Looking for a 1/72 Aichi Val

airfix2

There are 3 injection molded Val kits in 1/72nd scale. The first one is the Airfix which has recently also been sold under Polish ZTS brand.

I don't have this kit so can't comment on its vices/virtues.

Then came Fujimi, covering both A1 and A2 versions. Excellent kit but lacking interior and some other details.

The latest one is from Dragon/DML in two boxings, but both only A1 version.

This kit has most details but falls short in some other aspects like the canopy. 

To summarize, I think the best choice would be Fujimi due to more correct overall shape, lower price and somewhat better availability.

Edited by MarkoZG
  • Like 3

Its kinda strange that not very many companies have made 1/72 aichi vals, isnt it?  i´d think that tamiya and hasegawa would make one, but this doesnt seem to be the case. 

The Airfix Val is available in their re-released “Vintage” series, but is a bit of a rivet fest. Don’t know about the availability of the Fujimi kit.

Wulfman

29 minutes ago, JWM said:

Parts by Fujimi , although not in original order, inside Mistercraft box.

I just compared my kits and Mister Craft clearly cloned the Fujimi kit, but there are some subtle differences. For example, MC lacks the fabric effect on the ailerons and flaps present on Fujimi. The cockpit floor is also different. Probably details to defend themselves from a piracy claim.

Carlos

According to Scalemates, there are 4 mainstream kits of the D3A in 1/72 scale.  

1. Airfix — from 1965.  Also released by MPC, Plasty, Lodela, and Craft Master over the years.  Lots of rivets but currently available.
  2. Fujimi — from 1985.  I’ve built this one and it’s actually quite nice.  Most of the cockpit cannot be seen through the small openings even though it has a greenhouse canopy.
  3. Cyber Hobby — from 2012.  Also released by Platz recently.  I’ve seen the sprues and it looks a bit fiddly.  Ability to fold the wings and open the canopy.  My experience with other Cyber Hobby kits is they don’t quite go together well and have to be treated as a short run kit.
  4. ZTS Plastyk — from 2005.  Also released by MisterCraft.  Parts breakdown is similar to Fujimi so it may be a clone but it is different in sprue layout.

Additionally, there is a recognition model dated 1942.  

If you want one with folding wings, get the Cyber Hobby.  Otherwise, the best OOB kit remains the Fujimi kit.  

We need a new kit of the Val in 1/72.  It’s something Airfix should do given they’ve done the Kate and early Zero already and been on my wish list for Airfix for years now.

Tim

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Greenshirt said:.  Otherwise, the best OOB kit remains the Fujimi kit.  

Agree.  But I’d stick to the D3A1 kit.  Fujimi took some short cuts with the D3A2: the rear canopy looks very wrong and Those Who Know say not all the other changes from the D3A1 have been accurately reflected.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 09:30, JWM said:

In box of Mistercraft Val you will find the Fujimi parts - at least I have found... This is a very cheep and reasonable quality option

In my it was basicly copy of Fujimi in rather soft gray plasctic. Panel lines are a bit heavier but still acceptable, Lower wing in my box was warped but since it is soft plastic it was just a metter of warping it back and gluing it and fixing it with clamps until glue sets. No biggie.   

• Like 1