F-104 Starfigher Book Recommendations

James S.

Thank you my friend. I see you're in San Antonio as well. I have always liked the Starfighter and was thinking of picking up the 1/48 Kinetic F-104A/C & Ammo by Mig F-104G. I like the Norwegian markings in the AMMO by Mig kit.

James

4 hours ago, James S. said:

I have always liked the Starfighter and was thinking of picking up the 1/48 Kinetic F-104A/C

I've been thinking of picking that kit up as well ... as long as I can resist the Italeri 1/32 F-104A (which is proving hard to resist!).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I've been thinking of picking that kit up as well ... as long as I can resist the Italeri 1/32 F-104A (which is proving hard to resist!).

That Italeri 1/32 F-104A kit looks really nice. The Kinetic F-104A/C looks really nice as well. So does the 1/48 AMMO by Mig F-104G kit as I really like that that kit comes with Norwegian markings. Does anyone make F-104 markings in 1/48 for Belgian 104's that are still readily available?

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It depends what you want to know! There are loads of books! What aspect are you interested in?

I'm interested in F-104 in combat and also the history of the F-104 and all the variants and foreign operators of the F-104, especially Belgian, Norwegian, & Danish F-104's. 

10 hours ago, James S. said:

That Italeri 1/32 F-104A kit looks really nice. The Kinetic F-104A/C looks really nice as well. So does the 1/48 AMMO by Mig F-104G kit as I really like that that kit comes with Norwegian markings. Does anyone make F-104 markings in 1/48 for Belgian 104's that are still readily available?

Decals for Belgian aircraft have recently been reprinted by Daco, can be ordered here;

https://www.dacoproducts.com/

• Like 1

Verlinden Lock-On is old-school but very helpful. I like the MMP book but a combination of the new-ish Martin Bowman book from Pen and Sword (I suspect an expanded and better illustrated version of an earlier volume) and Lou Drendel's "F-104 Starfighter Illustrated" from Aviation Art Inc (he's the former Squadron/Signal Illustrator...) is probably a better solution.

This might also be worth a look:

https://www.klp.com.au/product/building-the-italeri-cf-104-starfighter-in-1-32-scale/

best,

M.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 5:49 PM, James S. said:

What are some of the best books on the F-104 Starfighter?

One that stands out for me is 'Starfighter: A Loving Retrospective of the CF-104 era in Canadian Fighter Aviation, 1961-1986'. It's not written for the modeller, but it's such an absorbing read. You can tell that the writers really loved their aircraft. Like feeling guilty when they transitioned to the CF-18. Or the story of the new guy wanting to intercept a dual F-100 over Germany, being surprised by the acceleration and making a very high Mach pass and nearly colliding due to time compression. Then pulling up to lose the speed, and ending up at 70,000 ft, only then realising he wasn't wearing a pressure suit, and could die if the engine would quit. Or the one getting lost over Germany, finding an airfield, but noting it had the 'wrong' kind of airplanes on it 🙂

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 4

Hi James

You probably know this already but I’m pretty sure the Mig Ammo kit is a re boxing of the Kinetic kit. 

If you ever want a more technical/walk around book then the Daco publication on the 104G is second to none. 

HTH

James 

Hi James,

yeah that I do know that the AMMO by Mig kit is a re-boxing of the Kinetic kit. I really like the fact that the AMMO boxing has Norwegian markings.

I did not know that Daco Publications did one of the F-104G. I have the Daco one on the F-14 so I will have to get the one on the F-104G.

James

Edited by James S.
Wasn't finished