Sword 1/72 Northrop T-38C Talon Advanced Trainer

Here is my build of the Sword 1/72 Northrop T-38C Talon advanced trainer. This kit has a reputation of being hard to build and while it is probably not for the beginner  I think it went together pretty well. The kit consists of 22 plastic, 19 resin, and 3 clear parts along with a color photo etch sheet.

The entire interior is made up of resin parts including exquisitely cast control sticks, which unfortunately were impossible to remove from their pours without breaking them. The color photo etch was of Eduard quality and fit the resin very well. The finished cockpit fit into the fuselage perfectly.

Unfortunately things went down hill from there. The 2 main issues were the canopy fit and the wings attachment. They really, really want you to pose the canopies open and have molded them that way. If you want to have them closed the fit is bad and needed a lot of filling and sanding. The wings are a butt joint to the fuselage with no indication of exactly where they go, and the instructions were were no help with vague drawings.  Also while they supply you with a resin pitot tube the instruction make no mention of installing the part. I ended up using a Master brass one.

For paint I used Humbrol 125 for the FS 16118 and AK Real Color ADC Grey for the FS 16473.

The decals were nicely printed, but I have found Sword decals being very problematic in the past so I also got a Wolfpak sheet 72-041 as a backup. As it turns out the Sword decals worked very well for the most part, but a couple broke while removing them from the paper so I used a mix of the Sword and Wolfpak ones. I had a problem with both type silvering, but was able to fix that. 

So here it is:

MYxW2f6H_o.jpg

xMp5EDhY_o.jpg

4NSHQYpM_o.jpg

fD6rjR7r_o.jpg

n1jfZEKj_o.jpg

CwPniUqR_o.jpg

Next up in my arcane schedule should be the North American T-39 Saberliner, and I have the Anigrand kit, but with the recent announcement of the Sword kit I am going to wait for that first. So next will be the Wolfpack T-2C Buckeye.

Enjoy

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Perhaps this photo will help with wing location:

I think I got it right, or at least close. 

thanks

Nice done Howard, just rewards forthe effort you had to put into it, it has come out really nicely. I think I won't rush out & try to find one though. ;) :D

On 4/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, hsr said:

So next will be the Wolfpack T-2C Buckeye.

Keen to see this, I have one lurking in my stock, it'll be good to see someone else explore the pitfalls, not a kit one sees built that often. No pressure mind. ;)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I think I won't rush out & try to find one though.

I wouldn't worry about that. They are impossible to find. In 3 years searching on Ebay I saw 3 of them and 2 of them went for over $100 US. I lucked out and got mine for 23 Euros.

37 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Keen to see this, I have one lurking in my stock, it'll be good to see someone else explore the pitfalls, not a kit one sees built that often. No pressure mind.

This it so far with the second coat of primer. 

CjK26g68_o.jpg

It still needs a bit of sanding and polishing around the canopy. I would rank it as a top tear kit, not as good as Tamiya but pretty good. I got the Wolfpack update (really should be upgrade) kit with resin seats and some photo etch. Unlike the Sword kit the transparencies fit perfectly. I am also just starting a home remodel project (getting a fireplace put in) so that will slow me down a bit, but I should still finish it this month.

Thanks

Howard 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 4:54 PM, stevehnz said:
On 4/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, hsr said:

So next will be the Wolfpack T-2C Buckeye.

Keen to see this, I have one lurking in my stock, it'll be good to see someone else explore the pitfalls, not a kit one sees built that often. No pressure mind. ;)

Steve.

Done

• Like 1