yes, i do need a compressor

masterKamera

As my modelling and painting is going to be a 90% project for late night avoidance of the internet and due to working second shift and having to reserve daylight for the tediuos things like house chores and shopping, I need to find an aircompressor that is really really quite. 

My considerations are all about lowest noise possible.  

I discovered the world of the mini air compressor by discovering the Testors Aztec mini air compressor on amazon a few days ago. And then delving into the myriad world of chinese clones of chinese knock off mini air compressors i have some questions. 

1. many come with a basic junky air brush that is only ever going to work with one size needle.  SOME come with nice brushes that even include multiple needle sizes.  However i admit i will be looking at a higher quality air brush from the get go, so that isnt a main issue for initial purchase. 

2. Very vague on terms of how loud they are, many merely say whisper quite, others say a "whisper in an empty room" is 30 decibels.  I have seen the european compressors that use modern fridge compressors, but the sticker shock says id have to work alot of over time to afford those 6-900$ units.

3. air control 

Some talk about air control regulators but most are just on/off propositions with very loosely stated claims to air pressure that dont always jive with what the limited reviews claim. 

So if you good guys can help me figure this out, things will be wonderful

I have bought only one cheap for curiosity and results were:

1. Replacement of airbrush itself - mine was not replaceable, but nowadays you probably can get compressor only. Mine had rather decent unit. Had because the battery lasted around one year.

2. Quiet. Not super whisper. Electric toothbrush or shaver like.

3. Mine had 2 steps. Very low PSI and absolutely no air. Did I mention low psi? Yes it was very low psi. Stated 15psi, I would more call it max 10 at start, and 5 after a year. My unit refuses to work when plugged.

Convenience factor is awesome since you can basically bring it anywhere but the weight of unit AND airbrush could be felt quickly. Mine double served as airbrush stand so big plus there.

To be silent, the only type I could recomend is this type.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Werther-Sil-Air-15D-Silent-Airbrush-Compressor.html#SID=36

I have an old Aztec version of this type and am about to change to this model for similar reasons to you.

Not cheap but in the long term will last years .  (My Aztec is over 20 years old)

HTH

Dick

When looked for a silent compressor I eventually went with the Bambi BB24V Bambi compressor. and have never regretted it. It was a toss up 'twen the Bambi and the Silentair at the time, with the Silent air seeming a bit more compact, however 'pon watching some videos I noticed that at the end of a fill cycle the silent air had a noticeable "PHFFFFFFT! I knew that this would drive me mad so the Bambi it was.

After 3 plus years of daily use I can heartily recommend Bambi

• 4 weeks later...

I’m doing the same exercise right now. A very nice chap gifted me his backup compressor which I have been playing with but I am after an upgrade soon now I’ve been bitten by the bug!!

My findings have either pushed me towards a Sparmax TC 620X, twin piston, oil free, 54dba, 2.5l tank and plenty of pressure circa 25 litres per minute for £240

or oil filled offering from Werther/SilAir 

or Bambi. The best value I have found is Werther 15D - 30dba, 4l tank and less but still decent 17 litres per minute output for around £100 more.

I haven’t filled decided yet but I’m edging towards the Sparmax for ease (no oil) and cost.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome though…

On 01/05/2022 at 06:52, jenko said:

To be silent, the only type I could recomend is this type.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Werther-Sil-Air-15D-Silent-Airbrush-Compressor.html#SID=36

Me too, and from this seller.  Martin is active on here and is happy to chat things over without the hard sell.  We've reviewed some of the Sil-Air compressors, and they're so quiet that y9ou have to check they're actually on if it's not totally silent in the room.  I use one all the time, and you just have to change the oil every year or so, which is quite easy if you're handy with a spanner.  Undo the bolts on the shroud, undo the clip holding the top on the compressor body, syphon off the oil, then put some clean oil in.  Job's a good 'un :)

• 3 weeks later...

i ended up with a 47db zeny aircompressor on amazon tha dr strangebrush recommended to me. 

Have had issues with it only in the fitting on the tank is not the same thread as the included regulator/water trap uses.. so it leaks no matter what i do with the regulator. 

But i havent actually had the time to use the airbrush as well TIME is not fun for me at moment. 

The compressor is NOT very loud, and is more of a pffftt   pffft  sound as it operates. But it does get to me after a short time. sound frequency.