Messerschmitt Bf109G-6, 9/JG54 Tamiya 1/72

Urg, I'm going to call this one (almost) finished. I ran into some issues at the end (see the WiP) in a disastrous session, entirely caused by my haste in wanting to get this one done so that I could open some shiny new toys. The exhausts got lost in the final mayhem and with no replacement available in the near term, I think I'll put that bit aside until they turn up or I find something that can be bodged in. I might have at it a little with oils and smoke stains and perhaps touch up some of the mistakes if that ficticious day ever appears; but in the meantime it's probably sensible to, as they say, stop when the fun stops. So I hope people don't mind me posting a model with blimming great holes in it in the RFI.

This is my difficult second model. I've learned a lot about paint thinning for mottles (never enough!), and while it turned out a little starker that I'd hoped, I'm broadly happy and know how I might do better next time. I think the overriding lesson though is actually (aside from 'dont rush!'), maybe 'do less'. I probably went through more stages than entirely necessary, which if you're an inexperienced butterfingers like me, just leads to more (rough) handing, more smudge creation, more dust collection, and gives more opportunity to mess up. 

The kit itself was an absolute joy, and I for one don't feel any guilt savouring a kit that has been engineered and manufactured so well and fits together so precisely. The build and markings are entirely OOB (save some Eduard belts) and painted primarily in Tamiya acrylics with the rather disappointing mixtures called out in the instructions.

An odd decision perhaps to go with the ubiquitous JG-54 over the interesting 'eyeball on the G-6 blisters' JG51 scheme, but I've never done a Grunhertz scheme personally, and I've always liked the green with blue stripe (That and I always picked JG54 in Aces over Europe). That stripe incidentally, was supposed to be painted, but it turned out so dark that I ended up with the decal, which I never got to bed down quite as I'd have hoped.

So anyway, thanks to those who helped along the way, thanks for looking; all criticisms welcomed!

Cheers,
Andy

20220427_214353 20220427_214234 20220427_214253 20220427_214147

20220427_214707

WIP:

• Like 41

Wow, lovely clean build mate, astounding.

4 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

The exhausts got lost in the final mayhem and with no replacement available in the near term, I think I'll put that bit aside until they turn up

Yes, In my infancy, there are things that go astray no matter how careful you place them

10 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

This is my difficult second model. I've learned a lot about paint thinning for mottles

You  have certainly mastered the mottle on that build. It is a difficult process I found.

Your decal placement and ithe way they look painted on really stands out, excellent

All round good build. I hope you enjoyed it as it certainly is a joy to look at

• Thanks 1

Thanks for such kind words. I think my next build will aim at 'factory fresh' since currently my various errors add up to create a certain unintended worn look, so working on precision and tidyness is probably not a bad idea. But yeah just to reiterate, a highly recommended kit as a nice satisfying palette cleanser, and for those who work in ye olde scale and can't help but glance at all the shiny awesomeness available to those with space!

On 27/04/2022 at 22:39, PlasticUtopia said:

Your decal placement and ithe way they look painted on really stands out, excellent

That's very kind! I tried to get them flat by applying gloss on top, then sanding them down to remove the bumps, but in this instance rather mashed them up by going too far! It also wiped out the panel lines, so I'm having a rethink of my strategy...

• 7 months later...

Very nice result.

I have one on the workbench at the moment and, as you say, fit and engineering is impressive.

It's a shame Tamiya (at least looking at the sprues) aren't intending other versions... Though I'm sure Eduard are going to grace us with a few in coming months / years...

Matt

• Like 1