McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10 Demonstrator ,NITTO 1/100

This is the 1972 NITTO kit of the DC-10.

NITTO,later Doyusha produced a range of airliner kits in 1/100 scale,like the 747,TriStar,767,DC-9,707,727,737,DC-3 and Concorde.

The quality of those kits is very nice,given the time when they were produced,with resessed panel lines and some fine details.

The 747 kit was back then,the largest injection moulded kit ever and is very impressive,both in size and amount of detail.

The DC-10 is also quite a good kit,considering its 50 years of age.

In some places the fit is tricky and some areas need a bit of improvement/corrections.

Things I added/ corrected or improved are

Engine inlet on No.2 engine: plastic tube inserted to get a more realistic look and a seamless intake.

Intake ring recreated with Evergreen plastic sheet to get a round inlet.

Wing engines: Inlet rings recreated like on No.2 engine,top and bottom of the housing flattened to get it more round.

Otherwise its egg shaped.

Landing gear: Hydraulic cables, disc brakes on the main gear,struts added to the front gear

Rudders lowered,these went in down position once the hydraulic pressure was off on the ground

Intake on the left side opened up and the flap inserted diagonal as on ground operation

Landing lights on the fuselage sides drilled open and recreated with white glue

Position lights on the wings:drilled 2 small holes into the clear parts,clear red/green paint inserted and glued on the wings with white glue

Cockpit:Front window /nose angle corrected as good as possible,otherwise its shape is like on the Caravelle with no step between window and nose.

The decals for the Demonstrator come frome the kit.

Despite their age they worked quite well,only the white between the red and blue lines isnt as white as it should be.

I had no choice as to keep it as is because the silver framed window openings and cabin doors are printed on the stripes.

To get the windows and doors alligned,I cut the decal into 5-6 sections and applied separately to avoid any discrepancies with the fuselage windows and door outlines.

The frame for the cockpit was done with silver decal stripes,

Paints are Gunze white surface primer 1000 for the upper half,Gunze grey primer 1000 for the wing box and inspar panels.

Gunze metallics .

Sealed with Gunze Premium Gloss.

This DC-10-10 was delivered to United Airlines after completing flight tests on 3 june 1972 and went to FedEx on 22. october 1998.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 48

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Excellent! That looks great in the demonstrator colours, very original. And beautifully made.

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Very nicely done! That's one big model!

Thank you very much.

Yes,its big but luckily it comes with a display stand

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really good. Maybe I need to find one of these and make a Finnair plane.

Thank you very much.

They are a bit difficult to find nowadays.Doyusha hasn't reissued the kit for some years now.

That looks fantastic. I've long been a DC-10 fan, what with AirNZ operating them for so long & really like their look, the fresh clean livery of this sets it off especially well 👍

Steve.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

How do you produce such exceptional models so often?

Thank you very much for the compliments.

I had a lot of time lately,which was spent wisely on building airliners 😊😉

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks fantastic. I've long been a DC-10 fan, what with AirNZ operating them for so long & really like their look, the fresh clean livery of this sets it off especially well 👍

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve.

The AirNZ livery suited the DC-10 also very well.

I had been planning on building one,must get some decals for it first though.

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Gorgeous😍!!

Thank you very much

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Nice model, I just got one from as estate sale that was built but needs a major C-check and overhaul. I'll ave to use this for reference. It does need a few parts, mostly landing gear parts.

• Thanks 1

Not too sure how I missed this Alex. Looks sharp for a vintage kit, but that's probably down to your skill set 👍👍

Brings back memories of collecting airline adverts from Time magazine in the late 70s. I remember one of the airlines highlighting the fact that the central engine is about the same size as a DC-3.

mike 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Nice model, I just got one from as estate sale that was built but needs a major C-check and overhaul. I'll ave to use this for reference. It does need a few parts, mostly landing gear parts.

Thank you very much.

I hope the C-Check will be succsessful

12 hours ago, mitchem said:

Not too sure how I missed this Alex. Looks sharp for a vintage kit, but that's probably down to your skill set 👍👍

Brings back memories of collecting airline adverts from Time magazine in the late 70s. I remember one of the airlines highlighting the fact that the central engine is about the same size as a DC-3.

mike 

Thank you very much Mike.

The Nitto/Doyusha kits are very nice and given their age quite good in quality.

Its a pity that most of them didn't get rereleases since many years.

Luckily I managed to get all their 1/100 airliner kits,esp. the Boeing 747 is probably the best in terms of detailing