Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/AS - Hptm. Friedrich-Karl Muller July 1944

I've been meaning to attempt this one.  I've had this kit for over a year, and feel it's about time I built it.  As the title says, I'm going for the "Hptm. Friedrich-Karl Muller July 1944" build.

52021275563_a4e03f6c31_z.jpg

The usual starting point is building the cockpit, but it looks like I have a very small missing part.  I suppose I could get away without having it.  It looks to be a small wheel mechanism that sits to the left of the pilot.

With these kits, are there any useful aftermarket parts that would enhance this build?

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

The Eduard 109’s are great kits Andy. You’ll love it if you haven’t built one before. 

Look forward to seeing some progress pics. 

James 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, franky boy said:

The Eduard 109’s are great kits Andy. You’ll love it if you haven’t built one before. 

Look forward to seeing some progress pics. 

James 

Thanks very much.  It is indeed very detailed.  Have a dilemma, Do I opt for all Aqueous paints, or use something similar from the stash.  Their H65 black green looks similar to Tamiya XF27.  But I think the H65 will have a different finish.  I'll probably use all Aqueous paints for the main external camo colours. 

1 hour ago, Andy350 said:

The usual starting point is building the cockpit, but it looks like I have a very small missing part.  I suppose I could get away without having it.  It looks to be a small wheel mechanism that sits to the left of the pilot.

IIRC there are three parts that make up the trim wheel assembly - two wheels (to be joined together) and the floor mount.  If you are only missing one of the wheels, I'd just fit it as is.  Alternatively, unless you are planning to mount the canopy open, then I wouldn't worry too much about not fitting any of it, as it's very difficult to see once it's all closed up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Werdna said:

IIRC there are three parts that make up the trim wheel assembly - two wheels (to be joined together) and the floor mount.  If you are only missing one of the wheels, I'd just fit it as is.  Alternatively, unless you are planning to mount the canopy open, then I wouldn't worry too much about not fitting any of it, as it's very difficult to see once it's all closed up.

I did think about having the canopy open, but I'm not using any aftermarket so it's a little pointless.

Yes, it's the second part of the that wheel you mentioned.  There are some small decals for the cockpit, so I guess these won't be seen either.

52038184009_165d3953cd_c.jpg

52037987403_e1ce083132_c.jpg

• Like 4

• Andy350 changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/AS - Hptm. Friedrich-Karl Muller July 1944

The interior will not really be seen, so I now try and make an effort for the times where the cockpit will be open.  I've used a small sponge with some silver Vallejo air.  Then washed with thinned enamel black.  Yes, it's a little OTT!!

52041958578_6625a0dfb6_c.jpg

52047623795_849f5d9a3c_c.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Canopies masked, and yes, that took me ages!!

On 29/04/2022 at 14:19, Andy350 said:

With these kits, are there any useful aftermarket parts that would enhance this build?

masks..... that's what you don't get in the weekend kits... and some etch seat straps.    This is why Eduard do the profipacks!  

A query, have you got any plans/use for the Finnish decal options ?  'd be interested in them if not....

cheers

T

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

masks..... that's what you don't get in the weekend kits... and some etch seat straps.    This is why Eduard do the profipacks!  

A query, have you got any plans/use for the Finnish decal options ?  'd be interested in them if not....

cheers

T

I did think about buying a mask set, but thought I would give it a go.  Some of my other kits did include the mask set, I didn't realise the weekend kits don't contain masks and etch.  I'm not going to do anything with those decals, you're free to have them.

2 hours ago, Zack said:

@Andy350

You are of to a good start here! 

If you still need that wheel let me know, might have an IP somewere as well.

@Troy Smith 

War time or post? 

With Regards

Zack

Many thanks.  It's ok, It's a closed canopy so I just ignore that missing part.

Made some progress.  I've been looking at pre-shading, fairly tricky having a steady hand to follow the lines.  The first two colours are down, RLM76 Light blue and RLM grey.  Next will be some more mask so that I can lay down the RLM 74 Dark grey.  I'm not sure what effect the pre-shade will have, it needs very think coats on top.

52049724231_8ffe96337c_c.jpg

52049757438_792db597e2_c.jpg

52049724221_1311eafbdf_c.jpg

• Like 3

The three main colours are now on, the paint went on really well, proper first time of using the Aqueous Hobby colour.  Still the underside, lower sides and the two thick bands on the back of the fuselage to go!!!  I chose not to freehand the camo because, there is plenty of freehand to with the dark grey, so might show up as some nice contrast.

PS, pre-shading on the upper wings didn't really come through as much as I'd hoped, but that's ok.

52050916320_2136ee2467_b.jpg

52049367422_7189728c22_b.jpg

• Like 4

Painting completed, then a few coats of A.MIG Glossy Varnish and then the decals + tiny stencils, not decided if I will be using the really, really tiny ones yet!

52054809659_57185015a2_b.jpg

• Like 1

What an idiot.  I thought it would be a great idea to AB dry the decal, not sure why I was in such a rush.  Blew this one right off the wing!  I was lucky to be able to salvage this much!!

52055892283_e2b049410c_b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Had a bit of an odd reaction. Applied some oil wash, blended with white spirit. Not really sure what happened. 

Nooo!

2 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

What turned out to be an accident has worked out ok.  I'm able to control that look and dial it back a bit.

Yaaay!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Looking good! Your mishap with the oil wash seems to have worked out ok. 

Thanks you.  It was a bit touch and go.  I'll admit, it wasn't the finish I was expecting, but got to something I was happy with.

• Like 2