Request for information on propellers

wavanberkel

Hello,

Does anyone who has access to Bob Gardners books on British propeller makers of WWI, know of Watling & Son of Great Yarmouth?

I only found a one- line reference of this company in "E.L.T.A. The First Aviation Exhibition Amsterdam”.

The author, Rob Mulder, mentions that Watling & Son of Great Yarmouth, made most of the propellers for the Rolls-Royce engines for the Handley Page, (the majority being four-bladers for all the HP O/400’s) and the Vickers Vimy.

However, I can’t find any references to Watling & Son or their logo (if any) anywhere on the Internet.

Specifically, I am looking for information on the two-bladed props of the Handley Page V/1500 (although these may have been made by a different manufacturer.

In the drawings of Windsock Datafile 164, 2 different two-bladed props have been drawn:

On is designated AB 8580 (54.5 mm in 1/72) and the other one AB 8422 (56 mm in 1/72).

The engines were arranged in two tandem pairs, mounted in the gap between the mainplanes. The front engine of each pair drove a two-blade air- screw, the rear a four-blader. On production V/1500s the diameters of these air- screws were 13 ft. 5 in. and 10 ft. 4 in. respectively.

I am told that the information I'm looking for is in "British Propeller Makers of WWI: Part Five" by Bob Gardner.

I wonder if any of this forum's members has this book and may be able to help me.

Thanks in advance,

Willem

• 1 year later...

I recall that Bob sold off the final stocks of his books a few years ago via https://www.woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/forum/wooden-propeller-identification/early-wooden-propellers/4272-

His website used to be http://www.aeroclocks.com but it's down now.

Edited by Skyraider3D

Hi Willem, Pete in RI here. I presume this is for your 1/32 scratchbuild.

Albatros Publications did a small monograph on British Propellers of WW1, or have you tried contacting the RAF Museum to see if they have any info. 

Also if you read through the first link sent by Skyraider, it says that "several early aviation museums" have bought the series of books. Now all we have to do is find those museums and ask to see the copies or have the relevant pages scanned for you. 

There are also a couple of customers emails in there, write them an ask! :thumbsup:

Edited by europapete

• 1 month later...