Air shows in NZ and AUS - advice please

Swamp Donkey

Hi, need some help please. Mrs SD is very keen to visit her middle son in Western Australia next year. Whilst this is lovely, I plan a couple of side trips that I can tag on at the start or end of the journey. So, question to our New Zealand friends

Wararapa or Omaka? Or anything else? Can only do one, not both (unfortunately)

And moving on to Australia, last time I was there I sat at the end of the runway at Newcastle and photographed the first batch of brand new F18’s - I dread to think how long ago that was. However, my question does not relate to that. My question is, is Avalon Show worth a visit? Or is it a massive trade show, a bit like Farnborough or Paris?

The bulk of the trip will be based at Margaret River, but given we are likely to be away for around 8 weeks, plenty of time to do some selected air show type activities

many thanks in advance

SD

There used to be an airshow in NZ called 'Warbirds over Wanaka' (or something similar), no idea about when it's scheduled - or if it's even running anytime soon.

Can't speak for Avalon, but I've heard it's a pretty big event. Seems to be every two years (well, pre-CV19, anyway), but again, no idea if/when it will be back.

I will point out that Oz is big.  Perth to Sydney is a 4 hour flight, and NZ is a further 4 hours again. 

Classic Fighters (Omaka) is scheduled for next year, at Easter, Warbirds over Wanaka was scheduled for this year, at the same time, they run alternate years, but canceled due to our Covid restrictions. Omaka had to cancel in 2021 but then re-ran in September that year, not sure if Wanaka is likely to do the same. Wings over Wairarapa is scheduled for late Feb 2023, it is usually a good show but cancelled the second day of the last one due to high winds, nothing comes with a guarantee it seems these days.

Steve.