Tamiya 1/24 Peugeot 206 WRC 2002

While I wait for paint to arrive so that I can continue with my NSX build I decided to make a start on option B that I let my friends choose from. That kit in particular would be the Tamiya Peugeot 206 WRC 2002 which raced in the years that I followed WRC intensely before adult life got in the way. Given the kit comes with 4 seperate options I'm leaning heavily towards building this in Richard Burns trim which while I know he was all that competitive in the Peugeot I respected him and was rather sad when he died a few years later. 

Kit shots below:

0348Pklh.jpg?1

iJrcw5Zh.jpg?1

3BZnkIQh.jpg

0kwRStuh.jpg

I did manage to score a detail set for the kit which isn't comrehensive but will allow for a little more detail to be added to the build. I'm also unlikely to use tamiyas specified TS17 for the build in favour of TS76 which is mica silver. This is partly becuase I have a can of that colour in stock and to me it matches more closely with the colour of the actual car which matters to me. I'm planning on carbon fibre decalling the parts that need it on both the inside and the outside as they will be fairly visible once the kit is assembled. I'm not really planning on using the provided figures as they don't suit the way that I display my models

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

That's a very nice detailing kit you've got there. I've recently finished the 2001 version of the same car, here: 

There's a WIP thread in the usual part of the forum also.

12 hours ago, galaxyg said:

That's a very nice detailing kit you've got there. I've recently finished the 2001 version of the same car, here: 

There's a WIP thread in the usual part of the forum also.

The detailing kit was fairly difficult to find and my first attempt to get it from Korea failed as they weren't posting to Australia. Hobby Easy had one though so I ended up getting it from there. Your wip was illuminating and has given me a couple of pointers for where I might need to modify my kit to get it to work. I'll probably just go with the decals for the red but might also see if something like italian red (TS8) is a close enough match. I'm still thinking the body is going to be painted Mica Silver (TS76) instead of gloss Aluminium as it seems to match closer to my eyes than the Tamiya determined colour. 

I had a look at the decals last night and a few of them are a little yellowed so I have left them out on my desk for the day as I've had good luck using UV light to whiten decals in the past. Being tamiyas own decals and a rather old set at that I'm hoping that they aren't too delicate when it comes to decalling the car.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drgarbanzo said:

Your wip was illuminating and has given me a couple of pointers for where I might need to modify my kit to get it to work.

I'm glad it was useful in some way. I look forward to following your build of this kit.. always interesting seeing how people tackle the same or similar. And the 206 is a great looking rally car. For sure the red of the decals and the red of the paint on my build are not identical - maybe I could have got away with decaling it, I just don't like decaling around corners. Although one day, when I build that JACCS Accord, I'm going to have to.

I have a road car kit built in Mica Silver. It's a slightly blue-ish tint when put side by side with Gloss Aluminium.  I've not seen a real 206 WRC so can't really say what's more accurate.

Edited by galaxyg

A small update. I made it to the hobby shop near work this afternoon and managed to pick up some paint. After careful consideration I ended up going with the kit colours being TS17 and TS49. I painted the lower sills and sides of the chassis in bright red this evening which I only got a photo of the body with it's red. While I know there is a pile of overspray and I probably should have masked it I'm tired enough after the first week back teaching kids that I didn't think of it beforehand. On the other hand a large majority of it will be covered by the main silver colour so it should all come out in the wash. 

I1Q1UY1h.jpg

I would have picked up some black spray while I was there but they had no black tamiya spray of any variety and while I have some on the way it appears to have been doing laps of a postal facility in Sydney since Tuesday. According to the postal service it is still on time which is a little annoying. It also serves as a reminder to not order my paints from Melbourne on a Friday because they seem to get eaten by the system in the process where as items ordered on a sunday turn up faster. 

Amongst the black paint is the white I need to continue on with my other wip and it looks like it'll be too cold over the weekend to be able to airbrush outside as I have to do. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNING work so far.

:wow: 

She is looking IMPRESSIVE. 

:wub:

Thanks for the compliments. 

With the arrival of paint I have been able to crack on with the body for this one. Before I apply the silver I masked off the red, primed the rest of the body with tamiya grey before applying semi gloss black. The black I feel is important because metallic colours always look a little flat to me if applied straight over grey. I am going to maks the areas that need to remain black before applying the silver. 

67KsDCOh.jpg

VC3vr14h.jpg

D8yjqHyh.jpg

Much like my nsx build it is less than ideal painting conditions outside but leaving them in the warmest room in the house seems to be doing the trick.

More soon

• Like 3

Two updates in a day is rare for me but today has been a productive day all round. I manged to get the satin black on the parts that needed silver and then masked up the parts that needed to remain satin black. The masking kinda worked but also had some overspray which doesn't surprise me given the thinness of the areas I was mask up. Once the paint has dried sufficently I'll be able to get the decal process started. 

vhts9REh.jpg

2HDZtDoh.jpg

kNn0uIOh.jpg

0W3PNI7h.jpg

UY2mQAPh.jpg

JQ5xjcbh.jpg

I also got the floorpan painted along with the roll cage but no photos as yet

• Like 7

Another update on the Peugeot. I managed to get all of the decals onto the body and being tamiya's own decals they went onto the body far better than expected. Biggest issue I had was with one of the clarion decals that attempted to disintigrate as I removed it from the backing sheet. I've managed to mostly repair it and it shouldn't be super noticeable once the car is done. It's been drying all week so is ready for clear. If I had my way I'd use zero paints premixed stuff but it's getting cold out so I'll use TS13 and do my best to not have it eat my decals which I've had happen twice previously.

ykY0i2Th.jpg

sq40lbuh.jpg

1spHNlZh.jpg

5kKAYSrh.jpg

FkskU66h.jpg

More soon

• Like 7

Looking good. I know where you're coming from with the TS-13, like you I've had it attack decals, but the last time I used it over some (Hasgawa decals) it seemed to play nice and there wasn't any reaction. I was very careful to give it three light mist coats first before a lightish wet coat, then two proper wet coats so it is possible that the mist coats provided some protection to the decals and that they may have suffered if I'd gone straight in with the wet coats.

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Looks very neat - good luck with the clearcoat.

Keith

Thank you for the kind words.

2 hours ago, Spiny said:

Looking good. I know where you're coming from with the TS-13, like you I've had it attack decals, but the last time I used it over some (Hasgawa decals) it seemed to play nice and there wasn't any reaction. I was very careful to give it three light mist coats first before a lightish wet coat, then two proper wet coats so it is possible that the mist coats provided some protection to the decals and that they may have suffered if I'd gone straight in with the wet coats.

I ended up doing 5-6 coats over as many hours and it doesn't appear to have attacked the decals which is good but I'll have a closer look at it when I get home this evening. I started working on the chassis and running gear last night and will hopefully have some pictures to show soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update which has been slow in coming cause its report season at school and after 2 years of the chaos of Covid I'm finding myself fully exhausted by the time I get home from work in the evenings. 

Work has begun on the chassis with the underside now mostly done. I am at an impasse though because I can't decide if I want to paint all of the sump guards/ bash plates black per the instructions or if I want to paint one and leave the other 2 clear. I know there are ejector pin marks on the clear parts which detracts from it a little but I also don't want to hide all of the details that are under the plates.

KQxPOSMh.jpg

5WaLYpSh.jpg

S5ju4x8h.jpg

Everything need a wash and a decalling session to finish things up but then it will be onto the interior fit out.

• Like 5

Personally if sump guards are clear I leave them like that , as I hate covering over suspension parts that have often taken time and effort to build up . Sadly many kit manufacturers don't tend to think this way and expect you to paint the guards . The Belkits Fiesta had full length PE guards that covered up everything  . I blue tacked this on , so at least it can be removed to show off the underside of the car . The Audi I'm currently building has painted guards , which I'm again blue tacking on . The Nunu Porsche rally kit has clear guards BTW

Gary . 

Personally I always paint my sump guards as I never turn my finished models upside down (it also hides my usual shabby paintwork on underside details! :) )

Your underside details are looking very nicely done.

Keith

• Like 1

While I've not had this yet, my next build will have just such a dilemma - do I leave the underside clear to show the 300SL spaceframe or paint it so it looks better. My thoughts are very much tending towards painting it, but I think this is always going to be a question which comes down to personal preference with no 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

• Like 2

After an evening of thinking I ended up going both ways on the sump guards. The majority of it was painted satin black after a little masking and as you can see in the second photo the clear sections looked a little to clean so I added a few coats of diluted smoke to tint the remaining plastic. I think the finishing touch will be a coat of matt varnish to tone things down a little cause I don't like how shiny its ended up. 

NVg9aOYh.jpg

PaifPuBh.jpg

NJhMZOOh.jpg

I'd add the clear coat tonight but its current 7 C outside and wet which does not make for good clear coating weather.

More soon.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...