FINISHED Castrol Toyota Celica GT4 Monte Carlo '93

Redstaff

Hopefully the Surtees for the Matchbox GB will be finished tonight as I've just got to decal and add wheels etc.

So as I said before I'm throwing my hat in the ring with this one to add a little color to the GB 

Made a little start last night while the glue was drying on the Surtees, I cut some parts off the sprues and removed the raised seam lines on the body shell. Hopefully get a bit of primer thrown at it tonight then onwards as they say :) 

It's amazing how big and solid the kit feels after a couple of 1/32 flimsy Matchbox cars, it's much more suitable for my sausage shaped fingers 🤣

Looking forward to the hopefully usual Tamiya fit of parts as well, need a good MOJO build after the Matchbox ones 

I'm just hoping the decals aren't as much of a pain as the Castrol Corolla I did a while back 🤔 

celica

• Like 11

I'm not in this GB, but my daughter bought me this kit for my birthday off my wishlist so I shall follow this one ready for when I start mine.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Paul

• Like 1

Yes welcome along to the build, with a build I know a lot of people will be interested in.

It's a nice model and a super nice scheme. If my memories right the decals can be a little bit troublesome around some of the curves and just take a little bit more persuasion to sit right.

Good luck with the build I know there'll be some interest in it, and look forward to seeing her completed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'll be watching (and maybe chipping in with a rally car myself later on) :popcorn:

Thanks, be nice not to be lonely in the rally car front. Quite a few Japanese rally car choices now as well :) 

• Like 2

Didn't manage to get any paintiing done last night, but managed this morning while SWMBO was out buying some MORE bedding plants, how can she complain I have too many kits unbuilt :) 

Made a start on the first bits I'm going to need to progress on the build

Grey primer first, then as it was outside and drying quickly, I was able to get a rattle can gloss white on the underside as it will be good enough

The 1:1 squash bottle is just there to stop the bits blowing away in the breeze, it's not a super new modelling aid I have come across 🤣

20220430_150654

• Like 9

Managed to get the running gear done over the long weekend. Loads of detail painting done and then covered by the sump guard 🤣

Have put a bit of a grime wash on to break down the starkness of the bright glossy white fllor pan, might give it a bit more.

Working on the interior now, really enjoying the build at the minute, a real mojo booster :) 

20220502_230649

• Like 10

With the chassis buttoned up, I managed to get on with the interior and got the bodyshell primed and painted in Tamiya LP2 laquer white

The more I use this laquer paint, the more I'm impressed with it. The finish is superb and glossy even without any clear coat, just a little extra thinners in the last coat :) 

Leave it to harden off a day or so, then mask up to do the black for the window surrounds. I've also done the wheels except for the decals. Must be getting on for a record quick build for me 😀

20220505_150649

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Great work so far.  Making me want to start mine :)

Go ahead, it's a great kit, goes together really well 😀

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Certainly moving right along...and no sacrifice in quality either.  

Thanks @helios16v 

I must admit, this is the first build in a while that hasn't fought me along the way, everything seems to be going right first time, probably given it the kiss of death now though 🤣🤣

It makes it so much easier and a great mojo booster 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

really lovely work, that chassis look amazing, and that finish on the body!!!! Am very jealous with how nice you got it, I struggle with gloss, though I seem to be ok with it when using rattle cans.

I agree with you on the Tamiya LP lacquer paints, they are really nice to use and do give a great finish.

keep you the great work, she's going to look fantastic! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Well, the Castrol decals aren't quite as bad as the Corolla, bu they're not too far behind 🤣

There are way too many curves, but on the whole it's not too bad, bit of patching up to do but not much. 

I made a start on the decals while I was waiting for the interior to set after assembly, hopefully tomorrow afternoon/evening I can pop the screen in, mate the body to the chassis and finish off decalling, the wheels and lights are already done ready for final assembly. There's a local toy and collector fair on over by my parents tomorrow, so I'm going to pick my dad up and have a mooch and see what's what, maybe a cheeky pint as well :) 

20220514_194829

20220514_194909

• Like 10

Sat downstairs at the table this afternoon so I could keep one eye on the BTCC on the TV whilst putting the decals on :) 

I'd been to the toy and collecters fair, but came away empty handed, only a couple of car kits, 1 I already had and the other was a Ferrari 412 from Revell for a tenner, but the decals must have got damp at some point and had attached themselves to the instructions 😒

Will give it a clean to get rid of the decal solution, fix the extra lights and make an ariel over the next couple of days then take some pics for the gallery :) 

Just a quick phone snap for now :) 

20220515_210015

• Like 12

It looks really good! I can remember watching that era of Celica rallying and thought it would be awesome to get one. There's one for sale for only $12,000 but it's an auto. The 94 Celica GT4 has a few on sale for 99K!

• Thanks 1

• Redstaff changed the title to FINISHED Castrol Toyota Celica GT4 Monte Carlo '93

Finally calling this one finished now :) 

A real mojo booster that has turned out ok with the Castrol decals and all the curves, that I was worried about 🥳

Need to restock on microsol / set though 🤣

1 teaser pic for now, then I will do a write up and get some better pics in the gallery, thanks for all the kind comments along the way :) 

Ian :) 

20220517_103200

• Like 16