Crikey... It's Special Hobby's 1/32 Whirlwind

Another racing-quick build for me, about 6 weeks flash to bang.  Special Hobby's Whirlwind, like the real thing, is a thing of beauty and joy forever, with the possible exception of the undercarriage which is closer to being an invention of Satan.

Fit is superb, there were no vices to this kit (apart from the undercarriage... did I mention that?) and the quality of the interior out of the box contains pretty much all you would want to find.  So I immediately added in a Yahu instrument panel and groovy 3D seatbelt decals from a company I can't remember!  On with the show:

A general overview:

y4mk-Jmdhv_ucDn62qAZN-PunhqbPjQH6XMNfn3J

Front view, showing the extraordinary attention to detail that resulted in a frontal area apparently less than a Hurricane:

y4mnM8eVK0OQIsBchAYhG93muvDL3voqDRIwEBvc

Another 3/4 view:

y4mtGwVsJ8n_rYTXQyr6X6GmI3fZuixs9Z3sBz-G

Bubble canopy is of exemplary quality:

y4msL3R9nJXQJJQJ2mkjqy8eAJu717AwYhz7n4SN

Aforementioned Yahu IP.  Note also tactical use of EZ-Line.

y4mpLt9sgs4Eugd0xQ9LZshCc3BOM-8lwT-MRSY_

Another view of the pit.  In real life, the radio mast doesn't seem quite so wonky.  Drilling a hole through it to enable the EZ-line to have something to adhere to was 'challenging'.

y4mCmOfc1rZ-wEXGqLLwdKpeTbw_yzOQs6TBHT9x

More pit goodness.  If you look *really really* closely you can see a pneumatic line I added to the control column for the cannon trigger.

y4mJQIddOy9UfMCrndsxUi5b_ch12-_-p1lu_De2

The underside.  The instructions would have you paint the starboard stabiliser black, but I didn't believe them, so I didn't!

y4m8RRwr2X7m-EsM6byxR8Nq6ZevfDCoWjooukG4

Tail wheel bay:

y4mtqLnbLChxEdP40FYaTA8o20iApSBI_DmNNqU6

An undercarriage bay.  You know what?  Tricky...

y4m9BraRlXuNbladsV_LXcl5fLSShCf1jsiO29OT

In a rare attempt at figure painting, a resin bloke I acquired from somewhere (possibly he came along with my SH Tempest V, although I really can't remember), Flight Sergeant Hampton Wick, is fighting his way into the cramped cockpit:

y4muCQIvKwpWZ7mOS9w-F1qfTdYwj4l-SJC_bvE9

Meanwhile Leading Aircraftsman 'Nobby' Nobbs considers whether or not to remove his hand before Sgt Wick turns the engine over:

y4mtqh6gzeyvAsh4O9ZUhV_n2BcMMf6AUSJgptfs

And there you have it!  I think I will take a short break before re-visiting my current theme of 1/32 Sydney Camm objects: I have the choice of a Lukgraph Nimrod, a Special Hobby Tempest II, or, the piece de la résistance, a Fisher Pattern Sea Fury that has travelled from America, to New Zealand, and now to me.  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 43

Thank you all. Regarding the photos, I've stopped using my posh Panasonic micro 4/3 system camera, and started using my 3 year old phone's built in one, I'm sure there's a message there somewhere! 

Nice!👍 I see what you mean about the landing gear!:hmmm:Still a very nice model; lots of detail, easy enough to add on a 1/32, I'm a tad limited on my gentlemanly 1/72 (and I haven't built a whirlwind!):thumbsup:

• Like 1

I did spend a little time scraping down the mating surfaces of the wings and elevators from the inside, to make the trailing edges sharper. Similarly I filed the exhaust shroud leading edges from the inside with a half-round file to make them look better - a bit less agricultural!