Hawker Hurricane turned Japanese

Hi all! For this GB I'm going to build a Hawker Hurricane from phase 3 of my "Hawker Hurricanes around the World" project... a former ML-KNIL Mk IIb that was captured and "redressed."

y4mYRISvI0bOITMeN0c-xvOnowTAIK6rKScahJgN

The kit will be Arma...

y4mntVxT5WwHPBVC9QwVoBz9V81V44hu4EMcsPl4

... and the decals from "FlyingPapas."

y4msjU-k4zqquY4qgH2-pUhpFuFQTgFnF3E2_ZPd

Prior to the GB start I cut some sprue...

y4mnh8xvVfIMnElNt0r9oMSz4ennkSAXKv_aAqqY

... and began the wheel well, but nothing more than that so far:

y4mfvb_wMPHIgKYYk0kf6CzJTz5T4-JZkLMtEwSi

I recently completed another Arma Mk IIb as the ML-KNIL version, so this will be quite similar, just different markings!

• Like 15

Looking forward to thIs. 

I'm starting the arma mustang inJapanesemarkings in this gb and am excited about it.

sounds like you had a good experience with that previous arma hurricane kit.

• Like 1

welcome along with something very different and something most of us wouldn't have expected to see in a Japanese GB, a Hurricane!!!

The model looks to be very nice judging by the photo, I have read good things about these Arma models. The scheme is nice and straightforward so that should give you any dramas.

This is a really interesting build and I'm glad you brought it along, good luck with her and I expect there'll be quite a bit of interest in this build.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, Dansk said:

Looking forward to thIs. 

I'm starting the arma mustang inJapanesemarkings in this gb and am excited about it.

sounds like you had a good experience with that previous arma hurricane kit.

Thanks, and I am looking forward to yours! The Arma Hurricane kits are amazing, and they improved on the Mk I with the Mk II. I've heard great things about the Arma Mustang too, so I'm sure you'll enjoy!

On 4/29/2022 at 5:19 PM, trickyrich said:

welcome along with something very different and something most of us wouldn't have expected to see in a Japanese GB, a Hurricane!!!

The model looks to be very nice judging by the photo, I have read good things about these Arma models. The scheme is nice and straightforward so that should give you any dramas.

This is a really interesting build and I'm glad you brought it along, good luck with her and I expect there'll be quite a bit of interest in this build.

Cheers!

A little progress.... I've painted some silver in the wheel well and cockpit floor and put the wings together... I am so amazed with these Arma kits, the wings just click together perfectly. 

y4mfJ6GLpC2q998cTOzcgO4Zo0TJkbwmCg9zbfI0

y4mjP7oW4j2T_FJuwjcEkmdfKjPmkJgGXjQYMeAJ

• Like 10

I began painting some aluminum, interior green, and black on cockpit pieces and some gunmetal on the exhausts and interior of the trop filter and radiator, the latter of which I have also assembled.

y4mAQunpUZoVfn_mm16JmGYVOqH5OH89xnJljXmh

I have this PE fret from a different Arma kit, and I'll be using some of it. I don't think I'm going to bother with the IP pieces, actually--I'll save those for an Airfix kit, because the Arma styrene part + dual decals make a fairly good IP all on their own. I will be using some of the other cockpit pieces, however, and I especially like the harnesses.

y4mnpBgiPF9KNDeA_hgcPQ13w1teWXETZbzDHaEe

These are the IP decals, by the way, and a close up of the styrene (which even by itself is quite impressive!).

y4mskwE7Btz3D_gU_HG7RaoqY_UPMuipnLgheZ1e

• Like 7

First decal on the IP, and honestly even right here this will beat all the other 1/72 Hurricane IPs I've built from other brands!

y4mWYR2GSkG-9Tc44pdGdx5gAcuxKzKn9DPrc4gT

With the second decal overtop:

y4mJLQiSJ3SgeXIyMYEw52eAzmbVpYTh3wiPNN7p

And some aluminum added, now sitting to let the Microsol do its work.

y4m3ecbPTZ36ZbSSezUpvGiJqoX8qFUEMJHn-n3G

Meanwhile, foot pedals and stick stuck on. Considered doing washes, etc., but not feeling motivated--almost nothing can be seen once buttoned up, even if the canopy is modeled open.

y4mnOLaWI6iVDYpU247aYWkbXSmebUPbne2xpGTm

• Like 9

Fuselage buttoned up, and wings, rudder and stabilizers all attached. Fit is lovely, so this will require minimal seam/gap work.

y4mg0I6sNOdvjT13ZlLdQdXIWKMUmKdxKeBvylGC

Trop filter and radiator on the underside as well.

y4mMGk30pANAEKNqb7BagzjkzxkVLITp_poCMGjK

Meanwhile I blasted the UC pieces with some silver from a rattle can...

y4myZrp72JF_OrcbRJHTrXqh6D0-cnsxkqyT0mga

• Like 10

On 5/9/2022 at 9:14 PM, Stew Dapple said:

She's coming along really nicely mate, good work B) 

Thanks, Stew!

No further progress on the airframe, but prop and wheels are painted and coated with some Pledge! 

y4mccLd2vKq9QDaKOsxfBjvve-i16A6yYpZEt38i

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Really my only progress is a coat of primer. I have tried to install the landing lights, and did end up getting one on, but they are proving a fight, for some reason. Never had this issue with my other Arma Hurricanes, so I assume it's user error--but not sure what I could have done wrong! Anyway, once those are on and sanded in place I will start camo painting. 

y4mgtPLRzmO4UlWaKj0kV0jd_2ourSnZzyh5Jr1m

• Like 5

Alright, those landing lights are on now. I used the PE pieces Arma provides behind the landing lights for the first time, but not sure they were worthwhile (which is more or less my opinion on most of this PE).

y4mi-cpYxbkKL54HRKaoPv5pnIDc6NNrnskPlB_G

By the way, Arma also provides wingtip navigation lights that you can install if you cut out the wingtips. These actually look pretty good, although they are a lot of work. Anyway, I lost one of them on an earlier build, so raided this kit for a spare, which means Japan is not going to get them. So, I proceeded to sand the landing lights flush(ish).

y4mRtE8JOD0GZ9ub9b1L8deTrFY4m0eZOSrp5tlp

With those in place, I began underside camo. This is Sky Blue (Tamiya XF-23)... I think fair to say that there's some question as to what the underside colour would have been on the ML-KNIL 'canes, but I opted for Sky Blue when I did mine, and therefore proceeding based on that assumption for this one!

y4mrBQeO-qfTJHyLkX45ZvKQI8BuYsXalsrn_hog

• Like 5

Underside camo is completed and wheel well aluminum finished up. I will likely seal this in with Pledge before moving up top--I've too often found that the acrylics scratch or peel or scrape off if I leave them as is while doing the upper camo. I also have some Kristal Klear around the landing lights that I like to seal up with Pledge to mitigate the risk that it peels off.

y4mzT20Kum6S18jJcnYL74PKq_pRSThzVYm_Mxr-

• Like 7

She has come along very nicely and is looking great.

I agree with you on the IP, it looks superb, it's the first time I've seen dual decals used and they look amazing.

Not long to go with this one, keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't had much time to model for awhile, but I was able to complete the upper camo and get Pledge on her the other night.

y4m_emrrVf32I05z0XORbhnD2UxTBJXpdTpuxHSQ

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
somehow failed to include the photo.
  • Like 3

A little touching up underneath was required, then started decaling. The Flying Papas decals are poor quality, unfortunately, but I think they'll serve their purpose. 

y4moovOhwwphI8VURv971vDcxw61X4bWLVsF-D2A

The Microsol is working on them at the moment...

y4mVuMsBnA4FeJ9dBOxiODw5O_ASDZuFycnFuq44

I won't do much in terms of stenciling, but probably use a few. I believe the four MGs are doped over in the photo, so I will use those decals. Another thing that surprised me in looking at the photos again is that the canopy is missing! So, I'll probably model it like that--it will add some interest and allow a bit more view into the cockpit than usual.

• Like 5

The decals are (mostly) bedding down alright, the issue is more that they're out of register and somewhat fragile and also were all printed on one transfer sheet (is that the right terminology?) such that it took some work cutting them out and so on. Their glue also seems too "gluey." I think the roundels are mostly alright now, but you can see the white stripe is a bit of a mess 🤪

y4mioIzPv0Tj4wY5UdNDXTSyhY6AbxjvkvqokStf

You can see comparing the decals to the photos below that the rudder "bird" was missing a white dot, so I painted that in--it is quite prominent in the photos, so not sure how that as missed in the decal design.

y4msjU-k4zqquY4qgH2-pUhpFuFQTgFnF3E2_ZPd

• Like 2

Continuous decal sheets are usually the sign of limited run small production outfits these days but have not always been - the early Modeldecals were like that too. Probably cheaper and easier to make on a tight budget but it does mean a little more care in cutting out and the potential for more unsightly film round the edges.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, PeterB said:

Continuous decal sheets

Thanks, now I know the term!

UC on, and I'm happy with how the underside is turning out.

y4mZPe5FSwxIuTR95t2ebsAQYpsw4PUB57fCNTw2

Not as happy with the upper, but also no longer going to spend much time on it...

y4mLdFGvErNY8aS-XEepCITewPymXWiTMh1Jb0uE

I had to touch up the port wing roundel, and the red definitely does not match, but at least it was better than the white strip that was bordering it before. Likewise the white stripe was touched up with some white paint, which improved it a little, but again this is far from spectacular work...  Anyway, with prop on and liquid mask over the landing lights I took her outside for a spray of matt clear coat.

y4m3GhTHlDbTr7JDttvG2KA8iLok2drM_e9w-4V0

Once that is dry it will be off with the liquid mask, some silver applied for navigation lights, the ID light "installed" underneath with Kristal Klear, and the windscreen on and that should be that. She may not be a masterpiece, but she'll look ok from 72 inches away 😇

• Like 3