Pygmy Mammoth

Greetings all!

eeLcIxz.jpg

I recently picked up something a little different for a quick build - a Reaper Miniatures Pygmy Mammoth.

I think it may be part of some fantasy wargaming series... but I’m building it for my wife who teaches 4th grade to go along with a fossil mammoth molar and fur sample she shows the kids as part of their science unit.

SaVPDRc.jpg 

aI3TdaH.jpg

This is a departure from my usual plastic ships, airplanes, and tanks, and the material is a little different, too – some sort of slightly flexible polymer plastic. It comes partly assembled and is beautifully sculpted and well cast. Mold seams were fairly light and scraped away easily, and I attached the tusks and ears with cyanoacrylate. After blending the part joins with Milliput Standard Yellow-Grey two part epoxy putty, I have an assembled mammoth!

• Like 5

2Rq9fT7.jpg

The little mammoth looks cool with his dynamic head-high and three feet on the ground pose, but also makes the free-standing piece a little unstable. Attaching it to a base will help this.

0B18e86.jpg

A prefinished oak wall plug plate from the local hardware store should serve nicely.

4jf1afn.jpg

I’ve used these before – they look good and make for quick, easy wood bases!

dckNIOO.jpg

gDWOFvG.jpg

To keep the mammoth from stepping through the plug holes, a simple “Earth” platform was trimmed from a piece of .060 inch plastic sheet. I penciled in the positions of the mammoth’s feet and rounded down the edges.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

W4MBgD7.jpg

I applied a coating of Golden Gel Mediums Coarse Pumice Gel to give the smooth plastic base some earth texture.

K78moTw.jpg

MmzVxs6.jpg

Unfortunately, the groundwork ended up looking more like coarse beach sand than earth, so after it dried I added a slurry of spackling paste thinned with water over the top of it to de-emphasize the overlarge sand grains in the pumice gel.

n40KWzO.jpg

After it fully dries I’ll paint it and add some baking soda to create a snowy scene.

jYfvrdq.jpg?1

I’ve had good luck with baking soda “snow” before, so a winter mammoth is a natural!

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 5

VPTGmDR.jpg

Before proceeding with the snow I came across Gamers Grass Yellow Flowers in the local hobby shop and thought a “Spring” effect might be fun instead.

8uHLm7F.jpg

Ep5ej9h.jpg

The flowers were attached to the base over a coat of Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth acrylic.

• Like 4

jH8xhtR.jpg

The mammoth was given a base coat of Tamiya XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown lightened with Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan with some XF-3 Flat Yellow and XF-7 Flat Red added to give the fur a nice orange hue (surviving mammoth fur samples are typically orange-ish in color). The tusks were painted with Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan heavily lightened with Flat White.

9q3VBEb.jpg

The mouth, eyes, and areas of skin such as the ears and underside of the trunk were painted with the base color with a little more red added.

rgjtxXj.jpg

After painting the grey toes and black eyeballs, the mammoth was given a thin wash with Grumbacher Raw Umber and Windsor and Newton Burnt Sienna artist’s oils to deepen recesses and give the beast a slightly red-brown filter. Once this dried, a light drybrushing with the base color with a little more Deck Tan added was applied to integrate things and to provide some highlights.

• Like 4

0oFKSYt.jpg

An overall coat of Tamiya Flat Clear TS-80 rattle-can spray knocked down the shine, and dabs of Future acrylic gloss were added to make the mouth look wet and give the eyes sparkle.

XBHfaR0.jpg

CGbQg66.jpg

Mounted to the base, Reaper Miniatures’ Pygmy Mammoth prepares to wow the 4th Graders of Dry Creek Elementary School as he stomps his way through Spring wildflowers!

• Like 6