Eduard/ICM 1/48 Do 17Z

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I did notice that the aircraft is recorded as a Do 217 though

I think they have that wrong. Seems to be a 17 seeing it has the less streamlined cowlings and no fat belly.

Anyway, this has become a diversion. What markings have you decided on?

Importantly, hopefully you will be feeling better soon and make some more progress.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I think they have that wrong. Seems to be a 17 seeing it has the less streamlined cowlings and no fat belly.

Anyway, this has become a diversion. What markings have you decided on?

Importantly, hopefully you will be feeling better soon and make some more progress.

I agree with you that its a 17 and not a 217, I just mentioned it as an example of spurious information associated with aircraft even from well known sources.

I am leaning quite heavily towards the example with the Winter whitewash as it will fit in with the others in my collection, though there is plenty of time for me to change my mind yet and there are no version specific parts needed until the last minute.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Right then, finally time for an update with pictures!

I have been slowly plodding away at this and have reached the point where the cockpit section is completed and I am ready to join the fuselage halves together. The kit cockpit is actually quite nicely detailed as is and after having a look at my previous build of this kit and what is visible through the canopy and nose glazing (virtually nothing, especially with the defensive MG's in place) I have made the call to not add anything other than some of the Eduard pre-painted etch and a couple of bits of the other etched sheet, so without further ado here are the pics of how she looks at the minute starting with the port side of the cockpit before the pilot's seat assembly was added;

spacer.png

The pilot's seat assembly and rear gunners seat;

spacer.png

And with the seat assembly and IP installed;

spacer.png

And the stbd side of the cockpit;

spacer.png

I have also been working on the wings and like my last build I made a landing light for the port side;

spacer.png

Not brilliant but better than nothing.

And with that done I could close the wings together, a very nice fit with just a couple of bits of filler required and when it was tidied up I added the flaps in a drooped position as they seem to be drooped in quite a few pictures of the aircraft on the ground;

spacer.png

And the tailplanes are also underway;

spacer.png

So I am pretty much ready to get the fuselage halves joined together which will be a big step in the assembly.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 9

You're too modest, Craig. That looks really good, particularly the weathering around the seats & belts. I don't think the landing light looks bad either, probably only 2-3mm diameter?

James

• Thanks 1

Very nice work Craig, excellent cockpit. Is that gunner's seat in the ICM supply or an Eduard special?

Ray

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

You're too modest, Craig. That looks really good, particularly the weathering around the seats & belts. I don't think the landing light looks bad either, probably only 2-3mm diameter?

James

Thanks James.

Yes the landing light is about 2mm diameter.

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Very nice work Craig, excellent cockpit. Is that gunner's seat in the ICM supply or an Eduard special?

Ray

Cheers Ray, the gunners seat is part of the ICM kit and really quite nicely molded, the seatbelts are from the Eduard set.

2 hours ago, Potato Pete said:

That cockpit looks lovely, excellent work

Pete

Thanks Pete, very kind of you to say so.

🇺🇦

42 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

The cockpit looks good from what I can see. The Eduard parts seem to be really useful, I hope they will work on my build as good as on yours.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus, I am sure yours will turn out a lot better than mine.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

The larger scale really kicks in some of the cockpit details, and you're having all the advantages of it, Craig :thumbsup:

Thanks VP, I really appreciate that. Hopefully I will be able to get some more done on her today.

🇺🇦

Time for an update.

Not got as much done this week as I would have hoped but progress is progress. I finished off the wing assembly and then decided to deviate from the instructions and fit the engine nacelles to it before the wing went on the fuselage as it makes fitting them much easier. This is also the only area so far that the instructions have been wrong (colour schemes not included) as they get the nacelle halves going onto the wrong side of the wing, its not really a huge problem unless you ignore the fact that they don't fit and try to butcher them into place, they fit very well on the correct side.😉 This is how the wing looks now;

spacer.png

As you can see there's a small amount of PPP where the nacelles join the wing surface but nothing drastic;

spacer.png

The fuselage was also joined together which was a very good fit with barely any filler needed at all;

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see the tail feathers were also added after the fuselage had dried, again a good fit with only a small amount of filler required;

spacer.png

And with the wing and fuselage assemblies complete there was nothing stopping me from joining them together, so that is what I did. The fit is very good for the most part with the exception of the joint behind the cockpit on the upper surfaces, the joint on the undersides is very good and will only require a bit of sanding to smooth the join as you can see below;

spacer.png

The upper joint isn't so good;

spacer.png

Nothing a bit of stretched sprue and some filler can't cure, the join at the rear wing will also need a bit of the same;

spacer.png

Again its nothing drastic and I would much rather be dealing with issues on the upper fuselage as they are much easier to access and deal with properly. She's really starting to look like a Do 17 now and hopefully I will get the joints sorted very soon.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 6

It looks like you got everything positioned in their sweet spots to achieve such an excellent  fit . 

I see that the Do 17 z comes with some detail to the top of undercarriage bay . The 217 has nothing !

Have you noticed the very weak undercarriage connecting points . I have slightly modified mine and will post some pics later today .

Cheers Alistair

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

It looks like you got everything positioned in their sweet spots to achieve such an excellent  fit . 

I see that the Do 17 z comes with some detail to the top of undercarriage bay . The 217 has nothing !

Have you noticed the very weak undercarriage connecting points . I have slightly modified mine and will post some pics later today .

Cheers Alistair

Thanks Alistair.

Its a nicely fitting kit over all, I had a similar gap on the top of the fuselage last time I built one so either I have repeated the same mistakes or its just the way the kit is. The undercarriage does seem to not be the strongest but I haven't had any issues with my Finnish one since I built that so perhaps it builds stronger than it looks, though I am very interested to see what you have done to improve it.

I am surprised that there is no detail on the roof of the wheel wells on the 217, I would have thought this would have been consistent through the range. I snagged a 217J at Milton Keynes last week so I will have a look to see what the wheel wells are like on that.

🇺🇦

That's shaping up well, Craig. Thanks for the warning about the nacelles, I'll be aware in case mine's the same (and I might actually be making a start on that later today...)

James

• Thanks 1

Hi Craig,

Nicely done. I have always liked the look of the Do-17 and you're doing it justice. I am enjoying the level of detail presented through your build log. Very useful.

I would be pinning the undercarriage. Reminds me of Eduard's Bf-110. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's shaping up well, Craig. Thanks for the warning about the nacelles, I'll be aware in case mine's the same (and I might actually be making a start on that later today...)

James

Cheers James,

I have no doubt you would have worked the nacelles out, and like I say I can't remember if ICM made the same mistake on their instructions or not. I shall be checking in on your build mate.

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Nicely done. I have always liked the look of the Do-17 and you're doing it justice. I am enjoying the level of detail presented through your build log. Very useful.

I would be pinning the undercarriage. Reminds me of Eduard's Bf-110. 

Ray

Thanks Ray,

there is something about the Do 17 isn't there, an elegant aircraft. I shall be looking at the undercarriage soon and feel that pinning might indeed be in order.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

I'd give me a chance to start it, the Ground Attack GB extension has me franticly trying to get those builds done before I start this 🤣 I've got the whole week off work though, so hopefully I'll have it started before I'm back in the office.

James

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I'd give me a chance to start it, the Ground Attack GB extension has me franticly trying to get those builds done before I start this 🤣 I've got the whole week off work though, so hopefully I'll have it started before I'm back in the office.

James

No problem mate, I meant when you have the time to start. I know what it means to have too many spinning plates on the go.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I shall be looking at the undercarriage soon and feel that pinning might indeed be in order.

Looking at the undercarriage I see you do have some engagement pins.

ICM Do-17 Undercarriage

When I build mine I will wire although I often use an alternative for supplementing the wired method or to strengthen undercarriage joins in their own right. That is to use both Tamiya Extra Thin and thin CA. Use the Tamiya to hold and make the joint. Let it dry thoroughly then wick in at the joins some thin CA applied with a little bit on the end of a thin wire.  Can be done after painting and using Loctite Super Attak "The Original" does not leave staining and wicks very nicely into the joint. I would probably use my reverse method for the struts. That being to glue the struts to the Oleos with firstly a small dab of gel CA (currently using Loctite Super Bond Power Flex Gel) applied with a toothpick or pin and then, when set (seconds), wick in some Tamiya Extra Thin. I never use accelerators.

In fact the combined Tamiya Extra Thin and CA methods I use on all undercarriage, wired or not.  Gives a very robust joint. If there is a downside it is that if you break the undercarriage it will not be at the joints so you need to drill and wire at the breaks.                       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1