Platz 1/72 T-1B Jet Trainer

Robert

Here is my submission for the Group Build, Platz 1/72 Fuji T-1B. As you can see there is not a great deal of parts and is a fairly new kit from 2018, although this boxing is from 2020.

It will be built straight out of the box and the challenge for me is I do not like painting white. The decals will also be a challenge as there are many so will be going slow and easy. Onto the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is it 3 grey sprues and a canopy which is nice and clear as well.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 12

welcome along Robert, with a very nice and colourful choice.

An interesting aircraft, she looks to to have been a bit inspired by F-86's they use to use, and why not they were an amazing aircraft.

It looks to be a nice model too. I do like the colour scheme a lot, but as you say white can be a bit difficult to paint and to get it to look right. Decal wise just thank your lucky stars she isn't an F-4 Phantom!!!!

Good luck with the build, another great model I'm looking forward to seeing in the gallery.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but here is where I am at.

A start was made on the internals these are the cockpit, nose intake and engine exhaust (not shown). Decals are provided for the instruments. Cockpit painted dark gull grey and aluminium for the air intakes. Everything fitted nicely inside the fuselage halves.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fuselage was then glued together and the wing parts mated together. The seats and control sticks were added also seatbelts  came from an Eduard etch sheet (not sure which one). The canopy was maked and blu tacked to the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The fuselage and wings were glued together and no major problems with getting them together. Then onto paint I dread painting white but his time it came out really good. I painted over the bare plastic, no primer was used. In doing so the panel lines still showed up which breaks up the surface. The tailplanes are just pushed fit as they will need decalling separately. The undercarriage and airbrake bays are next to be painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

See you next update.

Robert

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

That white did going on very nicely by the looks of it, and you are right with how the panel lines now show up, you really don't need to do a panel wash at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Onto the final part the decalling. There is a problem which l will mention later.

I made a start on one side of the fuselage and upper wing. In the background you can see the drop tanks painted and decalled. The decals are printed by Cartograph and worked really well. The decal designer created large decals to make your life easier.

spacer.png

I then did the other side a day later just to make sure the decals i have done already were secure. The Hinomarus are separate from the large decal pieces although l wish they were all one part as one. Careful study of the decal placement diagram helped in getting everything looking right. There were a few places where the decal did not meet up quite correctly but to overcome this sapre decal stripes are inclued.

spacer.png

On to the undersides. Once againg large decal pieces to lay down. No maor problem just time and patience needed. The centre line stripe is made up from a number of pieces ut just follow the guidence and it will be fine. Once all the major markings were put on, then came all the stencils.

spacer.png

And finished. I sprayed a satin coat overalland a matt varnished the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Its a great kit but let down by on thing the decals. Although I have praised them they have got the blue colour incorrect, it should be a darker blue as seen on my first post of the box cover and instruction sheet. Never the less it is a great little kit of the JASDF jet trainer.

Regards

Robert

• Like 6

Well done Robert, and what an awesome looking build!

I love the scheme and what a nice job with the finish as well, you should be very happy with that.

I have to admit I've never seen one of these trainers before, at first glance you think it's a Sabre until you see the intake.

Again well done on producing a lovely model and I do hope you enjoyed the build.