F6F-3 Hellcat Lights

fishplanebeer

I'm nearing the last lap, fingers crossed, of painting my Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat but now have some queries regarding the lights that it carried.

On the fuselage spine there are two small lights which were represented by solid 'bumps' on the kit and which I've removed so wondering what colour they should be when I reinstate them with very small drops of Kristal Clear/PVA.

Also in the Eduard decal sheet it provides a decal for three centrally aligned underside lights as well so is this correct as on the pics I have of the underside of the Hellcat they are almost impossible to detect.  However if they are correct should they really be recessed instead by drilling out and then filled with the relevant colour with a clear top/varnish?

Regards

Colin.

Ps. I haven't put the build on WIP as my progress is rather slow and my techniques are probably not the best either (or my camera) but when all done I'll post on RFI in order to garner the advice of those far more gifted than myself. Thank you.

Hi Colin,

Here's the US WWII identification lights. Note the yellow light has an amber lens. The green light has a lens that appears blue. The lights were installed flush with the aircraft skin.

Grimes-IFF-Lights-WWII.jpg

The forward dorsal ID light was deleted early on in F6F-5 production, BuNo 70289 and subs. The other dorsal light was a blue formation light. Here's a good example of the dorsal light.

Don

f6f-5-rework03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a quick way to do the belly lights. Take some clear plastic rod, acrylic rod or clear sprue runner of larger than, or close to the right diameter, round off one end and paint silver. Drill a hole in the belly the same size and cement in the rounded/painted end 1/8th " deep. Sand and polish flush, and cover with a disc of tape. (Repeat 2 more times). After the camo, flat coat and weathering, take off the tape and with a fine brush, paint the lens the appropriate color with Tamiya clear red, yellow or blue.

belly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

What was the colour of the forward dorsal ID light please as my model is an F6F-3 so would have had it in place? Photos suggest white but is this correct?

Regards

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Yes. A white light. I presumed that you were going use PVA or equivalent to make the light.

Don

Vraciu-June-19-1944-downed-six.jpg

• Thanks 1

My plan is to use a tiny drop of white paint covered by a similarly small drop of pva or Krystal Klear and to do the same with the blue light behind it as anything else in 72nd scale would be a tad difficult for me to achieve and I think it will now do the job.

Regards

Colin.