Modellers we strive for ultra realism and can be quite un-forgiving, same with Flight Simmer enthusiasts too, both groups can be quite hard to please at the movies, LOL.

If its as good as all the previews of the early screening says, it will be a fun ride all the same though, kinda looking fwd to it now 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking  forward to the new Top Gun movie in a week or so, as I am sure we all are,  Ward Carroll ex Tomcat RIO has posted a spoof done by a Tomcat squadron just after the original film was released.  Check it out on Youtube it is called Pop Gun. 🙂

Colin

• Like 2

I don't care that it probably won't be very realistic, or that such-and-such wouldn't have happened, or this, or that, or the other.  I've been waiting for this since I was a kid and I'm bloomin' well going to enjoy it!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I don't care that it probably won't be very realistic, or that such-and-such wouldn't have happened, or this, or that, or the other.  

I always say to enjoy a movie you have to leave your critical faculties as to realism and such like at the pop corn stall coming into the cinema.  On the discussion on here about Kelly's Heroes and Tiger tank engines the point was made that the story behind the guys is perhaps not the best moral if you think about it.  That's true as regards so many movies when you stop and analyse them. 

Top Gun Maverick will be just one to sit back, forget we ever knew anything about aeroplanes, go with the spectacle and enjoy with the family. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I always say to enjoy a movie you have to leave your critical faculties as to realism and such like at the pop corn stall coming into the cinema.  On the discussion on here about Kelly's Heroes and Tiger tank engines the point was made that the story behind the guys is perhaps not the best moral if you think about it.  That's true as regards so many movies when you stop and analyse them. 

Top Gun Maverick will be just one to sit back, forget we ever knew anything about aeroplanes, go with the spectacle and enjoy with the family. 

I agree it is, first and foremost entertainment-the format is film not a technical manual.

Colin

• Like 1

All booked for next Thursday. Suspect like the first one, the story will be a bit ‘meh’ but the flying well worth the watch. Doubt it’ll beat the Tomcats, but hey, it’ll still be fun. Rewatched the Final Countdown the other day, and some cool stuff in that film too

SD

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Looking  forward to the new Top Gun movie in a week or so, as I am sure we all are,

Are you ex general service RN....bizzare thing back in the 80s the most requested film by ARKs  ships company was top gun much to the bemusement of 801 NAS .🤣🤣

Yes and no doubt Ill watch it (in disguise)🥸

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Been waiting for this film for ages, I will leave my anorak at home for this one, sit back, relax and enjoy it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

Very much looking forward to this one, Top Gun was THE film of my mid-teens, and only poured fuel on the fire of my flying ambitions 😂

Hoping to save this to watch on IMAX, but as I saw the original three times at the cinema, this will probably go the same way ☺️

Here's Pop Gun for the Googly challenged:

It's genuinely funny and self-deprecating, loads of decent in-jokes but not impenetrable for non-aviation people.

• Like 3

How are they going to shoehorn Tom Cruise’s P-51 into the plot?

Max Junior seeing it tonight at a charity showing. We’ll be seeing it soon 

Trevor

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

How are they going to shoehorn Tom Cruise’s P-51 into the plot?

Yes...'thirty years on an O-4/O-5 government salary and owns his own P-51' is one massive plothole to fill...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I don't care that it probably won't be very realistic

Just like the first one, then.  :D 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been looking forward to it as well.  Leave your brain at the door, and enjoy the movie for what it is: a fun time watching fighter jets zoom around.  Who doesn't like that?

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 6:37 PM, Alan P said:

It's genuinely funny and self-deprecating, loads of decent in-jokes but not impenetrable for non-aviation people.

The amount of "fines" that would've been handed out for breaching protocols, would have been massive! The entire class fiddling with pens... A superb slapstick approach to fighter weapons school.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:11 PM, Alan P said:

Yes...'thirty years on an O-4/O-5 government salary and owns his own P-51' is one massive plothole to fill...

Potentially as a consultant or test pilot for a manufacturer in a private capacity. Or some type of related story.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, Alan P said:

He didn't have to put kids through college I guess? And he got into BitCoin early ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well in a first, Top Gun is the first movie both me and my wife want to see together. But for entirely differing reasons. I didn't know her back then but photos of  her at the time of the original, shows hair suspiciously like Meg Ryan's.😉

I was never bothered by the lack of realism in the original even though I was already knowledgeable enough to recognise it. It won't this time either. We'll be bringing our teenagers with us. They know little of Top Gun and their disinterest in aviation is total. Their reaction will be interesting.

I  enjoyed the Popgun video. Definitely a couple of chuckles. I loved the start with him kicking increasing amounts of FOD into the tie-down points just  before he boards the F14. 

Thanks for the link @Alan P

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1