Lockheed TriStar Air Canada and Demonstrator,Otaki 1/144

These two kits were started in early 2021,but just got finished recently.

2020 saw the 50th anniversary of both the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar and the McDonnell Douglas DC-10,so these were built,a bit late I know 😊 ,as part of my anniversary builds.

The DC-10 Demonstrator is already here on the RFI.

This is the original Otaki kit released somewhere around 1970-1972 and is the most accurate TriStar injection moulded kit.

They are being sold for silly prices on some well known sites because of their rarity status.

I did not mention the Eastern Express kit here,because its more or less a copy of the Otaki kit,with some slight modifications and added parts.The exception is the -500.

It features recessed panel lines and lots of details everywhere on the parts.

They are a tad too deep,but nothing that sandpaper cant fix and with paint on,its quite ok.

A nice feature that comes with the kit are the air stairs.Otaki provides not only one but two ! and also a display stand is included.

The decal has options for the TWA twin globe livery and the All Nippon Airways "mohican" livery.

They are nicely printed,a bit thick though.

Due to their age,the carrier film has a bit yellowed but otherwise they are fine.

For my builds I chose the Demonstrator version and the Air Canada delivery scheme.

The demonstrator decals are from Classic Airlines by Nick Webb.

They are of good quality,durable and fit on the model with just minor adjustments.

Some extra parts are included if something goes wrong or does not line up properly.

The Air Canada decals are from 26 and are wonderful as well.

A big plus there is the detail sheet with everything necessary provided.

The windows are from Authentic Airliners.

Paints are from Tamyia and Gunze.

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 44

Lovely work as always Alex.  I don't know how you keep up such amazing productivity and such high standards.

The Doyusha kit really captures the outline and character of the Tristar. I had forgotten that the demonstrator has the black windscreen surround - a sort of early pre-echo of the A350! Your models remind me that I must get round to finishing my Eastern Express 500 which has been in primer for about a year.

Dave G 🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

As Dave says, lovely models up to your usual high standard! Hard to believe it is the 50th anniversary, I remember seeing the prototype flying in pseudo BEA speedjack livery at Farnborough. Was it really that long ago? I must be getting old!

These are the first Otaki Tristars I have seen, they do look very good, it is a shame that they disappeared.

Cheers

John.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I love the L-1011 and you have done a fantastic job on these two aircraft.  I believe this to be the most beautiful of all the wide body jets.  Thanks for posting!

Thank you very much.

I agree,the TriStar ranks among the most elegant airliners built.

I always had a soft spot for them.

12 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely looking TriStars, great builds !

Wulfman

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Lovely work as always Alex.  I don't know how you keep up such amazing productivity and such high standards.

The Doyusha kit really captures the outline and character of the Tristar. I had forgotten that the demonstrator has the black windscreen surround - a sort of early pre-echo of the A350! Your models remind me that I must get round to finishing my Eastern Express 500 which has been in primer for about a year.

Dave G 🇺🇦

Thank you very much Dave.

I had a lot of time the past few months,so I could catch up with many pre-started kits and clear off the bench a bit.

Thats true,they had that black windscreen idea many years ahead of Airbus.

It was a bit problematic though to find a decal thats still visible,so thst it would not just be a black spot.

3 hours ago, Viking said:

As Dave says, lovely models up to your usual high standard! Hard to believe it is the 50th anniversary, I remember seeing the prototype flying in pseudo BEA speedjack livery at Farnborough. Was it really that long ago? I must be getting old!

These are the first Otaki Tristars I have seen, they do look very good, it is a shame that they disappeared.

Cheers

John.

Thank you very much John.

I might do that BEA kind of livery one day,there are still some TriStars in my stash without decals....

2 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely pair!! Well done.

Miguel

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, Maginot said:

F.A.B.

Thank you very much

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 15:58, SAT69 said:

Both models are wonderful but the Demonstrator stole my heart. Just gorgeous!

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Two beautiful built L-1011s. Gorgeous. 

Thank you very much

19 minutes ago, gazza l said:

An excellent pair of Tristars, nice work.

gazza l 

Thank you very much

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AV O said:

Hi Alex,

Very nice models you made.

How I envy the decals you used.

Hasegawa in their Tristar prototype release omitted the users flags row. That was a shame as the kit deserves it :

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28345-tristar-dc-10-1200/

Thank you very much.

I know what you mean.I also have the Hasegawa demonstrator,its a real pity.

I got mine from classic-airlines.com courtesy of Nick Webb.

He does some real nice decals in different scales and has a lot to choose from in 1/200.

Here is the link to tje TriStar demonstrator in 1/200

http://www.classic-airlines.com/2035.html

Alex

14 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

TWO TRISTARS? That's going to need a lot of room. 

Beautifully built. Perfectly painted. X2

Thank you very much.

Shelf space is a bit of a problem at the moment.

I need to rearrange my hobbyroom a bit 😊

3 hours ago, AV O said:

Or scale down  !

Cheers !

There are some 100+ Hasegawa kits in my stash,might be a good idea for the near future 😊😉