HMS Minotaur (1947 design Z) Modernized

Gidday All, HMS Minotaur now has her shelter deck fitted, and also her first weapons system, although it's not very visible in this photo. Under the unpainted section of the shelterdeck are the STWS triple torpedo tubes. It would have been very difficult to add them later, not enough clearance.

MNTR260 shelter deck fitted

The barbettes for the main turrets are glued on too. In the foreground are the superstructures which you've seen before and some platforms which are new. The wider platform with the white stripes will carry the Exocets. The other is an alternative to sit in the same location and will carry the Harpoons. In front of them will be a small deck house that mounts one of the GWS-25 Seawolf launchers. The other will sit on the aft superstructure overlooking 'X' turret.
    Although they won't be fitted just yet I've made a start on the fairleads. That's them on the wood block. 

Well, that's it for now. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 7

Gidday All, it's Sunday night and time for another update on HMS Minotaur. Below is a dry fit test of everything I've made for her so far. The shelterdeck is glued in but all else is still removable.

MNTR270 dry fit test 1

As you can see, I've done all the turrets. The 6-inch guns are quite nicely formed but  little thick near the turret I think. Also the 3-inch guns look a little long to me. I should have trimmed the mantlets a little. Oh well, too late now. I can live with them.
     Behind 'B' turret is a deckhouse that will have a GWS-25 Seawolf launcher mounted on it. It's from an Ajax kit and the launcher is on the left corner of the wood block in front of the model. In front of the bridge structure are the Exocets and their blast screens. The blast screens are hollow as they should be, not just solid bits of plastic. The platform they're mounted on can be removed and another with two quad Harpoon launchers can sit in it's place. That's also on the wood block in front.
     I've done nearly all of the directors now, and the funnels. The 3-inch directors will fit into those holes in the deck behind the 3-inch turrets. I'm also using two DCTs (Director Control Towers) from a Belfast kit for the 6-inch turrets. I've modified them a little. The funnels each have a steam pipe glued to their front, to help hide the bad joins. They also need another coat of paint.
     Instead of the aft superfiring 3-inch turrets (I don't have enough) I'll have the two Vulcan Phalanx CIWS. Again, one is on the wood block. Overlooking 'X' turret is the other Seawolf launcher, and overlooking that is it's director. This is a kit director, modified a little. Leaning up against the aft superstructure is the director for the aft 3-inch turret. It will be mounted slightly further forward from where it is now. And of course, right in front are the first of the fairleads. 
    Well that's it for now. I still have quite a bit to do but she's taking shape now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 9

Interesting to see how you work through construction of this ship Jeff. Excellent workmanship.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Thanks 1

Gidday All, here's the last of the light weapons I'm intending to fit to HMS Minotaur. The ship's Senior Officers, Capt Edward Teach and Commander John Rackham agreed that, while her main weapons were now very reliable they still relied on the ship's electrical power and sensors. So as a last ditch defense they 'requisitioned' four Bofors mk7 40mm and four Oerlikon 20mm cannon.

MNTR280 Bofors and Oerlikons

The Bofors are actually 20mm guns from the Airfix Bismarck kit, with certain additions, while the Oerlikons come from the Airfix Belfast kit. These have twin splinter shields added to them. The additions to the Bofors are the extended pedestal (which has to go down through two decks), the platform for the gun crew on which is the cockpit for the aimer on the left and the 'letterbox' rack for the ammo clips on the right side of the mounting. On top of the gun is the auto-loader. There is some Airfix plastic in there, honest. 😇
     As you can see, I had to trim a bit of flash from the Oerlikons, although I chose the best four.
Well, that's it for tonight. Thank you all for your interest and responses. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 7

Gidday All, I've schlopped on a bit more paint, trimmed and added a few more bits and done another dry fit test of HMS Minotaur. I've decided to fit the Harpoons for this photo instead of the Exocets. I don't think the 6-inch and 3-inch guns look too bad now that they're painted. I could have added more detail to the 6-inch turrets but I'm running out of time.

MNTR290 dry fit test 2

The photo pretty much says it all. That small white square is were the Vulcan Phalanx CIWS will sit. There's one on the wood block. I've drilled down through the outboard sections of the shelterdeck for the pedestals of the four Bofors 40mm, those four holes. Two of the guns are on the wood block too. On either side between the Bofors is the platform for the 20mm Oerlikons, two guns per side. They're still attached to the sprue at present. The two platforms are from an Airfix Hotspur kit, the flag deck I didn't use when I made my HMS Hardy. I cut out the middle bit that had mounting holes. I had to build up the sides a little, where the Carley floats are (from a Suffolk kit).
     The void area amidships will end up being cluttered with the boats and cranes. I also want to add two Corvus chaff launchers and some searchlights, four if I can fit them in. I was thinking of mounting the Corvus launchers on either side of the aft funnel. But I have to try and make them first as I haven't got anything that will represent them.
     I felt I had to add something to the sides of the forward superstructure as I didn't like the vast flat empty sides. But I was limited somewhat. Nothing could protrude too much or it would obscure the forward arcs of the 3-inch directors and get blasted off by the 3-inch guns themselves when engaging aircraft attacking from dead ahead. In the end I settled for stubby bridge wings (bonsai'd from my HMS Glamorgan build) and the rows of life-rafts that came with the Tiger kit. The bridge wings are just big enough for a signalman with a hand-help lamp or the skipper to stand and con the ship alongside a wharf.
     Well, that's it for tonight. Thank you for your interest and responses. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 10

Gidday TBJ, I'm not sure about the searchlights. I just assumed that they would have them. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any on the 1980's ships I've looked at lately, and I don't think there were any in the kit. If they're not fitted then it'll save me a little bit of work. So, thanks for the info.

I know that those with a detailed knowledge of the Royal Navy and their ships in this time frame will find errors with the ship and my story when I write it but this is a fun thing for me in that I can indulge myself without having to worry about research and accuracy too much.

Thanks again. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I think I'd have landed the superfiring 3" and fitted the Seawolf there (3" are a bit superfluous when you have Seawolf).  Then put another 20mm Phalanx  on the deckhouse fwd of the Exocet/Harpoon.

Whifs. Can you not love 'em!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gidday Tom, thanks for your comments. In fact I originally planned to use only the four main deck 3-inch turrets like you suggest. In the superfiring positions I'd planned the two Seawolf and two Phalanx mountings, sited en-echelon. That is, on one side the Seawolf in the forward position and on the other the Phalanx. I thought that might cover the direct ahead and astern arcs better. But this model is part of a Group Build on the ATF (Airfix Tribute Forum) and hence I felt obliged to use as much Airfix parts/plastic as possible. Therefore I decided to include all of the 3-inch turrets that I had. Also there seemed to be a bit of a void space behind 'B' turret that needed filling with something.

The reasons I chose the Seawolf for the centerline positions and not Phalanx are two fold. In my ignorance of this era of warship I was concerned that the exhaust blast of the Exocets might damage the radar unit on top of the Phalanx, and also a photo of HMS Andromeda shows her having splayed Exocets firing past a Seawolf launcher on her foc'sle.

Her total weapons outfit that I'm planning consists of:-

eight 6-inch DP guns in four twin turrets

twelve 3-inch DP guns in six twin mountings (but mainly AA)

four Exocet anti-ship missiles (later replaced by eight Harpoons)

two hex Seawolf AA launchers

two Vulcan Phalanx CIWS

four single Bofors 40mm guns

four single Oerlikon 20mm guns

two triple STWS anti-submarine torpedo tubes

This is quite a heavy outfit but I'm indulging myself. 🙂 I agree with you that Seawolf could render the 3-inch guns superfluous but I've read that missiles can be lured off target, or not lock-on in the event of radar clutter. (Didn't HMS Coventry have that problem when hit at the Falklands?)     And yeah, I love Whifs like this. 🙂

Thanks again. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

Gidday All, I've been doing fiddly stuff on HMS Minotaur. Below is a photo of the aft superstructure.

MNTR310 aft superstructure 1

If you compare this with the last photo of the ship you'll notice two extra platforms added, abreast the aft funnel location. These are for the Corvus chaff launchers. The launchers themselves are rather small and are in those wooden pegs in the foreground. The platforms are cut from an unused machinegun platform from an Airfix Hotspur kit. There's another to the right in the photo. The chaff launchers have a combined blast screen and step (well that's what it looks like) inboard of them. I've made them too but forgot to add them in the photo. They sit where the paint is scratched off the platforms.
     When I make a model of a ship that actually existed now I try to make it as accurate as I can. If the kit part is wrong or poorly formed I try to make my own now. But with this ship there is no other to compare for accuracy, it being a whiff. I'm still trying for plausibility though. Being in a group build on the ATF I am trying to use as much Airfix parts and plastic as I can while still being plausible. It's a requirement of their GBs. I've taken this as a bit of a challenge and have quite enjoyed doing so. Some of the changes I've made or extras I've added to meet this end have been:-
       using all six 3-inch turrets (I originally only intended to use four)
       the extension rearwards of the forward superstructure (Ajax kit part 14)
       the structure supporting the forward Seawolf launcher (another Ajax part 14 reduced in height)
       the casings under the funnels (Belfast kit parts 150-152, two sets)
       the platforms for the 20mm Oerlikons (Hotspur kit part 18, the unused flag deck from my HMS Hardy build)
       the chaff launcher platforms (Hotspur kit part 20)
       Carley floats (Suffolk kit)
       the Bofors 40mm guns (Bismarck kit)
       20mm Oerlikons (Belfast kit)
       two DCT main gun directors (Belfast kit)
       the bedstead radar scanner (Devonshire kit part 32)
       Exocet launchers (Leander kit parts)
       two cranes from a Hotspur kit (parts 58, 59), which I've added to.

bridge wings (Devonshire kit parts, trimmed)
I'm trying to think if I've missed any, and the build's not finished yet. 🙂 I've decided not to add searchlights.
     That's it for tonight. Thank you for your interest and stay safe. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 7

Gidday All, thanks for your comments and interest. HMS Minotaur now has her superstructures glued on. These last couple of days have been spent on the boats and masts.

MNTR350 masts and boats 2

The kit masts are a bit rough and my paint job on them doesn't help. I've been doing a few alterations and additions to them. The bedstead radar will sit atop the main mast and both of the kit scanners will be mounted on the fore mast. I'll also be adding some dome-shaped stuff (a technical term) to both masts. You might be able to make out the wing platforms on the masts for them. The domes aren't in the photo as they're very small and might get lost.
     The boats sitting on the upper deck are dry fitted at present. I'll have two whaleboats on davits just behind the superfiring 3-inch turrets. In the waist of the ship will sit four (five actually, one's a double stack) boats and two cranes. The crane bodies are Tiger kit parts but the booms are from Belfast kits. They were quite warped so I had to tweek them a bit, plus modify the crane bodies to allow the booms to fit. The boats are from various Airfix kits.
     I also intend to include two RHIBs for rapid man-overboard recovery and two HIAB cranes to deploy them. They're sitting on the front wood block, the RHIBs in the pegs. I don't know if the ships deployed to the Falklands in 1982 used RHIBs for that purpose but Captain Teach wanted them and both he and Commander Rackham had a knack for acquiring vessels that took their fancy. 🙂
     I've made most things that the model needs now, so soon I can start sticking things on in earnest. I still have to make some lockers and stuff, plus bollards and the remaining fairleads. So thanks again for your interest. Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 7

Gidday Tom @Modelholic, Yes they're modelled on the SCOT domes I'll have to make for my HMS Glamorgan when I get back to her, hopefully soon. These are smaller though, mainly something to busy-up the masts a little. Regards, Jeff.

Gidday All, I think the end of the build of HMS Minotaur is coming into sight. I think I could present a completed model tonight if wanted but I wish to busy her up a bit more. I haven't done bollards, vents, lockers etc yet, plus I want to paint one boat blue. This will have to wait until Thursday evening as I need some more blue paint.
   Anyway, I've done a major fit out today. Here's where we're up to. The photo's a little blurred, sorry.

MNTR360 major fitout 1

Everything you see here is attached to the model now. The Bofors are fitted but not the Oerlikons yet. All the boats are fitted except the boat to be painted blue. The cranes are ready but I won't add them until that last boat is fitted. They go on either side of the aft funnel, just forward of the Corvus chaff launchers. You can see a positioning hole for one. The chaff launchers aren't fitted yet but their platforms are, including the blast screens on them.
   All directors bar one are fitted. The missing director will mount behind the main mast. The RHIBs and HIABs are also fitted, but not very noticeable in this photo. The HIABs are mounted on the upper deck just behind the whaler on davits and the RHIBs are on the shelterdeck just inboard of them. I'll have close-up photos when the model is finished.
     The screws are painted, and so are both masts and their fittings. They just need assembling in-situ and their paint touched up. There's more fiddly stuff to do. Then final fit out, paint touch up and write the legend/story behind her. Hopefully not long now.
     Oh, in case you were wondering, I've made the fairleads - forty of them. More than I need, I know. Twenty have base plates and twenty without. Not sure which type I'll use yet. The reason for so many is because I find it hard to get them all consistent. Those I don't use can be put into spares for another model.
   Well that's it for now. Thank you all for your interest. Stay safe and regards, Jeff.

• Like 8

Gidday, thanks guys. Not so much from this angle but from others she has a slight resemblance to the battleship HMS Vanguard, just needs a taller superstructure forward. Well, to me any way. 🙂 But don't let Minotaur know, she might get delusions of grandeur. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

Hi Jeff, your ability to work with the fiddly stuff is outstanding. I certainly see the value to you of your building block for keeping things stable while you work. I guess your model is screwed to it with access to the screws through a turret mounting or somesuch? 

I'm thinking that something like this would be a good thing to do in my Beagle build while I work the decks, spars and rigging.

Gidday Bertie, thanks. Actually I screw up into the hull from underneath. If you look at the fourth photo of this thread (I'll repeat it here) you'll see along the centerline join some squares of white plastic with holes in them. In fact the hole closest the bow has the screw in.

MNTR50 hull reinforced

The white plastic is to give the screw threads a bit more to bite on. Each hole is exactly 70mm apart. Below is a photo of my 16-gun Belfast being built.

BELF16g170 waist shelterdeck fitted

The wood block behind the model is on edge and has my build of HMS Jamaica screwed to it. You can make out the hull behind the wood block. The screws go though the wood and up into the hull, hence the extra plastic inside. The holes are countersunk so the screws are inside the wood completely and the block sits flat. By making the holes a set distance apart (70mm seems to suit most of my models) I can use the block again for the next model. The model can stay screwed to the block until the very end of the build if I like. Due to the shape of the hull of these ships (flat underneath for most of them) the holes can't be seen afterward so I don't have to fill them later.

Your sailing ship hulls might be a bit different due to their more rounded shape underneath and the protruding keel. But maybe you could screw two blocks on top of a base block that clamps the keel between them? And very thin screws up into the keel? But yes, by attaching the model to some firm base it makes things much easier I find.

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3

Gidday @S-boat 55, as soon as this is done I want to get back to HMS Glamorgan in the Falklands GB, which was put on hold. I find it very difficult to do two models simultaneously. My mind is not all that agile, switching between them.

Do you have a whiff in mind yourself? If so, do tell. 🙂

Thanks for your interest and comments. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1