Revell Lancaster Mk I/III 1/72

Ok so here goes. This is my very first post so please be gentle. I am currently working on a 1/72 Lancaster. This is my first major build since getting back into the hobby. I have only just started using Flickr so only have the 1 photo of my progress so far. 

Almost ready for gloss coat

After this photo was taken I have removed the remaining masking tape from the propeller blades and whilst gluing the turrets on managed to put a ‘gluey’ finger on the left of the nose which I haven’t fixed yet. I only tend to get out to the modelling shed once or twice a week so progress is very, very slow. Hopefully I will remember to take pictures as I progress further as the aim is to do a diorama with the Bomber Re-Supply set and RAF personnel. I have found some great tips on here and hopefully plan to show off my future builds- which are no way up to the standard of most here but I’m enjoying myself and thought it’s about time to share with the group. 

• Like 9

Ok so had a bit of time to do a little more on the Lancaster. I sanded back the gluey fingerprint on the nose and resprayed but now the patch work is a lot shinier than the rest. Not sure if you can see it in the photo but I don’t know how I can fix this or if it can. Looks like I sprayed in black gloss rather than flat black! If anyone has any tips I’d appreciate it otherwise I’m just gonna leave it alone. 

Fixed the gluey finger but paint is now a lot smoother on the repair

I also managed to knock of the little parts on the rear fins when fine sanding some dodgy paintwork (hate spaying yellow!)

Bad paint job Broken pieces

So I have decided to just leave them off, strip the paint off both fins and re-prime, ready for respraying next time. Once that’s done it’ll be gloss coat prior to decals. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well I’ve had a bit of a break from modelling over the summer and finally got round to doing more of the Lancaster. I’ve put decals on, albeit with some silvering but this is my first big model since getting back into the hobby. I gloss varnished before applying, used micro set/sol but still got some issues. Disaster struck when I finished the model with a Matt varnish then decided against all better judgement to attempt some weathering/panel line wash. I started by dry brushing the engine grime on the wings and was going to leave it there but then I thought, this could do with a panel line wash. So off I went and googled “home made panel line wash’ and made a quick wash with Vallejo model air black, water, and some fairy  liquid. I tested on a scrap piece of fuselage, worked great so splashed it all over the Lancaster and here is the result:-

Disaster!

Unfortunately when I tried to remove the excess, nothing came off! HELP!!!! I’m presuming the model is ruined as I did this on top of a Matt varnish????? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

• Sad 3

For solving the problem, I don't know. For how, it's best to do a wash over the smooth surface of a gloss coat. Matt is 'grainy' enough to soak up the wash like a sponge.

Other than lightly sanding the whole surface and repainting, I don't know of another solution. Certainly don't let this set-back stop you, though. I don't think that's enough to chuck it over.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Thom216 said:

For solving the problem, I don't know. For how, it's best to do a wash over the smooth surface of a gloss coat. Matt is 'grainy' enough to soak up the wash like a sponge.

Other than lightly sanding the whole surface and repainting, I don't know of another solution. Certainly don't let this set-back stop you, though. I don't think that's enough to chuck it over.

Good luck.

Thank you. I didn’t think of sanding! I have the Flory Models starter pack of sanding sponges so will try that. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, galgos said:

That’s a great pity, a matt surface isn’t ideal for applying a dirt wash. Sadly there’s no easy solution that I can think of. 
Max 

Thanks- that’s what I thought. This was going to be the centre of my first diorama so will prob have to buy a new one and start from scratch! Will try the sanding first though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sadly, I think a sand back and repaint is the only solution.

Can I ask you what "Dark Earth" paint you used? It may be just the lighting but it looks way too brown to my eyes. A repaint would give you the opportunity to sort that out.

• Like 2

I'd say sand very lightly, with a high grade sanding sponge, just to get things smooth. And I'd also, use this too. There is now a very interesting pattern on the surface, if you do very light coats on the repaint this could serve as a modulation for under the new paint layer. Treat it light a preshade.

Question, is this just on the camo/colored surfaces and not that black sides and underside? If it is just the camo areas, then at least it's not the whole model and you can save a lot of the decals.

Edited by Thom216

51 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

I'd say sand very lightly, with a high grade sanding sponge, just to get things smooth. And I'd also, use this too. There is now a very interesting pattern on the surface, if you do very light coats on the repaint this could serve as a modulation for under the new paint layer. Treat it light a preshade.

Question, is this just on the camo/colored surfaces and not that black sides and underside? If it is just the camo areas, then at least it's not the whole model and you can save a lot of the decals.

Yes just the top half. Will take your advice and try a gentle sand. I appreciate your comments. I’m very much a beginner modeller so my talents are limited. Will be going back to the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire next to try out weathering skills on a much smaller scale!

• Like 2

Good rule of modelling is, if something goes wrong, try and use it as a learning experience as you try to correct it. I've seen a good number of models that look like they should be binned after a mess-up that have come out looking superb with perseverance.

That, or you're left with a paint mule!🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I had a go with the sanding stick and this is the way I’ve left it tonight. 

Some progress…..

I think I’ll just try and clean up a little more then leave well alone before I take it too far. Actually think it’s almost passable as a really dirty aircraft back from a bombing run after flying through lots of flak! 🤣

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Sadly, I think a sand back and repaint is the only solution.

Can I ask you what "Dark Earth" paint you used? It may be just the lighting but it looks way too brown to my eyes. A repaint would give you the opportunity to sort that out.

Pretty sure it was Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown. 

Your hard work paid off, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Oil stains, flak, exhaust, and who knows what else would definitely make for a dirty Lancaster!

• Like 2

That’s a good save, it has come up remarkably well! Next time you paint a plane with WW2 camouflage, try using Dark Earth which is a more accurate colour; your brown is a tad on the reddish side. :) 

• Thanks 1

Great work rescuing the Lancaster, to assist a bit more was going to suggest a drybrudhing in yhe panel centres , but if you use acrylic paint that might not work.

It is looking good as it is though anyway, so leaving at that would be a win win for you.

Great job

Chris

• Thanks 1

Ok- so I’m calling it a day on this model. After my calamitous attempt to weather which I somehow managed to salvage as best I could, I managed to lose the port navigation light clear piece when glueing. No doubt it’ll turn up in the hoover in the future but I spent 10mins on my hands and knees searching for it without success. I re-did the exhaust lines on the wings and glued the tail fins?? back on after removing them to clean. I don’t want to do anything else for fear of ruining it, so here is my Lancaster finished. It will eventually go in a diorama with the Bomber Re-Supply set and RAF personnel but I may have purchased another one for that. Haven’t decided yet. Thanks for all the comments, I definitely had fun building it and look forward to my next project. 

Complete! Exposed engine Cockpit

• Like 6

On 15/08/2022 at 23:15, Wicksy said:

Pretty sure it was Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown. 

Thought it didn't quite look quite right. The actual "brown" colour used by Bomber Command (and earlier in the war, Fighter Command too) was called "Dark Earth". Tamiya does have a"Dark Earth" in their range although I think their shade is too "orangey". My normal "Dark Earth" paint is from Xtracrylix, which to me is pretty much spot on. It looks like the colours you see on full sized preserved WW2 RAF aircraft and it also looks like the shade you see in period colour photos - such as those taken by Charles Brown. 

However, your sanding back and cleaning does seem to have done the trick regarding getting rid of the weathering.

• Thanks 1

I say great save! She looks good. Even for modellers doing this stuff for years, it is still a learning experience.

As for the missing light cover, if it's going into a diorama, you could have a man or two on a scaffold, changing a light bulb.😉 Could also see about sourcing the cover from another kit, or seeing about getting the part direct from Revell.

One critique, is the exhaust trails. The outermost part of the wings cant up high enough that the outermost exhaust trail goes under and not over the wing.

spacer.png

Keep having fun with it!🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I say great save! She looks good. Even for modellers doing this stuff for years, it is still a learning experience.

As for the missing light cover, if it's going into a diorama, you could have a man or two on a scaffold, changing a light bulb.😉 Could also see about sourcing the cover from another kit, or seeing about getting the part direct from Revell.

One critique, is the exhaust trails. The outermost part of the wings cant up high enough that the outermost exhaust trail goes under and not over the wing.

spacer.png

Keep having fun with it!🙃

Thanks- I’m appreciating all the comments as I’m only just starting out but do want to get ‘better’ and eventually make all my builds as realistic as possible. I’ve already started my next build and have printed off some reference photos already! Never thought I’d do that when I started this hobby again!

• Like 1