Roden 1/144 Boeing RC-135V/W Rivet Joint

VMA131Marine

On 6/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Hmmm.  The wing-body fairing looks a bit funky.  There shouldn't be any kind of fairing ahead of the leading edge, and the trailing edge fairing should be real sharp--so it blends with the trailing edge of the wing.  As depicted, the trailing edge looks more like a -300 series 707 aircraft.  AMT-ERTL got this exactly right on their 1/72 scale model back in the day, and I would compare the fuselage halves with those of the much bigger kit.

Just curious - where are you seeing a fairing ahead of the wing leading edge?

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Too short?

I somehiw miss the kink on the lower fuselage... might this one be for another  fuselage? / model?

Wondering how you guys have come to this conclusion? Reason i ask is the first thing i noticed was how the windscreen was moulded but cannot tell how much fuselage is in front of the centre pillar.

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jazzie said:

Wondering how you guys have come to this conclusion? Reason i ask is the first thing i noticed was how the windscreen was moulded but cannot tell how much fuselage is in front of the centre pillar.

Arabest,

Geoff.

Maybe it is just fine... is is looking at low res sprue shots...

You can see "my kink" now on the second picure, right fuselage... sorry if I confused anybody... 😞

Maybe I have to buy 2 now... 😉

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, hopkp said:

where are you seeing a fairing ahead of the wing leading edge

It could be an optical illusion created by shadow, but it does appear that the leading edge sweep on the stub portion of the wing, as molded to the fuselage, has lesser sweep than the rest of the wing.  This is easily corrected.  What is a little less easy to correct is the trailing edge fairing.  For those who wish to tackle this kit, I would encourage them to look at the real aircraft, then build a small, sharp ridge parallel to the fuselage on the fairing that intersects the wing trailing edge. 

The nose is too small in top-to-bottom width when viewed in profile, and needs to be built up.  Again this is not a show-stopper, but something to bear in mind for those wishing to approximate the looks of the real thing.

For my part, I value others' observations when looking at sprue shots as they help prepare me for the task ahead when I DO buy and build the model.  In only a few instances, such as for Mach 2 kits, has the gallery played a decisive role in my assuming a "buyer beware" posture.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...