Airfix 1/24 Sea Harrier FRS1: second thoughts on canopy shape

I think that's probably the most realistic portrayal of that kit I've seen completed. And the EDSG looks spot on to my eye. 

Excellent result and worth the time and extra detail you put in 👍 Really looking forward to some action photos or video of the lighting/dynamic features 😉

Many thanks everyone for your kind comments. Before we do the lights HUD and intruments panel I thought I put up some of these for fun. It was quite hard to think of a way of showing 'everything up' so I decided to borrow an idea from Gerry Anderson and have the model 'fly'.

A low level pass over the garden...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And coming in to land...

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was done with fishing line, a bit of a touch up here or there with MS paint - and some degreee of trepidation. One screw-up and it would have been total loss of the airframe.

• Like 25

• sohoppy changed the title to Airfix 1/24 Sea Harrier FRS1: lights, cockpit and HUD

The lights on this are fairly basic. There are two red flashing warning lights, dorsal and ventral, and these were made using flashing surface mount LEDs. After wiring these I found out, too late, a simple way to make the flashing coordinated. But the lights being out of sync on this model is not to big an issue because it is surprisingly hard to see both at the same time. The nav lights are all done by fibre optics connected to LEDs in the nose cone - where they can be reached if they fail.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The illuminated HUD is very hard to photograph because, well, I can't get my phone into the cockpit for fairly obvious reasons but this pic gives an idea. The effect was made by using some of the black covered film from the Flightpath instrument dials and carefully scraping an approximation of a HUD display with a fine needle point. This is then illuminated from below with a LED and the lens above was made using my new favourite gloup - UV setting resin. The radar was done the same way. I also used the resin for the landing lights.

And, yes, I know the windshield framing needs a touch up. Incidentally, I think I placed the rudder predals too far forward following the dimensions on the Heritage/Simian cockpit tub. This means you can't really see them. I think they should be about 3 mm aft.

spacer.png

Well, that's it for now. I'll make short Youtube video of the controls working and post a link here in due course. Thanks for looking.

• Like 32

39 minutes ago, sohoppy said:

Incidentally, I think I placed the rudder predals too far forward following the dimensions on the Heritage/Simian cockpit tub. This means you can't really see them. I think they should be about 3 mm aft.

Well, they were adjustable for leg length so the last pilot must have been a lanky lad.

sohoppy ,

Absolutely AMAZING  Sea Harrier.

:heart:

Your build is outstanding  and Top Notch Sir.

:wow:

I love the Photographs   especially the low level garden fly past. They look SO realistic!!

Those night time Photographs  with lights are superb. 

Thank you for your efforts and sharing your joy  with us.

KUDOS.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well, they were adjustable for leg length so the last pilot must have been a lanky lad.

Yes, it would be odd if you couldn't I suppose. But whomever they got to adjust them would need to be something of a contortionist. Not a lot of room down there.

19 minutes ago, sohoppy said:

Yes, it would be odd if you couldn't I suppose. But whomever they got to adjust them would need to be something of a contortionist. Not a lot of room down there.

Nah, it is usually a handwheel at the foot of the instrument panel. The pilot does the adjusting to suit himself.

• Like 1

A superb model with a whole load of dedication, time, sweat and no doubt a few tears and obscenaties at times. Extremely well done and something to be very proud of indeed.

I look forward to seeing more of it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sohoppy said:

The lights on this are fairly basic. There are two red flashing warning lights, dorsal and ventral, and these were made using flashing surface mount LEDs. After wiring these I found out, too late, a simple way to make the flashing coordinated. But the lights being out of sync on this model is not to big an issue because it is surprisingly hard to see both at the same time. The nav lights are all done by fibre optics connected to LEDs in the nose cone - where they can be reached if they fail.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The illuminated HUD is very hard to photograph because, well, I can't get my phone into the cockpit for fairly obvious reasons but this pic gives an idea. The effect was made by using some of the black covered film from the Flightpath instrument dials and carefully scraping an approximation of a HUD display with a fine needle point. This is then illuminated from below with a LED and the lens above was made using my new favourite gloup - UV setting resin. The radar was done the same way. I also used the resin for the landing lights.

And, yes, I know the windshield framing needs a touch up. Incidentally, I think I placed the rudder predals too far forward following the dimensions on the Heritage/Simian cockpit tub. This means you can't really see them. I think they should be about 3 mm aft.

spacer.png

Well, that's it for now. I'll make short Youtube video of the controls working and post a link here in due course. Thanks for looking.

But does the altimeter move when you pick it up .....😂

Seriously amazing work 👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies this has taken so long but here, finally, is the promised short youtube video of my Sea Harrier's working features - flight controls lights etc. The editing was done in a bit of a hurry - which shows. The filming, on the other hand, was done by my eldest daughter with her customary humour and patience...

For anyone interested, my channel has quite a lot of other kit conversions of one kind or another, armour, ships, rc submarines etc, many of them doing quite unexpected things.

• Like 5