Which aspect of modelling don't you like?

Nigel Bunker

18 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Time. I rather enjoy modelling but until I win the big prize on the lottery (or buy a ticket first even) and employ folk to do all the jobs I get at work or round the house I never have enough time to start a load of builds far less get one as far as the shelf of doom these days. I expect most of us are in the same boat. 

Divorce plus Retirement plus Rented property is the answer to the time problem. Worked for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1.  Painting canopies

2.  Painting tyres, especially ones with ill-defined wheel/tyre definitions (one of Airfix's specialities)

3.  Etched brass.

Between the three of them I have at least one excuse for never finishing anything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Time. I rather enjoy modelling but until I win the big prize on the lottery (or buy a ticket first even) and employ folk to do all the jobs I get at work or round the house I never have enough time to start a load of builds far less get one as far as the shelf of doom these days. I expect most of us are in the same boat. 

Wot John said, pretty much word for word. There's nearly always a stack of other jobs higher up the priority list, and spare time seems to evaporate...especially when you have a couple of WiPs running.

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Divorce plus Retirement plus Rented property is the answer to the time problem. Worked for me. 

Did the first one leave any cash for the stash :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

1.  Painting canopies

2.  Painting tyres, especially ones with ill-defined wheel/tyre definitions (one of Airfix's specialities)

3.  Etched brass.

Between the three of them I have at least one excuse for never finishing anything.

Very much this!

Tripping over my heels on the runway.

Seriously, having to pull yourself away from the model, to eat, sleep, and do other non modelling things.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My modelling bugbear is answering questions in modelling forums that ask "Which aspect of modelling don't you like?"

Seriously, Photo Etch and rigging is my worst nightmare when used on small-scale ships.

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Deciding which version or scheme to do if there is more than one option offered oob

No problem, fred @Black Knight Do both.....

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 - Choosing what to build next

2 - Later on deciding on something different

3 - Selecting something from a shop instead 'cos your stash has nothing interesting in it

4 - Finding out that despite owning 400+ paints, there is always at least one you need but have not got!

To be honest, I love the whole process, I see anything tricky/boring/repetitive/impossible a challenge, and what is modelling without a challenge?*

Ray

* Answers on a postcard please

• Like 5

I don't know if I love or hate the lack of very accurate Vulcan kits and the lack of kits of most Vulcan variants....

On the one hand it would be nice to be able to build an accurate Vulcan out the box, or a Vulcan B1 without having to modify half the parts, but on the other hand it gives me an excuse to do the kind of modelling I love: crazy conversions and pedanticaly checking and correcting every detail.

I do really hate painting wheels though.... eighteen of them on Victors and Vulcans! Or 19 if you count the Victor's small tail wheel

• Like 1

Painting:

Or more precisely, everything involving an airbrush. It's not the result, which I'm reasonably happy with but all what's needed to paint a few parts. For 5 minutes painting you need to get the airbrush and compressor out, test everything, get the paint into the airbrush and thin it, clean it thoroughly, put everything back, ... A lot of effort for 5 minutes of painting. Unfortunately, I suck at brush painting. I know there are masters who can paint a whole kit with a brush and make it look like sprayed but although I've tried that many times it just came not out well.

Weathering:

A skill which I'm just not able to master. Apart from some exhaust stains and a panel line wash I don't seem to be able to convincingly replicate the effects (chipping, filters, ...) which are shown by the masters in forums or magazines. I guess I'm just lacking practice and maybe I should stop expecting results which can only result from decades of practice.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 3

Everything listed already could qualify for my least liked part of the hobby.

Masking canopies, painting, cleaning after painting, painting seats, filing and sanding seams, rescribing, decaling, painting wheels/tires, trying to accept that I’m not very good and having realistic standards, not being able to find the decals for the aircraft you want to build, fitting the small fiddly antenna and stuff and continually knocking them off and ending up with a glue mountain and ruined paint, trying to get paint matches, learning of a trivial inaccuracy in the kit that you’d never have noticed but now you’ve read about you can’t ignore, bad instructions (yes, you Kinetic) etc etc.

I’m really struggling to think of a part of the hobby I actually enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Filler said:

I’m really struggling to think of a part of the hobby I actually enjoy.

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe that would be a good time to pack everything up and stay away for a while? Then, after a few months, motivation may be back again? In the end it is a hobby and a hobby should be enjoyable and not a chore.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do enjoy researching builds and buying kits. The rest of it is not so much a chore as a struggle. I struggle to get much bench time, but I think I do actually enjoy it when I do, it’s just a pity I’m not a natural at the skills required and I just can’t help but snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when at the bench. 

• Like 1

If I had to pick one it would be the deciphering of the instruction sheet and wondering what all the hieroglyphics mean. 😆

Jokes aside though,  I am in my infancy at the moment.

I don't have any dislikes as of yet. And as Ray S mentions, it is all a challenge for one and I hope the feeling does not tail off.

15 minutes ago, PlasticUtopia said:

I don't have any dislikes as of yet. And as Ray S mentions, it is all a challenge for one and I hope the feeling does not tail off.

Most dislikes are only the things that people haven't learned do yet.

• Like 1

The one thing that always gets me is decals, silvering is the bane of my modelling life, so I paint markings whenever possible and use HGW wet transfers when needed.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spitfire said:

The one thing that always gets me is decals, silvering is the bane of my modelling life, so I paint markings whenever possible and use HGW wet transfers when needed.

Cheers

Dennis

In other words painted markings look brilliant!

• Like 1