Which aspect of modelling don't you like?

Nigel Bunker

Not many:

PE - sorry, I just hate the stuff.  It's okay for IP's and seatbelts but a monumental pain in the posterior for anything else.  How you lot have the patience to make PE flaps, buckles, straps etc is completely beyond me.

Sanding and filling - when someone that's not AK makes a filler that dries quickly, doesn't shrink or crack, is easy to sand and also is tight-grained enough to to the job I'll be very happy.  Sanding is just the pits, too.  If I had a pound for every time I've started with 180grit and then tried to persuade myself that I didn't need to chase grits up into banker-bonus numbers I could afford to buy fuel.

Painting by brush - crappy finish, ridges, errant bristles...  Grrrr!

Painting by airbrush - excellent finish when it all goes simply, which is about 20% of the time, and massive frustration when it doesn't.  Endless cleaning, disassembly, reassembly, thinning, mixing, stirring...  And as for realising that I've forgotten a small but significant part of the kit which means a repeat of all the above for 20 seconds of spraying....  Double grrrr!

Gloss coating - I've tried every varnish / floor polish known to man and found that none of them are perfect.  I really like Mr. Super Clear, apart from when it randomly bubbles my paint.

Stencils - seriously, WTAF?!!

Thick decals - I'm not pointing fingers here, but some of the most desirable and readily-available schemes are printed on 5mm thick lino looted from CarpetRight's 1970's showroom and are best applied with a hammer and some 25mm clouts.

Invasion stripes - a sort of emotional chastity belt which ensures that June 5th 1944 is pretty much a cut-off point for me.

Getting pigments to stick - they'll stick to anything other than a painted surface, it seems.  Unless, that is, you leave them a week before putting on yet another clear coat (see above).

Other than that, not much!

Cheers,

JRK

I don't like how lately I seem to lack the time, energy, and motivation to crack on with my several stalled projects.  I used to hate sanding and filling, but forced myself to do it and got better at it.  I wish I was better at hand painting fine detail, but it doesn't stop me from doing it so I guess its not really a dislike.

Use to always be painting.  Progress goes pretty quickly until it's time to sling the main color scheme on.  Lately it's decaling.  I've seem to have completely forgotten how to apply decals.  They don't lay right over features, despite lots of Microsol (or similar), slight bit of silvering, decals cracks/splits/shatters, etc.

Has to be photoetch. Some kits I've encountered seem to include an unnecessary amount of photoetch simply so they can boast about how complex it is. One shelved project I'm working on is the 1/200 Nelson with PE upgrades, and the octouple 20mms are just insanely difficult, not worth the effort. 

Also can't stand all the filling and scribing. The putty always goes where I don't want it to go and doesn't fill any gaps. 

I'm not a huge fan, to put it mildly, of photo-etch, particularly if you have to fold it, and rigging biplanes is another thing.  I love First World War two-seaters, but the rigging :wall:  That being the case, why on earth have I just bought a MIrage 1/48 Halberstadt CL.ll?  :doh:

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

That being the case, why on earth have I just bought a MIrage 1/48 Halberstadt CL.ll?  :doh:

cos without the rigging, the building would be all too easy! and you'd know that something was missing from it. 

• Like 1

Painting canopies.

But lately I'm beginning to tire of the whole thing TBH.

I've run out of space to display them on my gig room bookcase which is putting me off buying any more.

Spraying.

Airbrushing is for those that get it right.

Endless cleaning and masking. Getting the airbrush to flow decently before I run out of paint. Get more paint on my hands and when it finally gets on I see all the blemishes that the finish shows or acquires from somewhere.

And then bits get knocked off when I try to remove the lumps that seem to turn up between sessions.

Another less-than-enjoyable aspect of modelling :  sometimes it only leaves time for fast food.

Not in itself always bad, but last night I found myself eating a McNasty.

I don't know which left a worse taste in the mouth, the painfully-spicy burning of the McSpicy, or the fact

that this midget-sized burger cost over £4 !!!

Save your money and put it towards the next model kit instead.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, HoolioPaulio said:

I don't like how lately I seem to lack the time, energy, and motivation to crack on with my several stalled projects.

My brother from another mother.

• Haha 1