Post-war Tempest Mk V

I'm having a bit of a Tempest frenzy at the moment with five of them on the go at the same time: Airfix, KP, Matchbox, Heller and Academy.   These are being documented elsewhere.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108335-enzos-tempest-frenzy/

So...   why not add a sixth?  :mental: 

This is the newly released Airfix kit.

spacer.png

It represents an early Mk V Srs 1 aircraft but strictly speaking it needs some modification for that.  See my Tempest Frenzy thread.

I will be building this as a post-war Mk V Srs 1 in overall High Speed Silver.  The aircraft will be JN876 of the Metropolitan Communications Squadron in August 1947. The aircraft was the personal mount of ACM Roderic Hill and carries his initials.  These markings are provided in the Kovozavody Prostejov "Series 1" boxing of their new kit. However the KP kit is a trickier build than the Airfix one and so not really suited for a Blitzbuild.  I'll just rob the codes and serials from it.  :D 

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see in the photo above that the Airfix kit provides two sets of mainwheels.  The five-spoke options are for Srs 1 aicraft indicating that this kit will be reboxed as a Srs 2 kit sometime in the future.  Sadly, however, the Srs 1 wheels are inaccurate.  They should have smaller hubs, similar to those of the Typhoon.  In this case, it's not an issue for my chosen subject.  A photograph in Tony Buttler's excellent Tempest monograph shows that JN876 was retrofitted with Srs 2 wheels.

spacer.png

JN876 also had the guns removed so the barrel parts in the lower right corner of the above sprue will not be required.

spacer.png

This is going to be fun!  :bounce: 

• Like 8

I somehow had one of these delivered to me after a quick look on the Airfix online shop,

“funny I don’t remember ordering one, honest guv!”

Good luck with your build

• Haha 3

First step was to build the wing.  It's a nice simple construction.  There is a part which provides the undercarriage bay walls preventing a see-through look for the wings. 

The undercarriage bays were painted with an odd interior green colour.  There is an in-depth discussion of this in ,my Tempest Project thread.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108335-enzos-tempest-project/page/3/

I mixed my own paint:   80% : 20%  Xtracrylix XA1015 Light Aircraft Grey and Tamiya XF-04 Yellow Green.

spacer.png

The cockpit floor is provided as part of the wing uppersurface.

spacer.png

The Series I aicraft had centre-section frames from Typhoons.  These had small fairings on the uppersurface of the wing fillet to cover some bolt heads.  Series 2 aircraft had a redesigned frame with the bolts accessed from below.  In the picture above you can just see the relevant fairings directly behind the undercarriage bays in line with the inner limits of the bays.  For a Series I aircraft, these will need to be sanded off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On to the cockpit area.   This is nicely detailed although as the cockpit opening is quite small I don't know how much of the detail will be visible.  I added a seat harness from Eduard.  The kit provides a reflector gunsight on the transparency sprue.  Wartime Tempests did not use a reflector sight so the reflector itself should be sliced off before fitment.

This particular aircraft, JN876, had the guns removed so I left the gunsight off as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And we're ready for main assembly.  I have filled in the gun ports.  You can also see some sanding work around the port wing root.  Series 2 aircraft had a fuel tank in this area and the kit provides rivet detail to represent this.  The Series I aircraft did not have the tank, so the rivet detail needs to be filled in.  I used sprue goo but a thick application of paint should suffice.

spacer.png

• Like 7

The tailplanes are handed so to make sure that the modeller doesn't get them wrong, the location tabs are labelled.

spacer.png

Main assembly complete.  No filling required.  I sanded the wing roots but it wasn't really necessary.

spacer.png

I then masked off various areas and primed the whole thing with my usual grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Series I aircrft had small fairings on the wing roots which will need to be added.  The black dot shows the location.

spacer.png

I used 5 Second Light Fix glue to represent these.  It is a very viscous glue which has a precision applicator.  Once the parts that one needs to cement together are in place, the glue is cured using a UV light.  I usually use this for attaching transparancies as it dries clear.   

spacer.png

I applied a small drop of the adhesive which then, due to its natural viscosity, assumes a teardrop shape.  Five seconds with the UV light and it's all done.

spacer.png

I finished off the priming and then gave the model a coat of alumnium lacquer from a rattle can.  High Speed silver was itself an aluminium lacquer so this works quite well.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Stickers on!  :fool:

The fuselage and underwing roundels, fin flashes and walkways are from the Airfix kit sheet.

The serials, codes and rank pennants are from the KP "Series 1" boxing.

KP provide Type C1 upperwing roundels for this scheme.  However I believe that to be a mistake.  Numerous 2ATAF aircraft carried small Type C1 roundels on their upper wings in the closing stages of world war 2.  This seems to have been a misreading of the new marking scheme which intended for a white ring to be added to the Type B roundel to convert it into a large Type C.    By 1947 all of these would have been repainted with correct roundels, especially those which were painted in High Speed Silver.   I took suitable roundels from an Xtradecal general sheet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have done a bit of faffing around with the greeblies ready for fitment tomorrow.  But that's it for the day.

• Like 11