Eduard/ICM 1/48 Do 17Z

Nice work Craig. She’s looking very good indeed. 

These ICM Luftwaffe bombers look like very nice kits. I notice there’s a JU88 GB later in the year….

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Craig. She’s looking very good indeed. 

These ICM Luftwaffe bombers look like very nice kits. I notice there’s a JU88 GB later in the year….

Cheers

James

Thanks James,

Yes these kits are pretty nice, a good mix of details and ease of build, I might well be building an ICM kit fir the Ju 88 GB.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

Assuming mine continues to shape up well, I'll very likely be going for an ICM Ju 88 for that as well!

James

• Like 2

With the main assembly almost done it was time to turn my attention to the engines. In common with the rest of the kit these come quite nicely detailed by ICM and you are provided with the option of having the side panels of the cowlings in the open position so you can see the engine in position, I seriously toyed with the idea of having these open on one of the engines but was bitten by the realism bug which reminded me that I have co-hosting duties starting in 2 weeks and I really want to get this one over the line by then, or at least very close to it and as nice as the kit details are I would need to be adding quite a few pipes, hoses and bits of wiring to get it properly detailed so that idea will have to be saved for another Do 17 in the future, and yes I do have another one in the stash. I had started painting the engine components but then realised what will be visible when completed and added to the airframe, nothing! Well the ends of the exhausts will be visible but thats it. Talking of exhausts you get the two typed of exhausts fitted to the Do 17Z provided, either a couple of exhaust pipes pointing out of the top of the cowling or a series of "fish-tailed" exhausts arranged around the engine, my version of choice is the latter of the two with the fish-tailed ones. The completed engine looks like this;

spacer.png

With he engine finished the next step is to fit them to the nacelles, but wait, there is a ring which forms the rear of the cowling to fit too as you can see in this picture of the instructions below;

spacer.png

Now if you're using the type of exhaust with the two upwards pointing pipes (as shown in the picture) this is as straightforward as it looks in the picture, however if you're using the fish-tailed exhausts like I am then it isn't that straightforward. If you are using the same type as me then you need to very carefully fit the rear ring over the exhausts before adding it to the cowling, you have to do this carefully as the ring is not a straight fit over the fish-tails and has to be teased over them a couple at a time, fortunately the ring has some flex in it so I was able to do it without breaking any of the fish-tails off and ended up with this;

spacer.png

This can then be offered up to the nacelle and the engine fitted in place on it's supporting frame and then the rear cowling ring can be glued in place into the locating holes provided for it in the nacelles and you end up with this (apologies for the slightly blurry picture);

spacer.png

And the cowling is built up separately and literally clicks into place onto the engine very nicely, and yes I forgot to take a picture before I removed the cowling for painting.

My next job will be to start on the extensive glazing, and the defensive MG's that go inside of it.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 9

Nice work on the engines Craig . i think that radial engines come out looking more realistic than do inline ones . didn't realize that their were two different exhaust setups for the 17z as the Classic Airframes doesn't include the fishtails .

Have fun with your glazing and MG,s . going to be a tricky beast to hold when they are all attached :)

Cheers

Alistair

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Nice work on the engines Craig . i think that radial engines come out looking more realistic than do inline ones . didn't realize that their were two different exhaust setups for the 17z as the Classic Airframes doesn't include the fishtails .

Have fun with your glazing and MG,s . going to be a tricky beast to hold when they are all attached :)

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,

I agree with you that kit supplied radial engines do look better than inline ones do, they still need work to be more convincing if exposed but they are a good starting point.

I have built up and painted the MG's today and got the one fitted that goes in the lower rear gondola position. One issue I have found is that the gun positions in the side of the main canopy are not properly formed, just slight dents where a hole should be. This won't be too big a problem to solve but I won't be doing it right away as I am not fixing the canopy in place until after the painting is done, and probably the nose glazing too, having test fitted them they are a very good fit so I should get away with it, well thats the plan anyway!

12 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick, much appreciated.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

A fair amount of progress since the last update, in fact all the main painting is done!

I have done the standard scheme of 70/71/65 in the splinter scheme and have used Gunze acrylics throughout which have gone on very nicely as usual and have left me with an airframe that looks like this;

spacer.png

I have tried to get a variation in the finish of the upper surface colours by simply applying more paint in some places than others such as around the panel lines and on fuel caps etc, hopefully you can get a better idea of it from the closer picture below;

spacer.png

And with that done I need to make a decision as to which airframe to complete her as before I start to apply the theatre markings. My choices are either the aircraft with the temporary Winter scheme or one in a very similar scheme to the aircraft built by our esteemed host ( @vppelt68), both are shown in the colour scheme diagrams in one of my early posts and any input from team Dornier will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Craig, it took me a moment to understand who you were talking about :winkgrin:. Go for the Greek scheme, I like it so much I intend to do another one - but with a Ju 88! Your paintjob looks umpteen times better than mine, btw :envy:

V-P

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Craig, it took me a moment to understand who you were talking about :winkgrin:. Go for the Greek scheme, I like it so much I intend to do another one - but with a Ju 88! Your paintjob looks umpteen times better than mine, btw :envy:

V-P

Thanks mate, though I think you are far too kind.

Thats one vote for the Greek option then, which I must admit that I really like, I will give it a day to see if anyone else chips in with their views and then I will need to make a start on the masking.

🇺🇦

My vote goes with the temporary Winter scheme but only if while you are doing it you are wearing a wacky costume and singing the Wolf ate my banana ( Norway eurovision entry )

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

My vote goes with the temporary Winter scheme but only if while you are doing it you are wearing a wacky costume and singing the Wolf ate my banana ( Norway eurovision entry )

As much as I like the Winter scheme making the condition that I dress in that weird Wolf costume and sing that particularly annoying song is practically a vote for the Greek based scheme!

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

Hi Craig,

Your images look great. Looks an excellent paint job. My vote is to not cover it in white wash.

I was never a fan of 70/71/65 and would actively avoid it and then I did a couple and came to greatly appreciate the variation in the scheme, They actually have big impact on the shelf. I am looking forward to doing another. I have the ICM Do-17 in the stash and intend to build it in such a scheme when I get around to it. Jazz it up a little with some yellow if need be. The Greek scheme is in lead.

Ray

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Your images look great. Looks an excellent paint job. My vote is to not cover it in white wash.

I was never a fan of 70/71/65 and would actively avoid it and then I did a couple and came to greatly appreciate the variation in the scheme, They actually have big impact on the shelf. I am looking forward to doing another. I have the ICM Do-17 in the stash and intend to build it in such a scheme when I get around to it. Jazz it up a little with some yellow if need be. The Greek scheme is in lead.

Ray

Thanks Ray, greatly appreciated.

Well the decision has been made and to paraphrase Frankie Valli "Greece is the word" from now on, I am in the process of masking off the areas to receive the yellow theatre markings. Once again Eduard's research seems to be sadly lacking as the instructions call for just the centre section of the cowlings to be yellow whereas every picture I have seen of Do 17's used in the Balkan campaign have the whole cowlings painted yellow, so that is the route I shall be going down. I have to say that the research for this build has had Eduard go downhill in my opinion, at least as far as colour schemes goes.

I would love to see what you can do with this kit mate, I have no doubt that it will be a stunner and would like to know when you get started on it.

I know what you mean about the 70/71/65 scheme, I used to think that it was quite a boring scheme but now think it is quite striking, especially when combined with the theatre markings. I am now finding my thoughts drifting towards a Ju-87 B/R in the splinter scheme but with irregular bands of 79 or Italian sand which shows fairly large areas of the original camouflage, I really do need to stay focused!!

🇺🇦

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Frankie Valli "Greece is the word"

This is what I was laughing at. Very clever. You're doing a great job on this build. As mentioned before, I am enjoying watching it come together.

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I would love to see what you can do with this kit mate

It will be some time before I get to mine. I am well and truly out of the COVID lockdown period of life. Meaning that I am exceptionally busy with that which pays the bills. And, I work in a sector which is yet again running hot. I still check in on the BM site but no where near the bench. My Sherman is sitting there saying "what about me?" and the Century Series is coming up. Thankfully not a STGB. Hopefully squeeze some quality modelling time in soon.

Ray

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice paint work Craig. Just catching up with this one and another bite for the Greek scheme here too. 

James 

Thanks James, glad you like the Greek scheme because that is what she is in now. I have been getting the decals on and should be making a start on the weathering today so hopefully I shall get a couple of progress shots up later.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

Look forward to seeing it Craig. 

I managed to pick one of these Eduard Do17 boxing’s on e bay a couple of weeks ago at a pretty good price and hadn’t realised how nice the ICM mouldings are these days.

More unnecessary stash additions coming soon! (JU88)

James 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

All talk and no pics makes us very suspicious :wicked:

Well then, just to prove certain doubting GB hosts wrong here are the pictures of how she looks at the minute, starting with the uppersurfaces;

spacer.png

And then the undersides;

spacer.png

One of the decals supplied is of an eagle carrying a bomb which goes on the front of the fuselage under the cockpit and it has a background which is meant to be in RLM 65, well Eduard's RLM 65 is nothing like Gunze's and the area of the decal is too big and comes with a hard edge whereas the one on the real aircraft has a very soft edge so after the decal was on and dry I gave it some of Gunze's 65 to tone it down and blend in the lower edge of the marking and then gave the other edges some 70 and 71 to get something more like the real thing, this is how it looks now;

spacer.png

I need to get her onto her undercarriage next and get a matt coat on the complete airframe next, hopefully by the end of the week.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 9