US Halftrack

olympic1911

Hi all,

I know NOTHING about armoured fighting vehicles. The image here was taken about 12 km from where I live, the building to the left still exists, I have been there several times and it is haunting. I would like to build a model of the halftrack that is on the bridge, I gather it is a US halftrack. Which kit can be recommend for this? Dragon and Tamiya have 1/35 scale halftracks which both look pretty fitting to my untrained eye.

236a.jpg

Many thanks for your input

Pete

Edited by olympic1911
typos

57 minutes ago, olympic1911 said:

Dragon and Tamiya have 1/35 scale halftracks which both look pretty fitting to my untrained eye.

Appears to  be a standard M3 half track, though the top tarpaulin looks like it is covering something.   The figure on the left look to have British uniform.

I presume the Tamiya kits is their 1970's vintage.  Don't know how accurate, but will be an easy build.  

@Das Abteilung maybe able to add some more on this.

• Like 1

This picture was taken in Kervendonk in March 1945. Indeed the Americans weren't even in this area. The British and Canadians came in from the north from Kleve, while the Yanks moved up from the south. They finally met in Issum and Geldern which is a few miles south of Kervendonk, but like I said: I know nothing about AFVs. Did commonwealth forces use this half-track too?

Thanks

Pete

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Troy Smith!!

The vehicle is certainly British, not US.  Enlarged you can see the British Z serial number on the side of the engine compartment.  No sign of visible unit markings though.  These would most usually be on the front fenders/mudguards on half tracks.

The extensive stowage suggests that this is probably an HQ vehicle of some sort.  Half tracks were used for very many roles but this one is almost certainly not an infantry section vehicle.  Looking at the shape it is possible, even probable, that this is a hard-top conversion under all that stowage.  The sides are built up very much taller than usual and the normal tilt cover supports would not hold that sort of weight.  This sort of conversion was not unusual for command and HQ vehicles.  The canvas was often retained as a form of disguise and some of the conversions are best described as semi-hard top.

spacer.png

The vehicle is NOT an M3.  It is an M5, one of the Lend-Lease versions.  Broadly similar but with different mechanical parts and a couple of body differences.  As my photo shows the rear corners were curved, not square.  The standard side racks, when fitted, didn't quite fit at the rear and had a couple of extra metal strips to make them fit.  The other big difference was the front wings/fenders/mudguards.  On the M3 these were compound-curved (side-side as well as front-back) whereas on the M5 (and M9) they were simplified and flat-section from side to side and only curved from front-back.  In the original photo this can be seen on the right as you look at it.  I don't think it has the MG pulpit, as many didn't.  It could be a converted M14 AA vehicle (UK didn't like, use or even want these and all were converted to other roles) but it is impossible to tell as the folding top sections of the rear hull can't be seen.  I think that my photo is one of these.

No-one currently makes an M5 kit in plastic in any scale.  There are conversions in 1/72 and 1/35 and IIRC some in resin in 1/72.  However the 1/35 conversions are extremely expensive.  The Shapeways 3D printed one is about US$ 120 (!!!), but that does provide a complete rear body.  I believe this is the only one currently available: Mouse House announced one but this has apparently been cancelled before release.  Sounds like something that Resicast or Accurate Armour ought to turn their attention to.  You wouldn't need the interior detail of course for this subject, and rounding off the rear corners externally-only would be fairly straightforward with some plastic tubing.  The front wings are more problematic to fabricate.

Hope these musings are some help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In Canadian use, they did have the M14 (M5 equipped with a turret mounting a  twin .50 cal), though it was stripped of it's  gun and employed as a standard carrier.  Their operational role was armoured personnel carrier in forward areas, but with modification also used as command vehicle, ambulance, ammunition carrier or General Service load carrier.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/armouredcars/armouredcars.htm

In the posted photo, it does look it could have a circle (C squadron) marking on the side door.   In trying to identify units that was composed of multiple squadrons and using half tracks, there seems to be at least two possibilities:

Reconnaissance Regiment:

-a single troop (4 half-tracks) in each squadron.  A Recce Regiment would be attached to an Infantry Division.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/tactical/recceregiment.htm

Motorized Infantry Battalion

- 3 platoons (4 half tracks in each) per squadron.  The Battalion was attached to an Armoured Division.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/tactical/motorbattalion.htm

The serial on the side looks to be of 8 characters, so that probably takes it out of contention for being Canadian as they usually have CZ followed by the numbers.   Though not necessarily absolute, because some armoured cars like the Staghound, only had the single letter F (instead of CF) in front of the serial. 

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your very interesting input guys. Essentially, the halftrack in the historic image on the bridge was, with all due respect, a mule. It could be an interesting subject, I don't know if many of these have been built before. The kit I have my sights on is the M16 from Trumpeter. We'll see.

Regards

Pete