Did Austins rust in the 1940s like they did in the 1970s?

This is another vehicle destined for a forthcoming diorama, but which I thought deserved an outing all of its own.

y4mE4CHpKlV32K7W6cRqIRCtI-o1cljdarY5Jp4F

Here's a very old and tired Austin 10HP Utility Vehicle, the Tilly, by Tamiya and me. I had an Austin Cambridge in the 1070s and I can assure you, the rusty arches that you see here are based on my fond memories of that amazingly comfortable behemoth with its sumptuously padded bench seats. It slept four!

y4m-0BdHbUjZvFnrAV54WlrgQpw84-HdtQJT-dy_

It started life brown, or was it green, and then faded to green, or is that brown. Pieces have fallen off...

y4mjzt-bXCWZFC8dUkBagU0shxu5JnRBqb4rqo5x

But someone still fondly polishes the windscreen.

y4mjzt-bXCWZFC8dUkBagU0shxu5JnRBqb4rqo5x

In return for the warmth of the cooling radiator.

y4m64cX0oy61luTxqcyR3RVkgaYJDbyakgo-t_nU

Seats four.

It was  a fun and easy kit and would be at home in a million diorama settings. Highly recommended!

• Like 32

Nice rendition there Bertie. I'm sure they did rust like most cars of that time. My Morris Marina wings were a sieve 🙄. I agree about this kit it's a little gem. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you like, loads of options for livery and cargo and can be an excellent amuse bouche between bigger projects.

I have to say that squaddie leaning on that bonnet is at an exceedingly rakish angle. If I didn't know better I would say he was a little tipsy 🤔.

Andrew

• Haha 4

Just now, APA said:

Nice rendition there Bertie. I'm sure they did rust like most cars of that time. My Morris Marina wings were a sieve 🙄. I agree about this kit it's a little gem. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you like, loads of options for livery and cargo and can be an excellent amuse bouche between bigger projects.

I have to say that squaddie leaning on that bonnet is at an exceedingly rakish angle. If I didn't know better I would say he was a little tipsy 🤔.

Andrew

Yeah, it's a cold morning and he's trying to suck the residual heat from the radiator! He looks less dramatic standing up straight and leaning on the window but I kinda like the rakishness. He's a Bronco figure from the Water Bowser, as you probably realised.

y4m5M3S5byGKf-sPsDGPOwp0s3cbFUoAEj1I0lpn

They go together like bacon and eggs, those two.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Yeah, it's a cold morning and he's trying to suck the residual heat from the radiator! He looks less dramatic standing up straight and leaning on the window but I kinda like the rakishness. He's a Bronco figure from the Water Bowser, as you probably realised.

I thought he looked familiar 😁👍🏻

Andrew

Nicely done again Bertie. Not so sure about the rust. Did these vehicles last long enough to rust? Figures are nice too. They always let me down in one way or another. After donkeys years of trying I just gave up.

Anyways, regards as always

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Robin said:

Nicely done again Bertie. Not so sure about the rust. Did these vehicles last long enough to rust? Figures are nice too. They always let me down in one way or another. After donkeys years of trying I just gave up.

Anyways, regards as always

Pete

I think figures are difficult unless you practice a lot. I used to be reasonably good then I didn’t do any for a year or so and ‘suddenly’ I was rubbish. After half a dozen in the last couple of weeks, I’m beginning to improve again. 

In my experience, an Austin was rusty on its way out of the factory!

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A very suitable vehicle for a diorama, as you mention, together with one or more larger ones... that provide a sense of scale and "bustle" in the scene to be represented.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hm. I hadn’t thought about it that way. Nice idea. 

On 25/04/2022 at 18:10, Bertie Psmith said:

Bacon and eggs.....more like Laurel and Hardy if you ask me!

Nice Tilly to btw!

How accurate the corrosion is given the timescale, wouldn't like to say. I'd guess if the Tilly had been around for 5yrs or so then why not!

Great story telling, as ever.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Bacon and eggs.....more like Laurel and Hardy if you ask me!

Nice Tilly to btw!

How accurate the corrosion is given the timescale, wouldn't like to say. I'd guess if the Tilly had been around for 5yrs or so then why not!

Great story telling, as ever.

Darryl 

The full story of the tilly and why it’s so knackered  comes out in the full diorama yet to be finished. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, edjbartos said:

That's very nice Bertie and yes our Austin Mini was very much like your wheel arches except it was all over! Nice work...👍

Ed

The triangular piece between the front wheels and the front of the doors on mine were rotted through all round and would rise up like wings at speed. A policeman made me tie them down with locking wire. 😄

Well from memory it would have had fibre glass sills for certain...  Oh those Sundays he spent patching up remember the smell so well..  He got fed up with British cars and bought German and Swedish late 70s and never patched a car up after that..

4 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Well from memory it would have had fibre glass sills for certain...  Oh those Sundays he spent patching up remember the smell so well..  He got fed up with British cars and bought German and Swedish late 70s and never patched a car up after that..

My first car was a SIMCA 1000 with chicken wire, newspaper and filler for sills. One day both doors were opened at once and they would never close properly again. I believe it was beginning to break in half so I sold it to a mate.

• Haha 1

On 02/05/2022 at 20:08, Bertie Psmith said:

My first car was a SIMCA 1000 with chicken wire, newspaper and filler for sills. One day both doors were opened at once and they would never close properly again. I believe it was beginning to break in half so I sold it to a mate.

Sold it to a mate… sure they loved it Bertie!! 
  Great build and love the rusty wheel arches.

• Thanks 1