Finished Photos of 1/35 Scale Icarus Spaceship From "The Planet of the Apes " Movie

Fellow Modelers,

Below are photos of my 1/35 scale ANSA (American National Space Administration) Icarus/Liberty 1 Spaceship from the 1968 movie “The Planet of the Apes”.  The ship’s name (Liberty 1) was included in the original movie script but was never mentioned on screen.  Several years after the movie came out a fan began associating the name Icarus with the ship, which seemed to stick with the fanbase.  The model is made by Monsters-In-Motion and is about 13” in length.  The kit is out of resin and consist of about 12 pieces.  The upper and lower main hull pieces had a terrible fit.  I ended up not using the lower section and replaced it with thin pieces of evergreen styrene.  The kit came with a water and rock formation base to sit the ship on, but I was so impressed with the quality I decided to mount the Icarus on a metal rod above the water.  You see a lot of Icarus model displays with heavy atmospheric weathering like in the movie, but I decided to keep it clean and neat since it is such an attractive paint scheme.  The overall configuration of the ship is unknown since the only time the full-size mockup is shown in the movie it is sinking in the water.  There has to be some kind of propulsion/drive system, but it is not included on the Monsters-In-Motion kit.  I bought and built the model in 2003.  I just recently did some modifications to the paint scheme and decals to make it more accurate.  I have always been a huge admirer of this design and still hope a manufacturer will come out with a large injection plastic kit someday.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos.

Phillip1

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Both the ship and the base look great. 

I always thought that what we saw on screen (and sinking) was just the re-entry section of a much larger ship.

I wonder if anyone else has ever thought what that might look like?

• Like 1

Pete in Lincs/Jeddahbill-Thanks for the compliments.  They are appreciated.

Pete in Lincs-Speculation of what the rear section of the ship looks like has generated a great many versions.  In the sequel movie (Beneath The Planet of The Apes) Brent's "rescue" ship was what fans call a tail-lander, since it appears the ship landed tail first then an explosion caused it to fall over with a fire destroying most of the rear of the ship.  Below are several photos I found on the internet showing at least a couple of different variations.

Phillip1

023.jpg

009.webp

011.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

• Like 5

Nice research and thanks for the pictures. I'm sure I must have watched 'beneath' but it must have been a very long time ago.

I just checked, it was a 1970 production! I know I watched the original at the cinema, but I still can't remember this one. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like this, it's a classic design and you've done a great job putting it together. I really liked the movie as well, even if the ending is a teeny bit downbeat...