PK551 - Matchbox Handley Page Victor K.2 by Jobbie.

Hey, Guys. I'm in the middle of building Matchbox's Victor for a group build on a Facebook group - "British Aviation In Scale". I was listening to the podcast "Plastic Model Mojo" episode 62 the other day. At the 11 minute mark, they mentioned this very group build. I found myself being totally impressed by the concept, so I had to seek it out. 

I started my build on 1 April 22 and the Facebook group build's scheduled to conclude on 30 June 22. These date's neatly align with this Matchbox thingy, so I've decided to be part of it.

Whilst I've been on Britmodeller for a couple of years, this is my first build on this site. It may take me a while to come up to speed, but I always welcome advice.

6ExKQaBh.jpg

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Jobbie said:

Hey, Guys. I'm in the middle of building Matchbox's Victor for a group build on a Facebook group - "British Aviation In Scale". I was listening to the podcast "Plastic Model Mojo" episode 62 the other day. At the 11 minute mark, they mentioned this very group build. I found myself being totally impressed by the concept, so I had to seek it out. 

I started my build on 1 April 22 and the Facebook group build's scheduled to conclude on 30 June 22. These date's neatly align with this Matchbox thingy, so I've decided to be part of it.

Whilst I've been on Britmodeller for a couple of years, this is my first build on this site. It may take me a while to come up to speed, but I always welcome advice.

6ExKQaBh.jpg

That was my email they read!

It was nice to get a Britmodeller shout out on Plastic Model Mojo.

As John McClane once said, "Welcome to the party, pal!"

(although it should be a lot less violent)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m still trying to figure out how to post stuff here. I’m also on a model ship world forum. It had the same engine (invision community), but you can just post stuff from your iPhone there. For the life of me, I can’t see why your moderators don’t just flick the same bloody switch. 

I've heard the intakes are notoriously bad with this kit. There's terrible seams on the sides and the guide vanes don't align too well. before I glued the upper and lower wings together, I placed a strip of Tamiya tape along the inner and outer sides of the intake ducts aligning the top, straight edge of the tape with the top of the duct moulding.

Then I used a pencil to follow the contour of the scolloped lower edges of the ducts. I peeled off the tape, cut along the drawn lines with a blade and then stuck them to 0.4mm plastic card making sure I flipped the top wing stencil's tape edge to meet the corresponding lower wing stencil.

It all worked out rather well. I found the only adjustment I had to do later was to shorten the cards slightly, as I didn't allow for the engine intake faces being hard-up against the sides of the duct.

spacer.png

• Like 3

The kit was generally good. I was impressed by how well the wings slotted into the fuselage. Fitting the  outer wing to the inner wing was more of a problem. There isn't enough meat on one surface to fit well into the other. And what there was, I found I had to chop and shave it all away to reduce what would have been a large gap. Once I was happy with that, I glued the wing together with Selley's Araldite- an Australian two-part epoxy. I placed five wooden stirring sticks under each engine nacelle to square everything up so the wingtips touched the table surface. Then I left it set 24 hours. 

It was at this point that I decided that I wasn't going to put too much effort into this. I won an Airfix 1:72 Victor B.2 in a Models For Heroes fund-raiser organised by James Skiffins, and it arrived that day. Looking through that kit, I decided I'd go the full effort with that one...Eduard PE Interior detail set, external detail set and airbrake set ordered. More decals ordered. Wallet blown.

As a result, the only effort I put into this cockpit was masking tape seatbelts and a scratch-built rear crew table. (I forgot to take a photo.) Black dots painted on a grey instrument panel to represent gauges.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

The windscreen wasn't a bad fit, but I wasn't great either. Mind you, it was a better fit than the crew entrance door and airbrake.

I cut my own masks. I sliced off the refuelling receptacle because I bought a MasterModel turned aluminium replacement with two turned brass wingtip probes. (Personally, I don't think they're pitot probes out there on the wingtips. They're too far away from the instruments they'd supply a reference to. I reckon they're HF antennas all the way out there. Can anyone confirm this?

You can kinda see the card I placed on the inside edge of the intake duct in this photo.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Camouflage time. I used SMS paint that conforms to:

BS641 / FS34079 - Forest Green (SMS PL77)

BS637 / FS36440 - Medium Sea Grey (SMS PL108)

White undersides - (SMS PL02).

This photo was taken before I went back and cleaned up some edges I wasn't happy with. I am, however, very happy with the colours. I generally use SMS lacquer paints when I can for exteriors and Vallejo Model Air acrylics for interiors.

spacer.png

• Like 5

The original decals that came with the kit work, but they're very cloudy and generally look stuffed. So I purchased a replacement set from PrintScale; part # PSL72187. I was even less happy with them. All the underside stripes are red rather than fluorescent orange. So I decided to use both sets as a marking template to paint the stripes myself. 

It all went rather well, actually. I started by diluting the orange with a few drops of white to "sun-fade" the stripes...particularly the over-wing ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jobbie
Grammer.
  • Like 6

Fluorescent Orange (SMS PL46), mixed with white for a first coat, then more orange for the second. Less white as I moved away from the "sun", as it were.

I realised the next day that I accidentally reversed the long stripes under the fuselage. I was just going to leave it, but found...I just couldn't. I re-sprayed it the day after.

spacer.png

Edited by Jobbie
Grammer.
  • Like 3

Looks like it's too late now, but you fell right into one of the traps of this kit. Its so inaccurate they got the number of clear panels on the canopy wrong.

The middle one is nowhere to be seen on the kit. 

_DSC0138

The camo work looks great. Can't wait to see all the orange markings finished. 

I've used printscale decals before, on a 1/144 Vulcan but even then I only used the generic markings. The quality of the decals themselves is pretty good and they perform well but the design is just.... lacking. Colours all wrong, detail just about acceptable for 1/144 but miles behind other available options and those details that were there were more often than not wrong in some way. They made those decals in 1/72 as well... avoid! I saw that for an equally inaccurate 3D printed Vulcan that was being produced and listed for a few hundred, they simply scaled up those decals which are just about OK in 1/144 to 1/48!

1 hour ago, Jobbie said:

I cut my own masks. I sliced off the refuelling receptacle because I bought a MasterModel turned aluminium replacement with two turned brass wingtip probes. (Personally, I don't think they're pitot probes out there on the wingtips. They're too far away from the instruments they'd supply a reference to. I reckon they're HF antennas all the way out there. Can anyone confirm this?

They are pitots. The Vulcan B1 and Vickers Valiant had a similar arrangement. The Vulcan B2 moved them under the nose. 

• Thanks 1

I spent a full day contemplating which squadron I was going to reproduce. I now had the original Matchbox decals, a sheet of Xtradecal Victor Collection (X72256) and PrintScale HP Victor (PSL72187) and the decals with the new Airfix kit (A12008). I was building for a Facebook "British Aviation In Scale" #Falklands40 group build, so it had to be an aircraft which took part in the Black Buck raid. 

I also had to choose which aircraft serial I was going to make with the Airfix build later. I still can't decide between an anti-flash white Blue Steel aircraft or a camouflage one, but I figured if I didn't use a serial starting with "XL" fir this build, I could have more flexibility for the later build. So I looked up which aircraft were assigned to 57SQN that had a serial that didn't begin with the letters "XL"...

I settled on "XH672". 

You could say that I experienced an existential Victor stencil crisis. Haha.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Lower formation stripes completed. The pods are missing lots of detail, but that's a combination of a forty year-old kit and after-market ones printed in the wrong colour. 

I look forward to building the Airfix kit. The lack of all detail in the wheel wells is...understandable. But I figure it's not worth spending the time on this one. It sits so close to the ground, anyway.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi @Jobbie you've made a fair fist of this near-40-year-old kit.

The wingtip probes are indeed for the pitots, the Mk. 1 Vulcans had theirs on the wingtips also, probably to keep them in clean (non turbulent) air.  I've posted elsewhere regarding the loss of XH668 with all on board when the starboard probe failed during a high-speed, high-altitude test.

Edited by stever219
  • Thanks 1

The only decals I used from the Matchbox decal sheet were the walkway stencils over the wing-root. They're the only ones I had as I want to use the Airfix ones for that build, sometime later.

Note the (quite small) brass pitot probes and aluminium refuel receptacle. I like them a lot. Much better than the kit-supplied ones.

I used AK Panel-liners to mark along-side the raised panel-lines. I rubbed them back with a slightly thinner-damped cotton-bud after a few hours. 

Note the terrible silvering under the serials on the empennage. My bad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

And there we are! I'm calling her completed. I added couple of antenna cut from plastic card, and re-made the towel-rail antenna from stock. The towel-rail still look a tad large, but better than the kit-supplied one.

(Oh! I just noticed I hadn't removed the maskol from the aft crew observation windows at this point.) 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Handley Page Victor XH672 first flew in 1960 as a B.2 bomber, was the last Victor converted to a K.2 tanker in 1978, was the lead aircraft for the Falklands Black Buck raid in 1982, flew in Black Buck 2 and 3-4, flew the highest number of refuelling missions in the first Gulf War in 1991 (52), and was the last V-bomber to be retired in 1993. 

She's preserved at the RAF Museum at Cosford, now painted in desert hemp and is known by the name she aquired in the Gulf War - "Maid Marian".

spacer.png

• Like 3

That’s a fantastic result! A lot of work but what an aircraft the Victor was . Well done, an inspiration to others who have this kit, like me! All the best . Mike.

• Like 2