turned cowlings

masterKamera

WHat is the special way to pain the german turned aluminum engine cowlings so that they get the "changes color based on angle of viewing"?

What little i can find is "paint one color then use micro paint brush to apply lines of a different color"

You can sort of get that effect by first painting a flat grey base, and then apply dots of metallic aluminum paint.   Light source quality will impact the degree of how those applied dots 'shine'.  This was my approach, but on a 1/72 French Hanriot HD.2 Seaplane:

27065819465_b84a7cce1b_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 5

14 hours ago, masterKamera said:

WHat is the special way to pain the german turned aluminum engine cowlings so that they get the "changes color based on angle of viewing"?

What little i can find is "paint one color then use micro paint brush to apply lines of a different color"

The key to light/dark changes appears to be using one very shiny paint and one much less shiny paint.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v98C7274C/www/hintsandtips/Jeannin Stahltaube cowling 'scales' hints & tips.jpg

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v98C7274C/www/hintsandtips/Fokker 'turned' cowl hints & tips.jpg

• Thanks 1

Revell supply decals to put on the cowling and forward metal area for their 1/48 Lindbergh Ryan NYP

I've scanned them and changed them into sections to print out for use to try on 1/72 and 1/48 types

As described above, one can make the project more technical, such as using a decal method.   I tried something similar with an Oeffag Albatros.  I made my own decals on clear film.  The turned aluminum or swirl areas are designed to be see through on the decal, surrounded by a base background of a mid-light grey.   These are applied over the cowl that is prepainted a metallic aluminum.

28879968987_85b16a38ff_b.jpg

After the fact observations are, I could have gone with a more darker printed grey, since clear film decals are fairly translucent.  Also, this method is finicky when dealing with curved surfaces that run in more than one direction.

The other method I've yet to try is creating a spray mask, wherein holes are made in sections of tape, followed by spraying a metallic paint of choice.  I do foresee the same problems as decals in tackling curved surfaces.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:44 AM, masterKamera said:

One special way is to use real aluminium and polish it accordingly. Yes, the cowling is turned, on a lathe.

Also a "normal" polishing is possible: