IJN Akagi

Baron Vaderham

I noticed that currently Hasegawa has two versions of the IJN Akagi on the market. The 1941 version from 2008 and a more recent version named  battle of midway. The latter is supposed to have some parts changed. I heard the only part that has changed was one of the stickers. Is that correct?

Also, there’sa lot of PE available. Hasegawa themselves release a complete set, a set A, a set B, a set C, and a wooden deck set. Then there’s offerings from Eduard as well. 
so was wondering, which PE set(s) should I get for it (besides the wooden deck)? Is the complete set a combination of A, B and C, or is it separate? Do the Eduard PE offerings to the Hasegawa PE sets or are they supplementary?

Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Dudzio said:

Hi! It's been a year. What did you find out? Please leave a comment for posterity :) 

Whate exactly are you wanting to know, Dudzio?

I've got the kit and a few upgrades so am happy to try and help. :)

James.

It's still not clear what are the differences between the original kit from 2008 and the its rebox from 2021 (battle of Midway version). Just the decals or something else? Which one do you have James? :) 

Hi Dudzio,

I own the 2nd boxing of the kit (Pearl Harbour release without the bonus poster), and as far as I can tell the only difference is the decal sheet.

Akagi was completely unchanged between Decemeber 1941 and Midway according to her TROM.

Regarding PE,

to make a truly complete Akaga as Hasegawa have envisioned you will need;

Basic Set A (handrails)

Basic Set B (safety nets and some other stuff, I haven't actually opened up the sets to see the instructions)

Basic Set C (aircraft parts, jackstays, launch cradles, oars?)

The Super Detail Set (this contains the entire truss assembly at the bow and stern underdeck as well as some white metal parts which resemble rolled up futons which were tied to the bridge area)

and then Hasegawa's own deck or Voyager's deck. I have no idea on what the voyager deck is like so can't comment on quality or fit etc

Alternatively, for a cheaper look use these sets by Eduard;

General upgrade set with railings, ladders, davits, crash barrier and wind net

Containing the rear posts holding up the flight deck from the stern

I hope that's helped somewhat,

James.

• Like 2

Nice summary, thanks! Can't wait to see your work, hope you'll make a topic on the forum.

Did you find any reviews of 1/350 aircrafts? There are two manufacturers who produce them in plastic: Hasegawa and Fujimi. The second one is visibly cheaper (in terms of price per one plane). Do you or any of our colleagues know if Hasegawa (QG30 721302) is worth paying extra (vs. Fujimi 60073) ?

• Like 1

Hasegawa QG30 is just a copy of what you get in the Akagi kit, 3 zeroes, 3 vals and 6 kates.

I've never seen Fujimi 60073, but looking at it on HLJ, it seems like you get 10 of each.

That said, the quality from Hasegawa is MUCH better than Fujimi, I just had a very quick comparison between my Akagi's aircraft and my (Fujimi) Shokaku's, and there is no competition really in terms of detail, especially when you combine this Infini model upgrade with the Hasegawa set!

So in a head to head competition, Hasegawa would win, but if you're looking to really fill up a flight deck, I'd happily go with the Fujimi set, as there's still plenty of detail in them and you get almost 3 times as much in a box!!

Hope that's helped,

James.

• Like 1

May I suggest Very Fires aircraft upgrade set C for Taiho, obviously check on them being the right planes but when I got mine I paid 50 for 47 aircraft, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 2