Airbus A320-200 Edelweiss Air , Zvezda Ultimate kit with Revell decals

This was an airline that I wanted to have for a long time.

I flew with them on one of their A340s from Zurich to Saigon in 2018 and was impressed by their service standard.

I planned to make one of my A340 kits with that livery but unfortunately the decal set from 8a decals was out of print.

So I looked for the Revell A320 kit with those decals instead.

It took a while to find an affordable one but I managed it finally.

But I wanted it a bit different,so I used a Zvezda A320 kit,which offers a nice cockpit,options for an open door and lowered flaps.

Its depicting something like a maintenance check,but I havent got some ground equipment for it yet.

The cockpit is necely detailed but I added arm rests to the seats,thrust levers to the middle console and painted on the display screens.

A logbook was placed behind the co-pilots window to add something extra.

The entrance was enhanced with detailed painting and the blue carpet was created with Tamyia masking tape.

After closing up the fuselage,not much of the work can be seen though....😳

The flaps and slats construction is a bit complicated explained in the instructions,so some research and photo reference of the real thing was needed.

The construction itself is easy as the parts fit very well.

Painting and weathering was the most work on this project.

Careful masking for the red front to get it symetrically was tricky.

Paints are Gunze white primer 1000,clear coated with Gunze Premium Gloss.

Gunze gloss red,wings are painted with Testors aircraft grey mixed with white.Coroguard panels are from the Zvezda decal sheet.

The "Edelweiss" billboard had no window openings ,no idea why Revell did it this way.Their decal sheet only provides silver frames for the windows.

As I opted for open windows, I applied the decals over the windows,then clear coated them.After dry I used a new sharp blade and cut out each window, then filled in the windows with white glue.After that the silver frames were applied.

This is one of my most sophisticated models to date,for my first time doing all these things,I am quite pleased with the result.

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 32

Lovely work as usual Alex. Edelweiss is definitely one of the most attractive and striking European liveries. Personally I prefer the earlier version like your model to the current one with the plain red forward fuselage and the large flower on the tail but at least they kept the basic livery and didn't go all white and boring!

It will be nice to see Edelweiss back in Edinburgh when they resume their ZRH-EDI flights next month.

Dave G 🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RMCS said:

Brilliant work 

Thank you very much.

7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Lovely work as usual Alex. Edelweiss is definitely one of the most attractive and striking European liveries. Personally I prefer the earlier version like your model to the current one with the plain red forward fuselage and the large flower on the tail but at least they kept the basic livery and didn't go all white and boring!

It will be nice to see Edelweiss back in Edinburgh when they resume their ZRH-EDI flights next month.

Dave G 🇺🇦

Thank you very much Dave.

Yes,thats true.

When their A340 is flying over our place on its descent to Zurich its immediately recognizable against the blue sky.

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s amazing, brilliant detail! Very eye-catching livery too.

Thank you vety much

1 hour ago, coneheadff said:

Looking great!!!

Thank you very much

43 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

That's extraordinary work and a beautiful finish!

Thank you very much

Hi Alex

You should be more than pleased with this model - it is excellent.

I particularly like the way you have built the flaps and slats - I think you've got them exactly right, which is quite a feat given that Zvezda's instructions provide little clue as to how they are meant to fit together.

Also you've done a fantastic job on the detail around the open door and the cockpit.

I love it all - brilliant.

Cheers

Tim

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timo said:

Hi Alex

You should be more than pleased with this model - it is excellent.

I particularly like the way you have built the flaps and slats - I think you've got them exactly right, which is quite a feat given that Zvezda's instructions provide little clue as to how they are meant to fit together.

Also you've done a fantastic job on the detail around the open door and the cockpit.

I love it all - brilliant.

Cheers

Tim

Thank you very much Tim for your nice words.

I had to check photo references of the real thing to see how the slats are looking and how the system works.

Reading Zvezda's instructions,I thought either part of the slats are needed,depending on the configuration.

If extended,both sets are needed,if retracted only one set is needed.

Its a cool feature on those kits but a bit iffy

Very attractive A320 Alex, this is the first one I have seen built with flaps & slats extended, it looks good. I'll have to get one of mine out of the stash and have a go!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice!

Saluti

Giampiero

Thank you very much

11 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Striking livery and a very nice model!

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Spectacular paint job, excellent work !

Wulfman

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Very attractive A320 Alex, this is the first one I have seen built with flaps & slats extended, it looks good. I'll have to get one of mine out of the stash and have a go!

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John

This was my first Zvezda A320 and first Ultimate Kit,and I can really recommend it

Excellent work. The Edelweiß livery is really beautiful.

I have spend also some thoughts to apply the Revell decals on the Zvezda kit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Excellent work. The Edelweiß livery is really beautiful.

I have spend also some thoughts to apply the Revell decals on the Zvezda 

Thank you very much.

The Revell decals fit perfect on the Zvezda kit,even the silver frames for the cabin windows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much.

The Revell decals fit perfect on the Zvezda kit,even the silver frames for the cabin windows.

Thanks for this info 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

Brutal work Alex! I'm considering doing this kit but with the Swissair livery! 

Thank you very much Diogo.

That sounds promising too.Hope to see your Airbus soon on BM

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much Diogo.

That sounds promising too.Hope to see your Airbus soon on BM

It will take a while because first I wanna do a cleaning on my shelf of semi made planes eheh! Plus the new Zvezda models the exhaust cone has the new shape already!