Should my air compressor start on its own with a full tank?

william smith

Hi guys I have had this air compressor for a good year now , its one of those small little compressors that most people use , it has an automatic start and stop for when the tank is running low however i noticed today after filling the tank up i noticed my airbrush was clogged so i went to grab my cleaning stuff but then i heard the motor turn on , which i thought was odd as the tank was literally just filled , im not sure if the pressure switch is damaged but its worrying me as im worried it will overfill the tank and cause a rupture.

regards 

William

Edited by william smith
poor grammar

I suspect the various seals aren't perfect, and there is always going to be a certain amount of leakage. I have often forgotten to turn mine off after a session, but it kindly reminds me a few minutes later by roaring back into life. Been like that from new, though I have noticed that the dormant period has been getting shorter over the years.

Cheers

Colin

As for overfilling the tank... not gonna happen. First, the compressor will stall on the back pressure long before burst pressure is reached, and second, there's an overpressure relief valve (or should be!) somewhere in the system, which will open and drain air pressure back to a set level should the pressure switch fail to operate.

But yes, check all the connections, it sounds like you have a minor leak.