Martin Baker mk.10 seat dimensions

meindert

The Martin Baker mk.10 seat is widely used in several aircraft types, and in modernized versions also in some of the current combat aircraft like Gripen, Hawk, Tornado and many more. 

I am a bit confused about the correct scaled dimensions of MB mk.10 seat.

I have the 1/32 Kinetic Mirage 2000 kits and it seems that the seat parts are "too small" and the width of the seat also in correct. I also have resin seats of CMK/ Quick Easy and those resin seats are much wider.

spacer.png

Now the question is: what is correct? 

I looked at the official MB site, but could not find the dimensions (also not in the brochure)

So what are the actual 1:1 outside dimensions width at the seat pan (to fit between in a cockpit)  and approx. the height of the real seat? These can be used to determine the scaled sizes

Another way to get roughly an idea of particularly the width is to measure up in an actual aircraft

Thanks, Meindert

470 mm outside to outside across the parallel portion of the seat pan

about 1290 high from base of gun to top of head box although shackle  and deployment line sit a few cm above that 

i currently have access to one 

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JagRigger said:

470 mm outside to outside across the parallel portion of the seat pan

about 1290 high from base of gun to top of head box although shackle  and deployment line sit a few cm above that 

i currently have access to one 

spacer.png  ( mk.10 photo from MB site)

Thank you for measuring up a real MB Mk.10 seat JagRigger  🙂

Particularly the headrest looks different between mk.10 types. But I am assuming the base and seat structure and seat pan base to be similar. E.g a Jaguar headrest is different than of a Gripen etc.

In 1/32 scale that is:   470/32 = about 14,7 mm wide and roughly 129/32 = 40 mm heigh though the last dimension may vary. 

The CMK / Quik Easy resin mk.10 seat is about 2,3 mm too wide, height looks reasonable good. That explains that the CMK seat often did not fit in a kit tub. 

The Kinetic Mirage 2000 seat  lacks about 2,5 in wide, height looks reasonable good. I already had the impression that the kit seat really looks "too small", so will make it wider  particularly at the lower structure and seat pan. 

interesting: when comparing both... the difference is nearly 5 mm! "the truth lies somewhere in between" 😉

Edited by meindert
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JagRigger said:

No - it's from a Tornado. Jaguar ( british anway ) had MK9B3 at the end

OK. I opened up my Tornado 1/32 kit and found a bought Quick Boast resin seat set for "a Tornado" seat. So that's the Mk.10H.

It measured up quite nicely to your measured and actual data and seems correct in 1/32 scale. Good to know. 😉

2 hours ago, JagRigger said:

I run an Air Cadet Sqn.....

Oh no wasnt meaning anything besides thats not a 10H(SHAR) seat.There used to be one at the trsining school at VL would love to get my mitts on one....someone at VL possibly did ....good for them ...15 years undetected crime and all that LSGC 😄

Thank you for the photos Julien,  which seem to confirm differences in the head box and smaller bits of the mk.10

interesting to see the fit/ attachment points for some of the harness straps at different locations.

• Like 1