Targets and Target facilities group build pushing for 2025 !

56 minutes ago, Martian said:

Have we got a start date and duration for this GB yet?

Martian 👽

Sadly no, we need to get 30 members to show interest which will then qualify us to enter into Novembers group build Voting bunfight. If we succeed in being one of the top 7 builds then we can get our dates for next year. I tend to choose early dates but listen to requests. If I can I will attempt to request whichever slot best fits everyones wishes. 

• Like 1

300px-Kettering-Bug.jpgFinally found a good contender for the GB the Kettering Bug, I'm also on the trail of the Aerial torpedo, both would be nice company for my RAF aerial target. 

images.jpgI also like the look of this one the RAE Larynx, although I think it was more an attack drone than a target. 

Which leads to the inevitable questions, do drones qualify? 

Edited by Marklo

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

I would say if Dennis is following the IPMS Facilities SIG guidlines, then drones are good as long as they are target drones. I.e. not used for attack.

What do you reckon Dennis?

Terry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I would say if Dennis is following the IPMS Facilities SIG guidlines, then drones are good as long as they are target drones. I.e. not used for attack.

What do you reckon Dennis?

Terry

I agree with you as Im attempting to use the S.I.G.’s rules as best I can. Im including this link here as I believe its the correct one. 

https://ipmsuk.org/directory/target-facilities/

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

300px-Kettering-Bug.jpgFinally found a good contender for the GB the Kettering Bug, I'm also on the trail of the Aerial torpedo, both would be nice company for my RAF aerial target. 

images.jpgI also like the look of this one the RAE Larynx, although I think it was more an attack drone than a target. 

Hello Marklo, Ive looked these up and sadly both are early attempts at aerial cruise missiles. From the IPMS link I have this. 

Specifically: excluded from this SIG are

Active service drones used for offensive, defensive or reconnaissance purposes as these are covered by other relevant SIGs.”

I wish I could say yes but they don't seem to fit the guidelines. If you have any more info on the subjects please let me know. I would be quite happy to review and change my mind with new info. Let me know if you are still interested and I will add you to the list. 

8 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

I'm guessing I could join, gives me an excuse to pick this up locally languishing on the shelves of my local! 

spacer.png

A great option a QF-86, when doing some digging on f-86’s I found that a number of the USN QF-86’s were former Japanese air force.  I was thinking a drone aircraft myself. I shall add you to the list. 

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Marklo, Ive looked these up and sadly both are early attempts at aerial cruise missiles. From the IPMS link I have this. 

Not to worry. Would a De Havellind Queen Bee would be ok? 

D00-F901-F-1-E05-4257-AD29-149555-F1-F99

Otherwise I’m going to have to hit the interweb to find something suitably quirky :) ( which I’ll probably do anyway)

So I suppose there’s scope for a UAV/Drone/missile GB too….

Edited by Marklo

28 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Not to worry. Would a De Havellind Queen Bee would be ok? 

D00-F901-F-1-E05-4257-AD29-149555-F1-F99

Otherwise I’m going to have to hit the interweb to find something suitably quirky :) ( which I’ll probably do anyway)

So I suppose there’s scope for a UAV/Drone/missile GB too….

According to DeHavilland museum website, these were used as aerial targets for anti-aircraft artillery training. That is a definite yes as far as qualifying. 

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/de-havilland-dh82b-queen-bee/

I will add you to the list. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:23 AM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

I'm guessing I could join, gives me an excuse to pick this up locally languishing on the shelves of my local! 

spacer.png

Beautiful example. I plan to do one of these also, to go along with my US Army QF-86E (below) which is close to finishing apart from needing the wing tank supports!

IMG20220530180126

I'll do a RFI for this one shortly!

Terry

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Beautiful example. I plan to do one of these also, to go along with my US Army QF-86E (below) which is close to finishing apart from needing the wing tank supports!

IMG20220530180126

I'll do a RFI for this one shortly!

Terry

Love the Mouse, brace yourself, lawyers incoming soon 🤪!

Will be getting this kit (hopefully). Wanted to do a JASDF Sabre, but there are exactly 0 decals sheets out there to do this, I'm still hoping the new Airfix Sabre stimulates some action though. Think I will/have to paint those orange stripes though! 

spacer.png

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Think I will/have to paint those orange stripes though! 

Yes I agree re the stripes. A nice challenge though!

I believe many US Navy QF-86F's derived from JASDF F's. If you wanted a JASDF machine, a number of the old Fujimi releases have markings for that.

Terry

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does this mean you’d be interested in joining ? 

No, I was just giving off some free ideas. The only thing here that interests me is the idea of old AFV range targets and they fit into this GB much better, I think. 😁

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

There are also those Canberras and Hawks which pretend to be Exocets for the fleet to aim at. Manned targets if you like.

Absolutely! Just like the old FRADU Hunters. Loads of scope!

These days those Hawks, Hunters and other types have been replaced by these beauties that regularly fly very low over my house, in and out of Bournemouth Airport as they spend time "harassing" any Naval ships practicing off portland and beyond!

Image found on FlickR, copyright as shown.

Falcon 20 | G-FRAU | FR Aviation/ Cobham | 15apr15 | Leeuwarden (EHLW)

I had considered building one of these Falcon's but the starting point would have to be one of the MACH 2 kits which I'm told can be quite a challenge.

17 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The only thing here that interests me is the idea of old AFV range targets and they fit into this GB much better, I think.

Well they would certainly qualify here also, and within the Target facilities SIG itself!

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Denis, how are you? Although my interests lie solely within the AFV sphere, I did purchase a 1/48th Hellcat at Telford last year, with the intention of turning it into a drone or drone controller, as used by the USN in the attack on the dam in the Korean war. When I used to build wingey things, the brightly coloured drones and drone controllers were my main interest, so if the 'Cat is acceptable, count me in.

John.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Denis, how are you? Although my interests lie solely within the AFV sphere, I did purchase a 1/48th Hellcat at Telford last year, with the intention of turning it into a drone or drone controller, as used by the USN in the attack on the dam in the Korean war. When I used to build wingey things, the brightly coloured drones and drone controllers were my main interest, so if the 'Cat is acceptable, count me in.

John.

Most definitely it counts, I was considering doing one of these myself in last years hellcat group build. Ive added you to the list. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for anyone interested so Im going to give this one a bump. Pretty good size of subject matter ranging from static targets to drones to Naval vessels set for torpedo or ASM testing. @Terry1954 would anything used at the Bikini or Nevada test ranges be options ? Say a building or vehicle set near a Atomic test site, or Prinz Eugen at Bikini ? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking for anyone interested so Im going to give this one a bump. Pretty good size of subject matter ranging from static targets to drones to Naval vessels set for torpedo or ASM testing. @Terry1954 would anything used at the Bikini or Nevada test ranges be options ? Say a building or vehicle set near a Atomic test site, or Prinz Eugen at Bikini ? 

Hi Dennis. I reckon those suggestions would be good and in scope as Targets or Target Facilities used for either training in the use of, or testing of weapons/weapon systems.

The scope of the subject is very wide and includes an incredible variety of subjects!

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...