Scania 143M Topline 4x2 Italeri 1/24

So this is gonna be my build of the Scania 143M. My father drove the same truck with the impressive sounding V8. 

Scania

So the idea is to build this for him and gift it to him once it's done. This is my start so far, I've put together the V8 and scratch built a few bits and pieces to it. It's hard getting decent reference photos of the engine but I'm happy with it so far, if I find better pictures then I'll more details to it in the future. I'll be modifying the cabin so it can be levered opened to access the engine compartment, just like how it is like on the real thing for maintenance.

Scania Scania

Dry fitting parts of the chassis, I'll be painting each part separately so thought it would be best to see how it fits together. Don't think they'll be too many problems here.

Scania

Scania

Same with the cabin, dryfitted.

Scania Scania

Scania

I think this cabin is going to be a nightmare to put together, quite a big gap between the doors. I'm not sure how to tackle that. I think maybe paint the cabin inside first and finish that off first. Then somehow try and reduce the size of the gap with a bit of brute force and elastic bands. I'm open to ideas.

• Like 5

That's a great start and I like your mods to the engine, very neatly done. Regarding the cab, it's a nightmare to put together after painting. What I like to do is make sure the cab is properly glued, which makes painting so much easier, and you don't have to worry about ruining the paint job with glue. You can easily modify the interior's floor (cut some material off) so you can slide it in completely from below. Much like most car kits work, with a full body shell. 

If you'd like to see how that would work, I've included a link to my recent build of the 142M, the cab stuff starts on page 3, but the link should take you there.  

This method will "damage" your interior floor a little but it doesn't show from the outside. An alternative would be to paint the interior parts and panels first, build up the cab around it, mask the windows from the outside and paint the cab. 

Be aware of the big front window's fit by the way, it's terrible. 

Good luck with your build, this should be a nice one!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's a great start and I like your mods to the engine, very neatly done. Regarding the cab, it's a nightmare to put together after painting. What I like to do is make sure the cab is properly glued, which makes painting so much easier, and you don't have to worry about ruining the paint job with glue. You can easily modify the interior's floor (cut some material off) so you can slide it in completely from below. Much like most car kits work, with a full body shell. 

If you'd like to see how that would work, I've included a link to my recent build of the 142M, the cab stuff starts on page 3, but the link should take you there.  

This method will "damage" your interior floor a little but it doesn't show from the outside. An alternative would be to paint the interior parts and panels first, build up the cab around it, mask the windows from the outside and paint the cab. 

Be aware of the big front window's fit by the way, it's terrible. 

Good luck with your build, this should be a nice one!

Thanks for that, I've had a closer look at the model and your thread and I think I'll be going down the way you've suggested. It must be quite an old model because there is quite a lot of tidying up to do on the plastic. I've been spoilt with newer molds on other kits recently.

• Like 1

I built the 142 back in about 1985 and I remember the cab being a nightmare.  If I were building it now, I'd definitely assemble the cab shell first and modify the interior to fit after painting.

• Like 1

@BoydieI just did a quick scan though my 142 build and noticed I had an issue with getting the completed cab to fit over the engine. And the hinge system at the front didn't work too well for me either. You might want to double check those areas when you get around to them.

• Like 1