Airfix 1/72 Blenheim IV query

Stuart Wilson

Hi,

I missed the chance to get this the first time round. The Blenheim IVF is now available again and I was wondering if the parts are all there in the kit for a standard Mk IV bomber? I can source the decals and the instructions are on Scalemates.

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Stuart

Hi

I think this review is better, actually shows the gun pack sprue in a photo, the other review leaves it out as far as i can see 

cheers

jerry 

I don't think the IVF kit includes the side windows with blisters that were fitted to most bombers. I've checked mine (from the original production run) and although there are two separate blisters loose in the bag with the transparent parts it's been opened and there's no sign that they were ever on the sprue. It looks to me as though a certain absentminded modeller who intended to build the kit as a bomber sourced them from somewhere else, slipped them into the box, put it into his stash and forgot all about it. They're not there in those sprue shots.

Hi all,

FYI, the blisters or "Observation Panels" as officially known, were introduced on the MK IV Blenheim on 22.04.1940 (Modification No. Blenheim IV 473) - think it's 473, only have a photo taken from a microfilm viewer or whatever you call that :) .

So they would have been fitted on the production line from that date onwards, or have been retrofitted at unit level, replacing the 2 pane sliding cockpit side windows (Side Emergency Windows in official parlance).

Cheers,

Walter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 3:42 PM, AWFK10 said:

I don't think the IVF kit includes the side windows with blisters that were fitted to most bombers. 

Yes, it’s an issue with both the bomber and fighter boxings: whichever one you buy, it won’t have the blister windows.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:12 PM, AWFK10 said:

I don't think the IVF kit includes the side windows with blisters that were fitted to most bombers. I've checked mine (from the original production run) and although there are two separate blisters loose in the bag with the transparent parts it's been opened and there's no sign that they were ever on the sprue. It looks to me as though a certain absentminded modeller who intended to build the kit as a bomber sourced them from somewhere else, slipped them into the box, put it into his stash and forgot all about it. They're not there in those sprue shots.

It's a damn loooong time ago but I'm pretty sure that the old (1968) Airfix Blenheim Mk.IV had the blister windows. Maybe the modeller you bought it from salvaged the windows from the older boxing?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, James Venables said:

It's a damn loooong time ago but I'm pretty sure that the old (1968) Airfix Blenheim Mk.IV had the blister windows. Maybe the modeller you bought it from salvaged the windows from the older boxing?

Yes, the 1960's Blenheim IV did have the blister windows.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Bristol-Blenheim-MKIV.html

Chris

Unless Airfix have made major changes to the wings, the nacelles are incorrect being based on a Bolingbroke restored to look something like a Blenheim ( they are neither one nor the other). Correction of them to match either a Bolingbroke or a Blenheim is well nigh impossible but if memory serves the Frog Blenheim nacelles are pretty good.