Hawker Tempest V and TT.5

I picked up this new Airfix kit when it was released earlier in the year. It builds well, and I'm sure you'll agree makes a nice presentable model in this small scale.

This was built from the box, with the exception of adding a pair of smaller hub diameter five spoke main wheels that came from an unbuilt Typhoon. Also rather than using the kit decals, the underwing stripes, tail band and yellow stripes are masked and sprayed.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_20220427_064307_391~2

IMG_20220427_064247_045

IMG_20220427_070726_896

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 37

Nice one David, that looks the goods. I'm very much looking forward to doing this one from the kit I have, I was so pleased to see a Kiwi option in this kit.

Hopefully I can manage it as well as you have. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve,

I'll be making a TT.5 version of this next. It will make a nice contrast in both colour and being a later series 2 aircraft.

As Airfix scanned the Hendon example, I bet they are planning a future release of a Target Tug version?

Emerging from the spray booth next is an Airfix series 2 Tempest TT.5

This has been a challenging combination of aluminium, yellow, black and red paint! 

It'll make a nice contrast to display alongside the earlier series 1.

• Like 1

That looks really great. I'm doing the KP Mk II and it's a lot of work, and there are some shape & detail issues too. Airfix's Mk V looks like the go-to option for a decent Tempest. I need one!

Justin

• ththtttu7 changed the title to Hawker Tempest V and TT.5

A sneak preview before the finished aircraft...

This second kit also went together perfectly. No filler or sanding required, which was a real bonus for the intended high speed silver finish.

IMG_20220511_025032_683

IMG_20220511_025054_827

• Like 8

Superb finish. My father flew this aircraft at 233 OCU RAF Pembrey first flight 8.4.53. the Tempest's were ferried to Aston Down in July 1955  for scrapping. They were replaced By DH Mosquito TT.35's, then Meteor TT.8's.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Superb finish. My father flew this aircraft at 233 OCU RAF Pembrey first flight 8.4.53. the Tempest's were ferried to Aston Down in July 1955  for scrapping. They were replaced By DH Mosquito TT.35's, then Meteor TT.8's.

Hi T-21,

Wow, what a coincidence! I hope I have done it justice. My friend Mark Gauntlet provided the colour artwork I used for this. I believe his father was ground crew a RAF Pembrey for his National Service.

• Thanks 1

Yes  beautiful what colours/paint did you use ? like the flat yellow. Wondering if David's father knew my dad Sgt Jim Perry ? My father was current at Pembrey on Tempest TT.V,  Oxford ,Balliol ,Chipmunk, Mosquito TT.35.

Only nitpicks Apologies !!!  tow target winch like a cone missing from the fuselage underside  beneath the cockpit where the drogue towing wire was paid out and in.(this is the elusive Pembrey equipment devised there for drogue towing) Also the tail ant-fouling  cables from the fin apex to outboard of the tailplanes top and bottom.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Yes  beautiful what colours/paint did you use ? like the flat yellow. Wondering if David's father knew my dad Sgt Jim Perry ? My father was current at Pembrey on Tempest TT.V,  Oxford ,Balliol ,Chipmunk, Mosquito TT.35.

Only nitpicks Apologies !!!  tow target winch like a cone missing from the fuselage underside  beneath the cockpit where the drogue towing wire was paid out and in.(this is the elusive Pembrey equipment devised there for drogue towing) Also the tail ant-fouling  cables from the fin apex to outboard of the tailplanes top and bottom.

All paints are Humbrol rattle cans. Yellow is Gloss 69 I think, over Matt 33. Both appeared satin when dry.

I'll be adding the towing attachment and also the anti-foul post beneath the rear fuselage, when I've scratch built them.

The wires are beyond my skill to add, but if you search Britmodeller you'll find Mark's Heller Tempest TT.5 from a few years ago. He did a splendid job, including all the bells and whistles 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks David  worried I might have upset you ! terrific inspirational build to others. My father loved flying the Tempest had a good serviceability rate and the ones he ferried to Aston Down were perfectly serviceable .  It upset my dad to park up and leave them there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T-21 said:

Thanks David  worried I might have upset you ! terrific inspirational build to others. My father loved flying the Tempest had a good serviceability rate and the ones he ferried to Aston Down were perfectly serviceable .  It upset my dad to park up and leave them there.

Hi T-21,

I bet it was sad to stop flying these Tempests.

Fingers crossed we will see two Tempest II's flying this year. One in the UK and one in Canada 😎

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Fantastic builds - are there any good shots of the original TT5?

The Dalrymple and Verdun published book by Tony Buttler has several excellent TT photos within. Also, others can be found in the web.

• 2 weeks later...