Eduard/ICM 1/48 Do 17Z

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

Looking very smart there, Craig, and nice work on that decal!

James

Thanks mate, I'm quite happy with how she is looking at moment.

Managed to get the matt coat on this afternoon and she's up on her own legs.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Craig,

Looking very nice. The choice of scheme was a good one. It appeals to me.

Ray

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Craig,

Looking very nice. The choice of scheme was a good one. It appeals to me.

Ray

Thanks mate, really glad that you like how she is looking at the minute.

Would this scheme be one that you would consider for your build in the future?

🇺🇦

On 6/10/2022 at 7:37 AM, Mottlemaster said:

Fantastic work Craig . Your doing this kit proud .

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks mate, she's getting there.

I probably won't post any more updates until I have her finished as she is very close to the line now and I need to concentrate on getting her finished.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

And she is finished!

A thoroughly enjoyable build from start to finish with absolutely no serious modelling issues with the kit or the need for buckets of filler and endless days of sanding, an experience that I can highly recommend.

Before we get to the piccies of the finished model I took some of the cockpit glazing as I was working on it. As I mentioned earlier the holes for the beam machine guns in the canopy were not complete (just little dents really) so I carefully drilled them out until they were the right size to accept the machine guns, no big deal just a little care and patience required, and then fitted and glued the guns in place as you can see in the piccie below;

spacer.png

The "ball" part of the MG is very visible, too visible actually, but more on that later. With all the defensive MG's fitted there isn't a lot of room left for the poor old crew members to operate them or even move around as you can see below;

spacer.png

With the guns all secure I set about improving the look of them from the outside by fabricating some canvas covers to go over the very visible "ball" parts of them, I did this by painting some tissue in a beige colour and then when it was dry I cut it into small strips and dipped it in a water/PVA mix and carefully wrapped it around the "ball" parts and nudged them into shape, when dry they got a wash in a dark grey and I think it looks much better than they did without them, what do you think guys?

spacer.png

As you can possibly tell the picture above is from after completion, which was very straight forward after the canopy and nose glazing were fitted, these are very good fits and only need a couple of spots of PPP to get a perfect fit. The resin wheels slotted into place easily, the gear doors were fitted and aerial wire was added from some of Mrs Minions hair (God help me if she gets it cut short!) and that was that.

Here are some pics of the finished model, I shall post some more in the gallery too;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It only remains for me to thank our esteemed host VP ( @vppelt68 ) for organising and hosting what has been a very enjoyable and educational GB for me, and to thank all of you who have popped in during the progress with advice and support, it is always very welcome. S as usual thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 6

She's a real beauty, Craig, very nice work indeed. The canvas boots on the guns were well worth your effort. Top tip on using hair as aerial wire, handily my hair’s about 2ft long ;)

James

• Thanks 1

Hi Craig,

I rate this one of your best builds and they're always good. Some things I especially like  - the lovely crisp canopy masking, the subtle panel line accents, the very nice topside colour variation, and those MG's and the scale aerial wire. And, these are just the highlights. The overall package reinforces why, surprisingly, a RLM 70, 71,65 can be quite attractive and will look impressive on the modelling shelf. Well done. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

I rate this one of your best builds and they're always good. Some things I especially like  - the lovely crisp canopy masking, the subtle panel line accents, the very nice topside colour variation, and those MG's and the scale aerial wire. And, these are just the highlights. The overall package reinforces why, surprisingly, a RLM 70, 71,65 can be quite attractive and will look impressive on the modelling shelf. Well done. 

Ray

Thanks Ray, though I think you're being far too kind.

I think it helps that the kit is such a joy to build, there's no nasty gaps or filler to have to try to hide and the details on the kit are really very good, I would really love to see what you can do with this mate. And you're right, it is an attractive scheme isn't it. Now if I can get hold of a cheap Hobbycraft E/F or M/P then I will use the front section on my remaining ICM kit to make a half decent model of an M/P.

Thanks again mate.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I would really love to see what you can do with this mate.

I wish I had more time at the work bench. I have one of the ICM kits and really keen to get into it, especially after following your build. This year has been a bit of disaster in terms of being able to get in some quality modelling time. At least, I have the BM site to see what others are getting up to.

• Like 1

Eduard will be very pleased to see your build comming up on the serch for the 17 . This will certainly help them sell more on the strength of some superb photos and your build thred

Cheers

Alistair

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

Eduard will be very pleased to see your build comming up on the serch for the 17 . This will certainly help them sell more on the strength of some superb photos and your build thred

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, I really appreciate that.

If my build comes up on searches for the Eduard boxing perhaps I should ask them for a commission?😁

🇺🇦

• 1 month later...