Which of the many aspects of our wonderful hobby bring you joy?

Bertie McBoatface

Turning left at the M54 Junc 4 onto the A464 towards the Telford International Centre.  I did it this morning taking my son back to school after a dental appointment and it (as it always does) gives me a feeling of happiness and excitement!

And taking a 20 year old abandoned project from the Box of Doom and now having the skills and experience to overcome what made it stall, and completing it.

Edited by 3DStewart
More reasons to be happy!
  • Like 4

I love the research that goes into learning about the history of a set of markings, or conversely, the hunt to find markings that correspond to an individual or historical event that's come to my attention. I love peeling the masking off to reveal a camouflaged model. I love looking at a completed aircraft. I like trying new techniques (WHEN THEY WORK). I like figuring out how I'm going to approach some tricky bit and actually getting it right. I love knowing that as bad as I am at it, I'm leagues better than I was when I first started out.

Most of all, I think, I love the people I've met in the last twelve years of building models through this site. Who could have imagined the simple act of joining a forum to ask about the Indian Ocean Raid could lead to two trips to the UK and one to New Mexico and meeting some of the best friends I could ever have?

• Like 9

I once had a guy - briefly- convinced that I’d built Wingnut Wing’s first test shot of an Avro 504. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t heard about the kit’s development when I told him the first production items would be on shop shelves in less than a month. 👍🤣🤣🤣

God I crack myself up sometimes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 27/04/2022 at 02:38, Bertie Psmith said:

Which of the many aspects of our wonderful hobby bring you joy?

Learning new cuss words and how to use old ones in innovative new ways.     :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1) Coming back to look at a model I finished la few months/years ago and thinking it looked better than I remembered it when it was first finished. 

2) The satisfaction of sorting something out that was a bit tricky. That way, a Mach2 kit gives joy in ways the are completely unexpected. 

• Like 2

Since I started this thread I've been noticing my pleasures a lot more. Some of them have been a big surprise to me as I tend to take routine things for granted and pay them no attention.

Today I have discovered that I love the feeling that follows cleaning up my working area. I've done a lot of modelling in the last few days, partly because I haven't been walking the dog much because she's been a bit ill. Staying in, I've divided my time between modelmaking and cuddling a pooch who's been feeling very sorry for herself. I haven't been clearing away my mess after each session as I usually do. (I have cleared up many of the dog's though.) Consequently the modelling area, which in my case is 'the flat', is in a bit of a mess, and that's starting to bug me so after I post this, I'll put everything back where it's supposed to be. Then I'll sit down and smile in self-satisfaction. And probably fall asleep, not having slept much lately!

(p.s. All that was wrong with the dog was diarrhea and vomit, and a harsher master than I might say she shouldn't have eaten that kebab she found. I prefer to make a fuss of her because that's what I would like if I had a hangover.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

The satisfaction of sorting something out that was a bit tricky. That way, a Mach2 kit gives joy in ways the are completely unexpected. 

Exactly. The comments overheard or directed when a particularly basterious model is admired at a show or club night, knowing you have mastered something that most shy away from.

I never did tread the well worn path. I think I have only built one Tamiya kit in my life, and that was a 'target'

• Like 2

8 hours ago, malpaso said:

I like decalling, where the plain colours come alive with markings or livery.  I enjoy the stencils, even on a modern jet, it’s kind of a zen process that requires and is calming.

Quite! I am more than happy to apply the odd 'one or two' (hundred) stencils on an EE Lightning or a Phantom, it is very theraputic (even if I cannot spell it!). I like to get my money's worth, and there is no point chucking half the kit away...

Ray

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

after I post this, I'll put everything back where it's supposed to be. Then I'll sit down and smile in self-satisfaction. And probably fall asleep, not having slept much lately!

and I actually did exactly that! It was brilliant getting up this morning to a workshop that was properly prepared for work.

I can’t get out of the habit of calling it ‘work’ but it’s really PLAY!!! 🏌️

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

I love the research that goes into learning about the history of a set of markings, or conversely, the hunt to find markings that correspond to an individual or historical event that's come to my attention. I love peeling the masking off to reveal a camouflaged model. I love looking at a completed aircraft. I like trying new techniques (WHEN THEY WORK). I like figuring out how I'm going to approach some tricky bit and actually getting it right. I love knowing that as bad as I am at it, I'm leagues better than I was when I first started out.

Most of all, I think, I love the people I've met in the last twelve years of building models through this site. Who could have imagined the simple act of joining a forum to ask about the Indian Ocean Raid could lead to two trips to the UK and one to New Mexico and meeting some of the best friends I could ever have?

That’s a great post.

I must remember to check out your extremely long topic one day. I always fancied visiting the US!

On 28/04/2022 at 13:35, Neil.C said:

Buying a model.

Opening it to see what's inside.

It's pretty much all downhill after that! 🤣

23 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I fell very sad for you and hope your modelling experiences improve. 😕 

Don't worry about it. I don't. 

It's just a bit of fun for me amongst other slightly more creative hobbies I have.

• Like 1

Sometimes the modelling mojo hides away,  I love those moments after no modelling for a few weeks and I think, I really need to crack on with this project.  I will just do x to it for today and then find myself fully engrossed in the project again an hour later which leads to several evenings in a row working on it.  I also enjoy airbrushing kits and experimenting with shading etc to see what sort of finish I can get.  I also find a ton of masking tape theraputic and enjoy the unpeeling of said tape to reveal a finished demarcation line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

This answer may be considered a cop out, but literally all of the experience brings me joy, minus when something doesn't work out.

Thats great to hear! It's always been a good hobby but I reckon these are particularly golden years for scale modelling of all kinds.

Keep at it and you may find that the things that don't work out teach you more than the things that do. Sometimes, when things don't work out the way I expected, they work out better!

Finding a model shop tucked away in a backstreet stocked with an eclectic mix of types and manufacturers

Browsing same for hours.

Deciding what I should buy even though I have a shelf of doom and shame extending back many years because it would be rude not too.

Successfully getting it in undetected.

The first unboxing to get that whiff of mould release agent that soon goes.

Finally starting.

Closing up the interior.

Getting the seams seamless.

Finding that pesky part on the floor after a long search at pile height.

Finding there is still room on the shelf so I can start yet another one.

• Like 2