Which of the many aspects of our wonderful hobby bring you joy?

Bertie McBoatface

A small pleasure is tearing up the kit box and putting it in the recycling bin. This is my "the model is now finished" moment and I can start something new (or finish something stashed away.)

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A small pleasure is tearing up the kit box and putting it in the recycling bin. This is my "the model is now finished" moment and I can start something new (or finish something stashed away.)

I have a similar frisson of joy when I bin the box, and sometimes I do it at the beginning of a build when I decant the parts into the plastic boxes/trays which I work from. It's my Rubicon moment, once the box has gone, there's no turning back! This is especially good when it's a model I've been nervous of starting and perhaps have brought out and then put away unstarted several times. 

I also enjoy cutting the empty parts of sprues away and disposing of them as I work, so that I can more clearly see the pile of 'plastic chaos' shrinking away to nothing.

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I have a similar frisson of joy when I bin the box, and sometimes I do it at the beginning of a build when I decant the parts into the plastic boxes/trays which I work from. It's my Rubicon moment, once the box has gone, there's no turning back! This is especially good when it's a model I've been nervous of starting and perhaps have brought out and then put away unstarted several times. 

I also enjoy cutting the empty parts of sprues away and disposing of them as I work, so that I can more clearly see the pile of 'plastic chaos' shrinking away to nothing.

Yes, I know that feeling. Especially with kits like Miniart the throwing and clearing of sprues is satisfying. Small pleasures but it feels like you are progressing in the build.😀

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

also enjoy cutting the empty parts of sprues away and disposing of them as I work, so that I can more clearly see the pile of 'plastic chaos' shrinking away to nothing.

Ah, you too Bertie! It is a great feeling, isn't it?

Ray

Like others have already said, I love it when I remove all the masking and it turns out as I had planned, stripes, national markings, codes, camouflage, it's great when it works.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Ah, you too Bertie! It is a great feeling, isn't it?

Ray

I've said this before, I think I'm modelling the (desired) reduction of the chaos inside my own head, when I assemble kits. It's a therapy that's helped me since I was a kid! The dumping of the empty sprues was a recent discovery and yes, it really is a great feeling!

• Like 2

There's always a point where I'm surprised by how little I have left to do.  I give myself lists of Things I Must Not Miss so I know there's plenty still to do, and yet it always sneaks up on me, and the last bit of plastic goes on or the last bit of retouching or the last dab of weathering, and bingo, she's done.  And it isn't always a relief.

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've said this before, I think I'm modelling the (desired) reduction of the chaos inside my own head, when I assemble kits. It's a therapy that's helped me since I was a kid! The dumping of the empty sprues was a recent discovery and yes, it really is a great feeling!

How's your cutaway Grant coming on? Just been looking for it but can't immediately find it.

Martin

2 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

How's your cutaway Grant coming on? Just been looking for it but can't immediately find it.

Martin

It's done. Here's the RFI

75 hours over 40 days to bring order to that tun of chaos!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pigsty said:

a point where I'm surprised by how little I have left to do

I get that too. On the Lee I just mentioned, I suddenly said "Oh! It's done."

In that particulate insurance it was a relief though, as I was itching to get back to my Valentine Tank project, which I'd stopped working on to free up time for the Lee.

11 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's done. Here's the RFI

75 hours over 40 days to bring order to that tun of chaos!

Wow! My jaw is well and truly dropped! That is absolutely brilliant! Currently at work and a customer caught sight of your images, they were also very impressed! 40 days is quick by my standards! 😆

Has a museum actually done that?

24 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Like others have already said, I love it when I remove all the masking and it turns out as I had planned, stripes, national markings, codes, camouflage, it's great when it works.

Cheers

Dennis

I find that there's usually a bit of touching up to do but that's ok. However, when It does work as Intended it's brilliant!

• Like 1

Wow! My jaw is well and truly dropped! That is absolutely brilliant! Currently at work and a customer caught sight of your images, they were also very impressed! 40 days is quick by my standards! 😆

Thanks

I was surprised by how quickly it went. In fact I wasn't certain I could finish it in the 90 days of the GB and then suddenly, It was done. I took the photos and just in time because it got completely smashed just a few days later when I was daft enough to take it out of the building. 

Has a museum actually done that?

I have no idea. I work from imagination mostly, with the occasional glance at a reference book. 😆

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks

I was surprised by how quickly it went. In fact I wasn't certain I could finish it in the 90 days of the GB and then suddenly, It was done. I took the photos and just in time because it got completely smashed just a few days later when I was daft enough to take it out of the building. 

I have no idea. I work from imagination mostly, with the occasional glance at a reference book. 😆

You what? Smashed? Nooooooo! 😮😢

11 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

You what? Smashed? Nooooooo! 😮😢

It makes no difference; today next month, next year... As the great philosopher Geo Harrison said, "All things must pass away."

Actually, one of the many joyful aspects for me is clearing the old models from my limited display space to make room for the new. Usually at Xmas but this one jumped the gun a bit. Now I don't have to worry about it getting damaged 🤣

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It makes no difference; today next month, next year... As the great philosopher Geo Harrison said, "All things must pass away."

Actually, one of the many joyful aspects for me is clearing the old models from my limited display space to make room for the new. Usually at Xmas but this one jumped the gun a bit. Now I don't have to worry about it getting damaged 🤣

Is it beyond repair then? 

When you say clearing old models, sounds ominous. 

Just now, Lightningboy2000 said:

Is it beyond repair then? 

Totally totalled, old bean. It fell onto concrete.

Just now, Lightningboy2000 said:

When you say clearing old models, sounds ominous. 

Not at all. I enjoy building, but not dusting models, and after a couple of weeks, I stop looking at them anyway. Over 50 years I've built thousands of them and currently have ten built ones in the cabinet (and some figures, which are a different sort of thing as they take up so little space). Glancing in there I see three that I'm thinking of converting into dioramas and two examples of the Valentine tank series that I'll keep until I lose interest in it.  That leaves five that are ready for disposal, but currently fill the space which will be taken up by the wooden sailing boat sometime in the autumn.

I'd no sooner keep all my old models that hang on to my empty beer bottles, their job is done.

I realise it's not a common attitude to one's completed models but thank goodness we are all different. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'd no sooner keep all my old models that hang on to my empty beer bottles, their job is done.

I'm starting to come to this conclusion myself; I haven't got a display cabinet and as we're just about to move home I dutifully packed all of my assembled models into boxes, carefully surrounded in packing peanuts, bubble wrap etc ready for the move.  I strongly suspect that I won't open those boxes for a very long time.

I do sometimes see completed builds for sale on Ebay - who the hell buys them, I wonder?!

12 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm starting to come to this conclusion myself; I haven't got a display cabinet and as we're just about to move home I dutifully packed all of my assembled models into boxes, carefully surrounded in packing peanuts, bubble wrap etc ready for the move.  I strongly suspect that I won't open those boxes for a very long time.

Maybe a photograph is enough for nostalgia purposes?

12 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I do sometimes see completed builds for sale on Ebay - who the hell buys them, I wonder?!

I have sold some there, and shipped them all over the world, from Moscow to Miami, but I always wondered about my customers. Even though they owned the models, I don't think they were their models, they were still mine.

• Like 1

First flight from the assembly facility (garage) to the base of operations ( display shelf) with one or three strafing runs on the cat.

Project is then officially concluded 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

First flight from the assembly facility (garage) to the base of operations ( display shelf) with one or three strafing runs on the cat.

Project is then officially concluded 

With the appropriate noises I hope?

On 02/05/2022 at 20:53, Bertie Psmith said:

Totally totalled, old bean. It fell onto concrete.

Not at all. I enjoy building, but not dusting models, and after a couple of weeks, I stop looking at them anyway. Over 50 years I've built thousands of them and currently have ten built ones in the cabinet (and some figures, which are a different sort of thing as they take up so little space). Glancing in there I see three that I'm thinking of converting into dioramas and two examples of the Valentine tank series that I'll keep until I lose interest in it.  That leaves five that are ready for disposal, but currently fill the space which will be taken up by the wooden sailing boat sometime in the autumn.

I realise it's not a common attitude to one's completed models but thank goodness we are all different. 

Exactly how I feel.

It's nice to look at completed models for a few weeks. After that I usually give them to my Grandsons to play with, i.e "dispose of". 😅

They are dust traps and take up a good bit of space. 

• Like 1