P-47D "Ole Cock", Academy 1/72

Hello all,

This is Academy's 1/72 P-47D Razorback painted in the markings of Lt. Donovan Smith's aircraft "Ole Cock". There were a few corrections made to the kit, most notably changing wingsides for the pitot tube from right to left; but other than that the kit is pretty good and the detail is very sharp. The kit was painted with gunze and real colors acrilycs, chipping fluid was used to weather the model. The aftermarket products used are PE for the interior, True Details wheels and a Master pitot tube, I also used a spare Tamiya P-47D propeller. The decals used are Hussar, part of their book Fighting units in color 56th Fighter Group part 1.

Hope you enjoy!

Ms9SnyUa_o.jpg

3NT9cUYy_o.jpg

fVbFZZkw_o.jpg

v16twTFx_o.jpg

2M7uwRjE_o.jpg

gD4nwiC5_o.jpg

md9OR7YV_o.jpg

hFinzWRJ_o.jpg

• Like 43

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This 56th FG is looking excellent. You did a great job.

On 27/04/2022 at 21:01, Oompa Loompa modelers said:

There were a few corrections made to the kit, most notably changing wingsides for the pitot tube from right to left

Interestingly, Academy recertified this error after a couple of years. It is one of these rare instances where a model kit manufacturer actually corrected a mistake. 

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2022 at 21:01, Oompa Loompa modelers said:

Hello all,

This is Academy's 1/72 P-47D Razorback painted in the markings of Lt. Donovan Smith's aircraft "Ole Cock". There were a few corrections made to the kit, most notably changing wingsides for the pitot tube from right to left; but other than that the kit is pretty good and the detail is very sharp. The kit was painted with gunze and real colors acrilycs, chipping fluid was used to weather the model. The aftermarket products used are PE for the interior, True Details wheels and a Master pitot tube, I also used a spare Tamiya P-47D propeller. The decals used are Hussar, part of their book Fighting units in color 56th Fighter Group part 1.

Hope you enjoy!

Ms9SnyUa_o.jpg

3NT9cUYy_o.jpg

fVbFZZkw_o.jpg

v16twTFx_o.jpg

2M7uwRjE_o.jpg

gD4nwiC5_o.jpg

md9OR7YV_o.jpg

hFinzWRJ_o.jpg

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

Very unfortunate I can't comment; I can't see the pictures at all. sorry; (not being 'funny' or anything, I really cannot view the pictures the panes are all blank). I'm sure its a cracking build though, the P-47 is one of my favourite aircraft!👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind words.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:20 AM, 112 Squadron said:

This 56th FG is looking excellent. You did a great job.

Interestingly, Academy recertified this error after a couple of years. It is one of these rare instances where a model kit manufacturer actually corrected a mistake. 

112 Squadron, I did not know Academy had corrected their error, we must have had an old boxing. Thanks for the info.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:01 PM, François Escudé said:

HI, very nice Jug ! glazing is fantastic !! 

If I may, I think  that  inside rearward of canopy should be OD and not IG 😉

François, merci pour votre gentillesse, whilst building the thunderbolt, I looked at many pictures of it, and to me it seemed that the back part of the cockpit was a lighter shade of green than the fuselage, this was especially noticeable to me in b&w pictures, but I also saw a few pictures where it seemed to be the same color, so in the end, I chose to paint it interior green based on the pictures showing a lighter shade of green, of course I may be wrong. This is exactly the reason why I choose to display my models on this site, it is to get constructive criticism and learn new things about the subjects of the models I am building.

Thanks again,

Oompa Loompa

• Like 1