Which aspect of modelling don't you like?

Nigel Bunker

We all enjoy modelling but there must be one bit that makes your heart sink when you get to it.

For me, it is etched brass. I find the finished item can be very flat looking and invariably the bits can be so small they are a nuisance to apply. And so many bits have either been dropped, pinged out of tweezers or shot away when being cut from the surrounding sheet that when I change the carpet in my modelling room, I'll take the old one to the scrap metal merchants 😁.

Well that's my grouse - what's yours?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm not mad keen on painting, as it's quite difficult to get it right, with lots of opportunities to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Maybe that's why a lot of my projects stall at the painting stage? :shrug:

Surely no one likes cutting canopy masks. My personal peeve is the getting together of all the gubbins for final assembly. There's always another little jubbly bit that you forgot to paint or prime or clean or find in the carpet. Always ends up taking three times as long as you thought it would.

• Like 4

Etched brass. I hate it with a passion. I'll use it for seatbelts and nothing else. I won't buy a kit that relies on it for any major parts and doesn't include a plastic alternative. I'm looking at you, IBG and Dora Wings.

Seams. Why is it that you can get a perfect finish and then a week later it's visible again? Does my flippin' head in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Decals and etched are both very good calls but the tedium of painting tank wheels can get on my nerves, especially the ones with the rubber strips.

Also the chrome detailing on some cars. It can be quite daunting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Cleaning up my parts can be tedious.

That's enough about your personal problems ...

All photo-etch is the work of Satan, especially when you're supposed to use flat bits to represent stuff like brake lines or fold it six ways to fit between two atoms.  But when it's made of steel, it's what falls out of Satan's bottom.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Cleaning the airbrush, especially after using a metallic paint. The constant battle to impose some sort of order in my workspace. I know I am not by nature a very tidy person, but I still get annoyed by the state of my work area. No matter how much it gets tidied it very quickly slips back into the usual chaotic state. 

• Like 4

Time. I rather enjoy modelling but until I win the big prize on the lottery (or buy a ticket first even) and employ folk to do all the jobs I get at work or round the house I never have enough time to start a load of builds far less get one as far as the shelf of doom these days. I expect most of us are in the same boat. 

• Like 4