PK-83 SdKfz 251/1 Hanomag - FINISHED

Hello everyone. With plenty of time still to go I thought I'd get this out of the stash.  A nice little street scene with this one but the old SS recruiting poster I remember from the original Matchbox version has, perhaps unsurprisingly, been replaced on the decal sheet by a less contentious one instructing people to take cover during an air raid. Anyway, this little halftrack was always a favourite of mine so I'm looking forward to having another crack at it. 😀    

spacer.png

• Like 10

So good to see you tackling another one of Matchbox's AFV kits Ian, however after the excellent job you did on the P-47 I was kinda hoping for another kit with wings! 

I'm sure this Hanomag will add greatly to your already impressive Matchbox collection. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So good to see you tackling another one of Matchbox's AFV kits Ian, however after the excellent job you did on the P-47 I was kinda hoping for another kit with wings! 

I'm sure this Hanomag will add greatly to your already impressive Matchbox collection. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Thanks Dave.  Sadly I have no more Matchbox wings in the stash. In fact, the only other one I've built since the 1970s is this Me 410 which I posted on BM a while back. I wish I'd stocked up before prices went mad on eBay. 😔   

spacer.png   

• Like 4

I agree with Greg, that 410 does look the goods. No worries Ian, hopefully a few cheap Matchbox aircraft kits will fall your way in good time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I have a soft spot for the 251 series - built 3 Fujimi 1/76 and many years ago a rather impressive Tamiya? 1/35 one. I keep meaning to buy the "austerity" version - think it was the 251 Ausf D which was simplified and lost some of the nice sloping side panels.

Pete

• Like 2

Construction of the little SPW is now complete and a bit of undercoating done. Matchbox chose to do an early version of the 251 - an Ausf B - so the paint scheme will have to be boring panzer grey, and the setting France 1940 or perhaps the early stages of Operation Barbarossa in 1941.   

spacer.png

As is the case with some of the other Matchbox armour kits, the figures are slightly overscale - more 1/72 than 1/76, although I love the dramatic pose of the chap throwing himself out of the back. And their uniforms are suitable for the early war period (unlike the half-track's armament of two nicely moulded MG42s..) 

spacer.png

• Like 9

It hasn't taken long to get the painting and decaling stage done. I've used a much lighter grey than is strictly accurate, but a truer Dunkelgrau would I think overpower such a small model and obscure what detail there is.  Not sure how much weathering to do on this one, but I'll see how it looks when the base is done.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

The finished model, completely out of the box and with the kit decals. I used Tamiya paints for the SPW and the base, and Vallejo for the figures. This was followed as usual by some weathering with oils and pigments.     

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

• IanC changed the title to PK-83 SdKfz 251/1 Hanomag - FINISHED

Good call on the lighter grey! I used Hu67 on mine and it looks black. Good to see the figures in use as nature intended too.

Seeing yours finished reminds me I need to give myself a KUTA!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Thanks Adrian. Yes Dunkelgrau is one of those colours that doesn't translate well to a small scale model. 

Good luck with yours!