Tempest JN766 markings

Meatbox8

So, contrary to the Airfix kit's markings I've been unable to find any photographic evidence of JN766 WITHOUT the Tempest/Typhoon identification markings under the wings.  As I'm an extraordinarily lazy modeller any photo of said aircraft without these markings (D-Day ID markings as well while we're about it) would be gratefully received. 

Failing that if anyone can tell me the the dimensions of the Tempest/Typhoon markings I would be almost as grateful, but if they can convert those to 1/72 equivalence they can have free access to my private pension fund.  If I had one, that is.

JN766 flew with 486 Sqn between 4 April 1944 and 10 June 1944.

It had been delivered with factory-applied identity stripes as described above but these were over-painted in MSG following instructions dated 20 April 1944 (applicable to all Tempests).

It would have had D-Day stripes too, painted on c.4 June. So you have a choice ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I’ve literally just masked off my JN766. I did 4.2mm for the 12” black stripes and 8.4mm for the 24” white stripes. It’s actually a little more than that, but I doubt you’d be able to measure and cut that accurately!

Cheers,

Mark.

Very helpful.  Thank you.  If not for this kit then certinaly one in the future, or a Typhoon for that matter.

7 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

JN766 flew with 486 Sqn between 4 April 1944 and 10 June 1944.

It had been delivered with factory-applied identity stripes as described above but these were over-painted in MSG following instructions dated 20 April 1944 (applicable to all Tempests).

It would have had D-Day stripes too, painted on c.4 June. So you have a choice ...

Great.  So there would almost have certainly been a couple of months when the aircraft carried no underwing markings?

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Great.  So there would almost have certainly been a couple of months when the aircraft carried no underwing markings?

Yes. It was longer without the stripes than with them.

• Thanks 1