Nakajami E8N2 Dave - 1/72 RS Models

I've got quite a few Japanese planes in the stash and having seen Jockney is building a Willow, I thought I'd dig this one out.

y4mZf7VMzw8V6oVgBmaFJPCXPENMIsad4g6A3RGu

It has a couple of different schemes to choose from but having checked the rules, I'll probably build the Thai 1940 version which would have been built in Japan.

Here are some sprues in bags.

y4mE2HavCKX4mhEquQrntkbJH1wAmaeG-fs7SWyP

and out of bags

y4mkNnNTjmdv92DoKgEcLvLYkkHmW3ZISZ2CFaaV

I started work on the cockpit while the Val dried.

y4mtdfZHWtrHwn1i1T8iRsuzJbMb6wWoskuqYW2N

I doubt I'll be able to see much once it is closed up.

y4ms3a1J9r3-J1TykrItOu4f138QPYenkY29eMsy

• Like 11

Nice one Richard.

As to Chris' comment, that is hardly surprising as the Japanese probably used more floatplanes than any other force during WWII They had a policy of fitting all their cruisers and battleships with them for scouting purposes, and perhaps because they were late developing radar, unlike the Allies they did not remove them mid war, and they also used them from bases around the various islands they operated from. Anyway, I like floatplanes and seaplanes! At least one of the battleships (Haruna) still had Daves at Midway and launched one  to try and find the US forces, though most had replaced them with Alfs and later Petes and Jakes, at least on the heavy cruisers.

Pete

... and Richard's back with another fine and interesting choice!

Good to see this GB is helping to clear out some of the stash......... to make room for more!! :D

Yeah another interesting choice and a floatplane too, the Japanese liked the sea/floatplanes, so great to see them being built.

Well good luck with this build as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a bit lax with the updates as I've been away to Prague and then been busy on other kits.

I managed to call in to a model shop in Prague and buy a couple of kits  - I left space in my case specifically for this :) I'm now the proud owner of a Dewoitine D510 and Cessna Bobcat - both new aircraft aircraft to me.

Before I went away, I sprayed the Black Green.

y4mgStriNLnjGGQFAtVlZEs8oRzQQw0BxbXlGQIl

Once I came back, I had some time to spray the clear coat and stick the decals on it.

y4mgStriNLnjGGQFAtVlZEs8oRzQQw0BxbXlGQIl

They went on surprisingly well. The white sighting lines on the tail were one piece and went on surprisingly easy!

That left me with no excuse - time for the rigging.

y4mlt9vwIqf6mdZ5__j9h-z9VWY44gtZYgFOYuL7

The wings were done without the top wing on.

The floats were done the same way.

The came the moment of truth. The struts in the centre were too long so some trimming was needed. Even after that, they aren't the best. The end result though looks like Dave.

y4mU8o90FKFOJXkHH6v_sL-rcbuQZkebGhUaapiF

It is nearly done. It needs the prop completing.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...