Minor public service announcement - broken coffee mugs

RobL

Hey all

A few years ago, not more than 5, I repaired the handle of one of my coffee mugs.  I used JB Weld steel reinforced 5 minute epoxy, mostly because I knew the mug is porous, being ceramic, and superglue would have been largely a waste of time.  I didn't pin it, because I don't think that's possible without doing more damage whilst drilling.

Today I was holding the mug, by the handle, lifting it out of the sink, which had hot water in it for washing up, and the handle gave way.

I'm guessing the hot water we use in the sink for washing up, over time, softened up the JB Weld and today it finally let go.

So, word to the wise, beware of repairing mugs, the glue will likely fail eventually.  I'm a little concerned now as my 65yr old mother (still recovering from a double heart bypass) has a mug that I repaired the same way about a year or so after mine broke, that she uses daily for coffee...

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reckon getting five years out of any regularly used coffee mug is pretty good going. To get up to five years with one that has been repaired is impressive I reckon. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I reckon getting five years out of any regularly used coffee mug is pretty good going. To get up to five years with one that has been repaired is impressive I reckon. 

Getting five years out a marriage without having a coffee mug thrown at one is more than impressive :D too. 

I’ve always binned a mug once the handle goes. You can’t trust a repair like that and no one ever says thanks for a lap full of just boiled tea 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 4/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, Mr T said:

I reckon getting five years out of any regularly used coffee mug is pretty good going. 

Five years?

d87e2d4e2ac6e156eb903289625fabb5.md.jpg

This firm ceased to exist back in '98,I doubt that there's many of these mugs left.

For anyone in the know I was the Plant Man at Bain Aggregates.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Village Photos URL.
  • Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, Mr T said:

five years out of any regularly used coffee mug is pretty good going.

What the blazes do you guys do with them?

I've got mugs in use that date well from the previous millenium.

• Haha 2

If any cup ever shows sign of damage at casa me, it goes straight in the recycling.  I have a lovely lower-case J-shaped scar (minus the dot) on one of my middle fingers from a cup handle giving way while I was washing it, stabbing me to the bone on New Years Eve one year, and almost making me miss a party I was going to.  It also kinda hurt :owww:

• Sad 2

Somewhere I have, or had, some brand of ceramic glue that I used to fix a few coffee mug handles and a couple of other ceramic items. The last repair was at least 7 years ago. None have fallen apart yet. 

I just wish I could remember what the glue was called or what brand it was.

Chris

27 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I just wish I could remember what the glue was called or what brand it was

That sort of thing usually sticks in the mind...

• Haha 4

On 4/25/2022 at 9:20 PM, Alex Gordon said:

Five years?

e76865bd-a744-459c-9704-96c094770e91.JPG

This firm ceased to exist back in '98,I doubt that there's many of these mugs left.

For anyone in the know I was the Plant Man at Bain Aggregates.

But that is a broken mug.

Good evening,

May I suggest this :

https://go-araldite.com

(Switch to English language with the top right corner flag)

or 

https://go-araldite.com/ideas/step-by-step-guides/638-how-to-fix-a-vase

Not only handles but multiple parts broken cups, plates or saucers.

Lasts even with intensive dish washer use.

2 components syringes (rather than tubes) insure proper quantity release and avoid spoiling.

Different kinds sold depending on material to be repaired. Regular or fast setting.

Might be available under the name Sader.

Edited by AV O